• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needing some advice on dealing with an aggressive Bowser jr. in 4G

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
I've faced a few good Bowser Jr.s in 4G before. The first time I just chalked it up to the player being better than me, but after a second, and last night a third occurance of one of these players I realized that I'm just approaching the match-up completely wrong. As listed below I tend to use Samus, Link Ness, Sheik and Rosalina (the last of which I have not used in this MU.)

One of the biggest hurtles I faced was his stupid bomb. That thing gives more stage control than I've ever seen in the game. If he pops it out and times the side-b right, there's no grabbing the bomb and of course if I try to jump over him he can just aerial me at his content. So is my best choice here just to put myself in an awkward ledge position? I really don't know what to do.

Another really annoying move was the up b. If you happen to get hit by the initial explosion at a higher percent, it seems that he's almost guaranteed the hammer hit. It's been since yesterday since I played the match so I can't remember much else I was having trouble with, but I was playing for ~2 hours and didn't drop a single game until I came up against this fella.

Anyways, not ******** about the character at all, he seems rather balanced except for the fact that FD caters to him so heavily, just asking for some friendly advice!

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
These are the kind of things I feel you yourself can figure out with some thought. Record your difficult matchups and go over them with a warm cup of coffee. Look at them and figure out what you did wrong. You'll improve leaps and bounds.

Last edited:

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
If you're aggressively in-his-face, he will have a hard time finding the time to wind-up any of his laggy moves.
Bowser Jr. has much worse air game than Ness.
Even at range, his specials are outclassed by Ness.
If you see him charge his cannon from across the Omega stage, start charging your bat. The cannon charges just as long as a smash attack.
This means you can release when ready, and will always be able to reflect the cannonball successfully. He will not want to chance that move anymore.
The mechakoopa can be reflected as well, or caught with air dodges and dash attacks, even with aerials.
His side special ignites PK Fire, trapping him.
His up B only catches you if you're standing below him when he starts it. If you're attacking him, you're probably going to be above him. Fair outranges the hammer.

Bowser Jr. without his clown car is probably one of the best times to PKT juggle. Without the armor it gives him, he takes much more damage from PKT and will be unable to do anything besides air dodge, letting you ensnare him with the tail and bop him with the head.

Last edited:

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
The problem with dash-attacking his koopaling is that generally he times his side be and smashes into me as I grab it, leading into an aerial and then by the time that's over my koopaling explodes in my hand, so that's kind of out of the question. I'll keep in mind the PKT trick though, wasn't really playing Ness as much as Sheik and Samus against my last opponent.

Top Bottom