• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needle problems, please help!

3chairz

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I know how to needle (duh) and reverse needle, but I've been meeting a lot of random screw-ups, and I was wondering if you guys had similar problems, and how y'all solved it.

When I reverse needle, i jump, snap the control stick the other direction, and then press b. While that is simple enough, I'm not sure exactly when I should press b. Should I press it as the control stick is returning to neutral position, just when it returns to neutral position, or just after it returns to neutral position? Lots of times i'd just end up forward needling.

The next type of the same problem is a little more frustrating, namely it is jumping forward and needling forward, but end up reverse needling some how. In the first situation, I could just be pressing b at the wrong time or something like that. But this situation, I really dont understand.

So i hold forward on the control stick to dash forward, i press y to jump, and then let go of my control stick and press b. How did I somehow end up reverse needling?! Personally, my best guess is that the elastic force returning the control stick to neutral is too strong, and overshot a little bit just as I was pressing b. But that again comes back to the question of "when should I press b?".

These screw-ups are really messing up my game, resulting in an average of 1.2 deaths every match just cuz I get punished for it (or missed needling the opponent hanging on the ledge as I was recovering).

If you know how to solve this problem, please help me!!

Ministry

Smash Ace
I press b after i let go of the control stick personally. i have a newer controller so my analog stick is stiff and snaps back in to place quick.

my guess is your analog stick is very sensitive.

Pita

Smash Apprentice
I've never had any of these problems, so I'm guessing it might just be the controller. Try it on a different controller and see if it works better, and if it does, consider switching.

Konata Star

Smash Rookie
I press b the moment I release the control stick and it works for me. Maybe there is a problem with your controller?

DualCats

Smash Ace
iirc, you will do a forward B if your control stick isn't approximately centered. Generally, this means it's perfectly safe to press b as soon as you've let go of the stick but if you've got a sticky analogue stick, that could be problematic. From what it sounds like, I think your controller is just pretty messy.

Top Bottom