• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needle Reset?

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
I just picked up Sheik like legit an hour ago, and I was fighting a level 9 Ganondorf (my practice dummy, other than Bowser lmfao) and I combo-ed it a bit, then I think finished with a Fair, jumped up, and threw a diagonal needle, which I think reset Ganon. I'm almost 99% sure this works due to needles not having knockback, so it resets your opponent like a jab reset. Can anyone clarify this? If so, I'll start playing Sheik a bit like I do Falco and always shoot a needle after a knockdown for a needle reset (laser reset compared to Falco).

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
I just picked up Sheik like legit an hour ago, and I was fighting a level 9 Ganondorf (my practice dummy, other than Bowser lmfao) and I combo-ed it a bit, then I think finished with a Fair, jumped up, and threw a diagonal needle, which I think reset Ganon. I'm almost 99% sure this works due to needles not having knockback, so it resets your opponent like a jab reset. Can anyone clarify this? If so, I'll start playing Sheik a bit like I do Falco and always shoot a needle after a knockdown for a needle reset (laser reset compared to Falco).
It has knockback, but it's very small knockback. Needles have small enough knockback that they can "jab reset" but they're much much slower than a Falco laser (more startup and more endlag), so it's not a very good tactic. I would recommend jab resetting with Sheik's jab

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
It has knockback, but it's very small knockback. Needles have small enough knockback that they can "jab reset" but they're much much slower than a Falco laser (more startup and more endlag), so it's not a very good tactic. I would recommend jab resetting with Sheik's jab
Yeah, I knew they have knockback, it's just virtually none, unless in the hella high percents lol. And yeah, you're right about it being slower than a Falco laser. I'll probably just use it as a mixup tactic if I'm above them diagonally when they get knocked down. Also, another question, should I be tossing a single needle every now and then to mixup/mind-game my opponent with edgeguards? Or just stick to basic Fair/Nair/Ledgegrab edgeguards?

Edit- Not should I be, but is it a good viable option or is it just useless as an edgeguard factor.

Last edited:

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
Needles can snipe jumps and interrupt recoveries, so they have some usefulness as edgeguarding tools yes.
I figured they would be pretty useful for edgeguarding, just thought I'd ask since I'm fairly new to Sheik.

Top Bottom