• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Ness Got Nerfed!"

I'm sure everyone here has heard, read, or even said this after looking at Ness' change log in 3.5. Between the various changes to a few of his staple moves, it seems many are struggling to adapt in the early game. This isn't exactly unexpected, but there are a shocking number of people looking at this issue through a very narrow scope. So let's take a step back from our big, red panic buttons and look at the big picture.

Ness received several changes that removed a number of options that he relied on in the previous patch. I assume you're all familiar with the change log, but if you've had your head under a rock for whatever reason, you can find the change log [here].

Point 1: Significant nerfs aren't exclusive to Ness.

Open a new tab, and go to the character discussion. Do it. Seriously, I'll wait.
After that, pick a character, and just scan their board. I'd wager with about 80% certainty that you will see a similar scenario in the particular character board you just visited.
"Character X lost Option A, and now won't stand a chance!"
"Option B was not broken in 3.02, so why is it gone now?"
"Option C was our only answer to Character Z, that match up is impossible now!"
Bonus points for the exercise if you happened to visit the Squirtle or Sonic boards.
(<3 u squirtman and sanic gaiz)
Now, the purpose of that exercise that you probably didn't do anyway (even though I waited for you ;~; ), is to show that even though some of his options were somewhat nerfed, we need to realize that the entire game changed around him as well. Compared to a 3.0 character, Ness would indeed struggle with a significant chunk of the cast. Remember however that there obviously aren't any 3.0 characters left in this game.

Point 2: Ness' nerfs are far less significant than they appear on paper.

Again referring back to the change log, the negatives certainly stand out. PK Fire, PK Thunder1&2, and Down Throw all received nerfs of varying severity. It looks grim at first, but take a look back when the sting has worn off (and after you've played more than a couple of games with the new Ness).

Although PK Fire doesn't lock shields and force a buffered roll anymore, it also can't be power-shielded after it detonates. The pillar also falls faster, so instances of hitting a character's forehead only for it to hover above them harmlessly will be much rarer. The damage and duration nerf seems significant at first, until you realize how rarely someone actually gets hit by the full pillar. Shield activation is the only objective nerf here, and it's compensated by the extra shield-stun given to the first hit. The move is barely worse at all, and significantly more well designed.

PK Thunder lost some shenanigans, but given the nerfs to recoveries across the board? We got off extremely easy. As an added bonus, we can counterpick to Smashville and Yoshi's Island without fearing for our lives. The Red Balloon/Fly Guy Alliance rules the sky no longer!

Down Throw is a straight nerf, and there really isn't an upside to it. Which is okay, as dthrow was extremely toxic in the first place. It still combos, but we'll have to be a little more clever about our follow ups at mid-high percents.

Point 3: Don't look at what changed; Look at what didn't.

So, PMDT took some of our toys away. It's human nature for a recent negative to stand out more than a past positive, so a lot of us are pretty bummed. However, consider that the most significant nerfs to most characters was recovery, and that Ness' UpB distance remains unchanged (from the furthest in the game by a lot). Now, this helps Ness in two ways. Firstly, it means a significant number of characters who could go extremely deep offstage to intercept him no longer can. Secondly, it means that our opponents generally have far fewer ways back to the stage. Thirdly, we can chase opponents exactly as far as we could in 3.0, whereas they can bounce back from a lot less.
This is just an example, of course. Many of Ness' tools have found new applications and tricks in a similar manner, and (in my early opinion, at least) we could not ask for a better platform for his strengths to shine through than 3.5.

In conclusion, 3.5 brings us a new Ness, but certainly not an inferior one. Though he has lost some tricks, due to the many, many changes present not only in the rest of the cast, but the physics of the game itself, he still finds himself very well off in the early metagame. I urge everyone move forward, adapt to the change, and above all else: play. No Johns, guys.

Also seriously, we can use pajamas in doubles now. That's pretty sick, right?

Last edited:

QUBiX

Smash Cadet
Down throw is still really viable IMO. You don't see the effects of the KBG until 70%(+/- 10%). Overall I like down throw a lot more than before. The BKB/KBG tweaks really helped Ness in most situations. I feel like I can follow up just as well, and if not better than before. Also, the KBG tweak allows us to get more reliable combos on fast fallers. I've noticed I can get more consistent damage on spacies off my confirms which is pretty nice. With this spacies can't DI/SDI back as well at higher percents to get that guaranteed tech roll back to space Ness out, and the buffed dash attack allows for a great follow up in this situation. The dash attack has also opened up other combo possibilities. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i feel like it can send the opponent farther behind him when they reach mid percents while remaining in hit stun the whole time. I've found out that grounded PK fires can be used as a link after connecting with the dash attack in this situation and opens up some crazy possibilities.

Boiko

:drshrug:
FTR there is an inadvertent bug that doesn't allow Ness to sweet spot while facing backwards. So recovering from under the stage becomes impossible/difficult. I brought this to the attention of my good pal who is a dev team member and he said it isn't supposed to be that way and will be addressed.

Great post zeej. I actually like new dthrow. Allows you to combo floaties early and rack up early damage.

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
You also forgot to mention that even though PK Fire doesn't activate on shields anymore, the number of times PK Fire would actually hit someone out of their shield in 3.02 was significantly higher than that of PK Fire hitting the opponent in shield.
Not to mention one of the biggest buffs for PK Fire was that you cannot shield the next hit of PK Fire if you get hit by the initial bolt which is pretty amazing.
PK Fire lost some, but got stuff in return which makes up for it.

SiLLyDJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SiLLyDJ
3DS FC
4399-0933-5544
I hate the new down throw. I cant go in super hard anymore and Ness' dthrow was a very strong part of Ness' grab game. I mean sure, nerf PK Fire to nothing idc, but I wish they would of never touched his downthrow. It just means that Ness can chain grab fast fallers and spacies for 8 years. If that was their original goal then they should have nerfed his up throw because I dont ever see anybody use his upthrow for anything...

Uthrow is actually the best throw for Space Animals at low percents.

The new dthrow is still an amazing throw, it just won't give you the option to do basically any aerial you want, regardless of DI, or confirm into uair/bair at kill percents on most characters like the old one did.

Keep in mind that most characters with guaranteed kills off of throws were nerfed in some way.

Fox's uthrow > upair still works.
Hence why I said "most". Fox's set up is quite a bit more DI/weight/fall speed dependant than Ness' old dthrow was, however.

We've still got bthrow for kills, and fthrow has gotten far more potent as an edge guard set up since recoveries have gotten worse. Dthrow will still set up platform chases and other fun stuff at high percents, we just don't have the guaranteed kill on most characters anymore.

Eltrion

Smash Cadet
Okay dudes, I just spent some hours grinding out the new Ness. He's actually pretty sweet now.

Biggest difference is you can't rely on PK Fire to win you the Neutral game anymore. Fairly self explanitory. Can't force roll out of shield.
On the bright side, due to the landing changes, magnet feels much more natural to me, so that is another tool for the neutral along with fair. For grounded stuff, Dash attack still works if a little risky, but RAR -> WD -> Dsmash also seems easier and better. Also a little unsafe bit has its uses. I have to use fire more carefully now, so things like Magdash -> WD back to bait out a whif, to punish with Fair or PK Fire.

Biggest difference in Ness favour is when edge guarding... Landing A Dair or flash seems a lot more final now. Angle on flash seems better somehow.

Dthrow nerfs is insubstantial it still works great in most situations, just less flexible. If there is no possible followup, thUN FThrow or Bthrow would put them off stage, so don't mechanically throw down. If they are as far off stage as a horizontal throwe would put them at that Percent, then you really have the advantage.

3.5 ness is an absolute beast at edge guarding. You make the right choice, and they are not coming back. Ness can go deeper than basically anyone but jiggs now.

The main thing is though. You have to be smart, don't rely on anything. You have to be good, fundementals win matches now. You have to be safe, Don't get hit, ness' fencing may not be as good as it was in 3.0, but it is still good enough to keep people out.

Ness is better now than he has ever been before, relatively speaking. But you'll have to work harder now, going to have to look a bit more like Lucas.

Anyway I've fully embraced the changes, the greater emphasis on fundimentals and thought will make us better smash players if we are driven to reachive what was given to us by Gimmicks before.

Go for it.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I love how literally no one has mentioned his amazing ftilt yet. He has fantastic shield pressure/defensive options between that and his other tilts.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
Dawwww, I guess pkt2 going further was just "I didn't read change log" stupidity.

FAUGH!

No srs I actually play a lot better as ness after 3.5;

My main has changed.

And peach didn't even get nerfed.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
The new waveland/dash physics help ness a lot. Well maybe not help, but he definitely feels a lot better, and his shine is a better tool because of it.

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
Yeah, I've pretty much changed my stance on the whole 'nerf' debate. In all honesty, my opinion on the situation was mostly due to my poor knowledge of Ness's meta as it stands right now. The changes have gotten me to bunker down and hone my Ness game to a point where I'm happy with it. I'm trying to rely more on punish grab or DJC Aerials to begin combos rather than PKF -> grab, and I'm being smarter with my PKT2.

BTW, has anyone experimented with Ness's newfound ability to DACUS with the rest of 'em? I had hoped it would lead to at least some interesting yoyo shenanigans, but it seems that DACUSing just halts his momentum completely. I think this is probably due to the fact that his dash attack slows him down tremendously when he uses it, and I believe DACUS distance is dependent on dash attack speed/distance.

Boiko

Yeah, I've pretty much changed my stance on the whole 'nerf' debate. In all honesty, my opinion on the situation was mostly due to my poor knowledge of Ness's meta as it stands right now. The changes have gotten me to bunker down and hone my Ness game to a point where I'm happy with it. I'm trying to rely more on punish grab or DJC Aerials to begin combos rather than PKF -> grab, and I'm being smarter with my PKT2.

BTW, has anyone experimented with Ness's newfound ability to DACUS with the rest of 'em? I had hoped it would lead to at least some interesting yoyo shenanigans, but it seems that DACUSing just halts his momentum completely. I think this is probably due to the fact that his dash attack slows him down tremendously when he uses it, and I believe DACUS distance is dependent on dash attack speed/distance.
I wasn't sure if I was DACUSing or not because I just wasn't moving. But yeah, seems to be the case. He wouldn't benefit from it too much TBH. It would just be silly looking with him sliding across the floor and the yo-yo dragging behind.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I wasn't sure if I was DACUSing or not because I just wasn't moving. But yeah, seems to be the case. He wouldn't benefit from it too much TBH. It would just be silly looking with him sliding across the floor and the yo-yo dragging behind.
If only dash attack cancelled down smash was a thing. :/

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
After reading quite a bit of negative feedback, threads like these are a breath of fresh air for the PMDT. Thank you for your thoughts and words, Zeej. Hope you guys enjoy 3.5!

EDIT: Ness has not gained a DACUS; his jumpsquat was not low enough such that he couldn't, so his ability to DACUS was based on his dash attack's momentum on startup. He didn't have enough, so he didn't & doesn't have a relevant one.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
After reading quite a bit of negative feedback, threads like these are a breath of fresh air for the PMDT. Thank you for your thoughts and words, Zeej. Hope you guys enjoy 3.5!

EDIT: Ness has not gained a DACUS; his jumpsquat was not low enough such that he couldn't, so his ability to DACUS was based on his dash attack's momentum on startup. He didn't have enough, so he didn't & doesn't have a relevant one.
Don't let pre-meta developing impressions get the PMBR down. I for one like the changes made to every single character, and the work done on stages like dreamland. You all make good decisions and it's disheartening to see people not trust them at first, but i'm sure they'll come around once xanadu starts showing what this engine can do.

Last edited:
The negative feedback will pass as soon as people realize that the game is overall better as a result of the changes. I had feared in the past that the PMDT might be a afraid to do such a drastic (but necessary) overhaul this late in the game, and I can't tell you how glad I am that this wasn't the case.

The team put in a lot of work, and it paid off huge, in my opinion. Several of our local Melee purists were even impressed, and have picked up the game seriously as a result.

Boiko

Is Ness not supposed to have a good neutral game? They kinda took away what little neutral he had...
Ness' neutral is based on applying safe pressure with spaced aerials and projectiles and baiting your opponent to do something punishable. Then taking that punish as far as possible without over committing. He is not meant to approach and apply heavy shield pressure. He forces the opponent to pick and choose their options.

For example, I played against my friend, a Sheik player. I threw out an aerial PKF, he tried to punish with a rising nair but was too late and didn't have much follow up so I used this opportunity to punish and looked super fly doing it: http://gfycat.com/MilkySecretGecko

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Nice clip you got there. Kinda weird that your Magnet sent that Sheik upward at the end though... I thought it sent people more away from him? o_O

Boiko

Nice clip you got there. Kinda weird that your Magnet sent that Sheik upward at the end though... I thought it sent people more away from him? o_O
Yeah, it's hard to see but it hits Sheik back toward the stage and she bounces off the stage.

nessmaster1

Smash Cadet
I'm sure everyone here has heard, read, or even said this after looking at Ness' change log in 3.5. Between the various changes to a few of his staple moves, it seems many are struggling to adapt in the early game. This isn't exactly unexpected, but there are a shocking number of people looking at this issue through a very narrow scope. So let's take a step back from our big, red panic buttons and look at the big picture.

Ness received several changes that removed a number of options that he relied on in the previous patch. I assume you're all familiar with the change log, but if you've had your head under a rock for whatever reason, you can find the change log [here].

Open a new tab, and go to the character discussion. Do it. Seriously, I'll wait.
After that, pick a character, and just scan their board. I'd wager with about 80% certainty that you will see a similar scenario in the particular character board you just visited.
"Character X lost Option A, and now won't stand a chance!"
"Option B was not broken in 3.02, so why is it gone now?"
"Option C was our only answer to Character Z, that match up is impossible now!"
Bonus points for the exercise if you happened to visit the Squirtle or Sonic boards.
(<3 u squirtman and sanic gaiz)
Now, the purpose of that exercise that you probably didn't do anyway (even though I waited for you ;~; ), is to show that even though some of his options were somewhat nerfed, we need to realize that the entire game changed around him as well. Compared to a 3.0 character, Ness would indeed struggle with a significant chunk of the cast. Remember however that there obviously aren't any 3.0 characters left in this game.

Again referring back to the change log, the negatives certainly stand out. PK Fire, PK Thunder1&2, and Down Throw all received nerfs of varying severity. It looks grim at first, but take a look back when the sting has worn off (and after you've played more than a couple of games with the new Ness).

Although PK Fire doesn't lock shields and force a buffered roll anymore, it also can't be power-shielded after it detonates. The pillar also falls faster, so instances of hitting a character's forehead only for it to hover above them harmlessly will be much rarer. The damage and duration nerf seems significant at first, until you realize how rarely someone actually gets hit by the full pillar. Shield activation is the only objective nerf here, and it's compensated by the extra shield-stun given to the first hit. The move is barely worse at all, and significantly more well designed.

PK Thunder lost some shenanigans, but given the nerfs to recoveries across the board? We got off extremely easy. As an added bonus, we can counterpick to Smashville and Yoshi's Island without fearing for our lives. The Red Balloon/Fly Guy Alliance rules the sky no longer!

Down Throw is a straight nerf, and there really isn't an upside to it. Which is okay, as dthrow was extremely toxic in the first place. It still combos, but we'll have to be a little more clever about our follow ups at mid-high percents.

So, PMDT took some of our toys away. It's human nature for a recent negative to stand out more than a past positive, so a lot of us are pretty bummed. However, consider that the most significant nerfs to most characters was recovery, and that Ness' UpB distance remains unchanged (from the furthest in the game by a lot). Now, this helps Ness in two ways. Firstly, it means a significant number of characters who could go extremely deep offstage to intercept him no longer can. Secondly, it means that our opponents generally have far fewer ways back to the stage. Thirdly, we can chase opponents exactly as far as we could in 3.0, whereas they can bounce back from a lot less.
This is just an example, of course. Many of Ness' tools have found new applications and tricks in a similar manner, and (in my early opinion, at least) we could not ask for a better platform for his strengths to shine through than 3.5.

In conclusion, 3.5 brings us a new Ness, but certainly not an inferior one. Though he has lost some tricks, due to the many, many changes present not only in the rest of the cast, but the physics of the game itself, he still finds himself very well off in the early metagame. I urge everyone move forward, adapt to the change, and above all else: play. No Johns, guys.

Also seriously, we can use pajamas in doubles now. That's pretty sick, right?

Was Ness such a top tier balls to the wall, meta, unfair, unbeatable, god, that he needed these nerfs?
Did Ness really need a nerf at all?

Why did Ness even NEED these nerfs?? He wasn't played in top tier/unfair/OP matches. Ness almost barely had a chance in most match-ups. Even if Ness wasn't the only one without nerfs why were they implemented? I never would have thought, Ness as a character, that would need nerfs in any version of the game. He was fairly balanced compared to most.

If anything they are way worse in game play.. Just play and you will know.

There have been a lot of complaints about Ness's PK fire. Even if somebody rarely gets hit by the full pillar of the move, the 100frames vs the 45frames was nice to have. Was changeing the length of the actual nove necessary? With the new PK fire you rarely have a chance to follow up with it at full distance. There isn't much of a use for it other than some random % when you need a change up. Also the damage buff? Is it even noticeable? I haven't noticed it (at least for compensation purposes with the nerf). I do agree with the shield activation nerd, this didn't need to be changed but I can't really complain.

Pretty much what I said in point 1...

What MORE could they have changed? They took away Some awesome "toys" with the 3.5 update. In conclusion, too much was taken away from a character that had so little. We will have to move forward of course. That is inevitable. Adapting to these changes will not be easy. In my opinion, overall these were bad changes. I don't think they were necessary.

/rant

Boiko

Was Ness such a top tier balls to the wall, meta, unfair, unbeatable, god, that he needed these nerfs?

Why did Ness even NEED these nerfs?? He wasn't played in top tier/unfair/OP matches. Ness almost barely had a chance in most match-ups. Even if Ness wasn't the only one without nerfs why were they implemented? I never would have thought, Ness as a character, that would need nerfs in any version of the game. He was fairly balanced compared to most.
Think about how 3.02 Ness would fare in a 3.5 environment. He would be top tier easy. Consider the overall nerfs to recoveries, coupled with the fact that in 3.02, a single PK Fire meant upwards of 100 damage on your opponent, who you could then knock off stage and edge guard. Furthermore, in 3.02, PKF was simply overpowered. Sure, you may think it's not too strong, but relative to the rest of Ness' build, it was his strongest option, and it almost never made sense to use anything else over it. The charcter was a flow chart. Pk Fire > grab > down throw > fair > regrab > so on. Now Ness has to mix up his options in neutral and use the rest of his kit. The move was simply too polarizing. As far as recovery nerfs go, those are across the board. 20 frames of landing lag is not bad at all, especially with the ability to edge cancel and sweet spot. His down throw was toxic. An unavoidable death off of a grab is silly.

Sure, he wasn't dominating anything in 3.02, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't be in 3.5. You can't think about the context of how well 3.02 Ness did in 3.02, but instead think about how well 3.02 Ness would have done in 3.5 If you still don't think he would have done well, I don't know what to tell you.

There have been a lot of complaints about Ness's PK fire. Even if somebody rarely gets hit by the full pillar of the move, the 100frames vs the 45frames was nice to have. Was changeing the length of the actual nove necessary? With the new PK fire you rarely have a chance to follow up with it at full distance. There isn't much of a use for it other than some random % when you need a change up. Also the damage buff? Is it even noticeable? I haven't noticed it (at least for compensation purposes with the nerf). I do agree with the shield activation nerd, this didn't need to be changed but I can't really complain.
The damage buff is on the bolt, not the pillar. PKF used to hit 9 times at 3% each hit, now it hits 5 times at 1% but the bolt does 8% instead of 0%. The overall damage has been reduced from 27% to 13%. A projectile that activates on shield, traps your opponent, AND does 27% + whatever damage you do by DJC dairing/bairing into it is absurd. That's not to say that new PKF isn't good though. How many times have you hit an opponent and they just walked away, taking zero damage? How many times have they power shielded in the middle of the pillar? What about when they simply SDI out and take 3%? New PKF commands respect from your opponent as they can't just blindly rush in, because if they get hit, it's much harder to get out of due to the faster hits and the increased gravity. The timing for follow ups is tighter, sure, but now you need to assess the optimal follow up instead of having almost 2 full seconds to consider it.

What MORE could they have changed? They took away Some awesome "toys" with the 3.5 update. In conclusion, too much was taken away from a character that had so little. We will have to move forward of course. That is inevitable. Adapting to these changes will not be easy. In my opinion, overall these were bad changes. I don't think they were necessary.

/rant
Overall, Ness did not receive heavy nerfs, and he is probably more viable now than ever before. They increased the speed of his f-tilt and the range on his dash attack, he still has his insane punish game, and now his edge guarding is even more potent due to recovery nerfs across the board. The more you play/see him in large tournaments, the more you'll understand how viable he is.

/rant
1. Yes, Ness needed several nerfs to eliminate the toxicity inherent in his 3.0 play style. Ness was not changed because he was overpowered, he was changed because he was a silly design with several overwhelming crutches.
As a side note, if everyone falls, he who falls the least has gained. This fits Ness well.

2. I disagree. Most people I played were out of the old PK Fire after a couple of hits anyway. The duration nerf is hardly noticeable, and the damage on the first hit gives it some actual shield stun. Old PK Fire would have been useless with shield SDI anyway. With mechanics changes taken into account, I consider PK Fire buffed for this reason.

3. They nerfed PK Fire, dthrow, and PK Thunder. 3 moves. If you feel that was all he had, you're playing this game way too much like 3.0.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
He doesn't need to be in top tier/unfair/OP matches to be considered for review. Every single character in the game was put on the review board if you didn't notice. He might not have been "top tier", but he was complained about A LOT at top level, and those complaints were justified. 3.02 ness was the strongest incarnation of himself ever, and 3.5 really really isn't that far off yet he's still more viable than ever.

PK fire can change a situation that isn't necessarily in your favor into one that's very heavily in your favor. With 100 frames at low-mid levels, it literally spells death. 45 frames makes more sense, isn't abuseable at all, and still allows you options without having your ENTIRE TOOLKIT to be an option. You know what you could do with 100 frame PK fire? PK fire -> PKT2. A move that can't be shielded into an attack that kills extremely early and auto cancels when aimed into the ground. You could also do like 3 djc aerials, or a FEW fsmashes. The best you can really do out of 45 frame pk fire is dash attack/grab/ONE aerial/ONE smash. Most of those options are followupable. It's the same as before, just not abuseable as ****.

Really though, how can you agree with shield activation nerf and then in the same sentence say "this didn't need to be changed"?

This paragraph just makes me question your forum handle. If you think ness "had so little" despite having floating/djc aerials, a great shine, and vastly improved normals, but he needed not one but TWO guaranteed kill throws, one of the strongest projectiles in the entire series, and an autocancelable recovery with the longest distance coverage and strongest hitboxes in the game to be "decent" you're out of your mind. All of the things that got nerfed are more than useable, and his new ftilt is fantastic.

Last edited:

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
IMO I say PK Fire duration nerf from 100 frames to 45 frames is a buff. If you honestly need another 55 frames to hit confirm, then you're doing something weird.

45 frames is enough to hitconfirm into anything, while at the same time being short enough to be able to confirm into a kill move that won't get knockback canceled by the pillar. Makes the awkward interaction with DThrow pretty much impossible which is amazing.

Hell, I think PK Fire on an offstage opponent will net you a kill 90ish percent of the time.

Eltrion

Smash Cadet
Okay. Played Ness in tourney and can confirm that I am placing as I should, with the expected advantage over my opponent based on what was observed in 3.02. Ness has not significantly moved in terms of viability.

All in all, I had no issues, just a few adjustments had to be made to my playstyle.

Very happy with 3.5 now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom