• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need to Kill Some Snakes!

Goodies

Smash Apprentice
I actually main MK and have tons of problems with the MK vs Snake matchup because of his projectiles, low percent KO's and him just being Snake. I've learned a lot of DDD, but I'm still not certain about how to deal with Snake. Here are the things I'm looking for in this matchup:

- Edgeguarding Strats

- CG Strats and Setups

- Damage Racking on Aerials

- Good KO Setups

- Dealing with Projectiles and Other Snake Techniques (e.g, Mortar Sliding, Grenade)

- General Approach

I later post up vids of my playing against Kirk, a very good Snake, and I would appreciate any good feedback on them.

DarkRenji

Smash Journeyman
Well like you said, grab him when you can and chaingrab.
Hit him while he's recovering with his up-b!
Up-tilt can be good for killing.

I think Dedede > Snake in the air...

But I would like to see what other people think since I'm not good vs Snake too >_>

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
Just keep him in ftilt range and poke away. If he goes into the air, chase him because you win there.

He'll probably try to camp you out so just watch carefully. If he uses Nikita, use the opportunity to close the distance and then powershield the missile. If he pulls a grenade, approach and see how he throws it. Depending on that, just shield, watch the grenade, and continue the poke.

If he gets aggressive, rack up damage with chaingrabs, of course.

I usually kill with bairs. Grab him out of his upB and then don't throw him, and that will usually result in death when he pops out of your grab. If he upBs correctly (ie, high in the air) he's going to be vulnerable to take advantage of that.

So, yeah. Basically, it's a rough matchup.

Goodies

Smash Apprentice
Just keep him in ftilt range and poke away. If he goes into the air, chase him because you win there.

He'll probably try to camp you out so just watch carefully. If he uses Nikita, use the opportunity to close the distance and then powershield the missile. If he pulls a grenade, approach and see how he throws it. Depending on that, just shield, watch the grenade, and continue the poke.

If he gets aggressive, rack up damage with chaingrabs, of course.

I usually kill with bairs. Grab him out of his upB and then don't throw him, and that will usually result in death when he pops out of your grab. If he upBs correctly (ie, high in the air) he's going to be vulnerable to take advantage of that.
I like this advice and it's generally how I play vs Snake. Edgeguarding is probably what I need the most work with though. Smart Snakes usually just DI back and quickly double jump back and Up B. I don't think DDD's Bair knock him out of his Cypher when he does this. I've tried this quite a few times and it seems as though he continues to recover. Am I hitting Snake too early during his Cypher. Should I use another aerial like his fair. I love the grab to release near the edge. It's something I should do more against Snake.

Generally the Snake I play against is always positioning his shield in front of me and he uses grenades and offshoots a few ftilts. It's really hard playing defensively against Snake and I'm finding myself just camping out grabs and using random autocancel into grabs.

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
If he recovers high and out of your grab range near the edge, then try to punish when he lands. Just stay on the ground, and if he tries to aerial you on the way down, shield and punish the huge lag on all of his aerials. If he airdodges and tries to land, wait for him to land and then watch what he does. You should be able to punish shields or rolls pretty easily with your huge range. Same with tilts.

Edgeguarding Snake isn't easy, but there's not completely protected way for Snake to come back to the stage, and you can exploit that.

Waddle

Smash Ace
Ewwww Snake gives me problems a ton. Even a not very good Snake might poop on me just because he's Snake. His Ftilt and Jabs are devastating as hell and it pisses me off.

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
I actually main MK and have tons of problems with the MK vs Snake matchup because of his projectiles, low percent KO's and him just being Snake. I've learned a lot of DDD, but I'm still not certain about how to deal with Snake. Here are the things I'm looking for in this matchup:

- Edgeguarding Strats - try to grab him out of his up b then let him struggle out of your jab and fall to his death...back air or forward air...also you can deal heavy damage charging a smash while he is rising...he wont take any knock back but he will take damage...

- CG Strats and Setups - depending on the stage i try to play as aggressive as possible against snake players...snake is a better camper then ddd...making it hard to grab him...i try to dash at him...shield cancel and wait to see what he does...hard to CG a good snake player because of their play style

- Damage Racking on Aerials - this aspect should remain unchanged...i found that attacking snake from the 45 degree angle works best for me...use nair to keep him above you and off the ground if you are trying to combo him in the air

- Good KO Setups - dash attack up tilt down smash all good ideas

- Dealing with Projectiles and Other Snake Techniques (e.g, Mortar Sliding, Grenade) - i regularly play against one of the most technical snake players ive ever seen and i have never had a problem with them EXCEPT the down throw into the upsmash...I HATE THAT!!!

- General Approach - difficult for alot of ddd's because they are use to being hte camper and playing a more defencive game...good snake players force you to think outside your normal playing style...mix it up...play an offensive aerial game

I later post up vids of my playing against Kirk, a very good Snake, and I would appreciate any good feedback on them.

hope i helped you out some...i play snake alot and offense is generally how i win

napZzz

Smash Hero
Well like you said, grab him when you can and chaingrab.
Hit him while he's recovering with his up-b!
Up-tilt can be good for killing.

I think Dedede > Snake in the air...

But I would like to see what other people think since I'm not good vs Snake too >_>
I main snake, and this is pretty much what you need to do. Also once you have snake off the edge, try to keep him from getting back on. DDD is very capable of this, and its a pain in the *** to have to face a good DDD as snake...

Goodies

Smash Apprentice
Make sure you chaingrab with buffered dash grabs for maximum efficiency, too.

Yeah my CG on Snake is close to 100% now. I was good at buffering attacks and grabs in Melee, so DDD's CG was quite easy for me to put up. Thanks for suggesting this though. Most people do miss the CG because they do not buffer the dash grabs and Snake is able to jab or mash B to get out of it.

I tested out DDD's Fair against his Cypher and that still to knock him out of it. I usually do it when I expect him to DI back and then double jump into an Up B. I usually just full hop and then quickly FF and Fair so that the Fair hits around his middle body or feet.

Have any one figured out any good utilizes of DDD's Down B and Neutral B against Snake? The only use I found for his Neutral B is to use it after Snake's invincibility frames on the ledge. For instance, I would reverse Neutral B off the edge, drop down a little bit and spit him out against the wall. I was able to sneak in few Fairs occassionally.

For his Down B, I just use it punish predictable spot dodges or air dodges. I'm sure there are some edgeguard uses, but I'm too much of a meow meow to go out there and hit him with it. I think this might hit him out of his Cypher as well. I need to test this as well.

Thanks for all of these suggestions guys. I'm narrowing the gap in the DDD vs Snake matchup a lot more thanks to your advice. Keep it coming!

Top Bottom