• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need to improve my Ike

IF4MF

Smash Rookie
The 2nd day this game came out for the US, I picked it up. My obvious choice for a main since it was shown was Ike, because I like Fire Emblem. I've read the guides, and watched Kirk's YouTube guide for Ike. Now, I noticed change in my playing. There's some things I think I should be changing, and I need some feedback on my changes/what I want to change.
1. Before, I would implement moves like Bairs, and Fairs off the stage. Now I hardly do that at all. I think that's a big problem. Should I put these things back??
2. Before, my main approach would be aerials. Now I approach with Nairs, Fairs, and the AAA combo. Is there anything else to approach with other than short QD and what I listed, and are these good so far?
3. Now I just do the AAA combo. I know I should chain this combo into throws, but the question is: How do I do the Jab cancel correctly to throw? Right now, when I try it, it starts another jab.
4. Now I just shield all attacks. Is rolling better, and if it is, which way (away or towards)? Also, is Spot Dodging a good option?
5. Now I train on level 9s still. Is WiFi a better choice?
I just need some feedback and tips on how make my Ike better. My main thing is to get these 5 points answered. Also, any extra tips would help me a lot. I've watched some combo videos, (Order of favorite was: Silven, Rykoshet and Ren is tied, then Rok). In the Ike rating thing, I gave myself a 4 I think? because I definitely have room to improve. So, yeah...any tips?

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
1. The question is "Do you have enough time and momentum to do it???"...
2. Not really, but you can bait your opponent with a double jump Fair... Just do any awkward movements in your jumps and Fair them hard by slamming your C-Stick (if you still have C-Stick to smash)...
3. People do jab cancel by holding down the A button and letting go at certain points... I on the other hand tap down then do whatever I want to do after that... So try tapping down (Motion of Press A, Press A, Tap Down, Whatever Afterwards) to cancel your jabs and do the run grab and see how that works...
4. Shielding and Shield Grabbing is always necessary... As for dodge rolling left or right and spot dodging, its all in the feel... Spot dodges are pretty good to get any free grabs after dodge animation...
5. In my opinion, I rather play the lvl 9 rather than WiFi... The control lags and generic game lags puts you in an off position in any live matches... Only thing that's good about WiFi is that you learn something new, but that's what this board is mainly for...

IF4MF

Smash Rookie
I can do it, because if I can do it before, I can do it now I guess (The Bairs and Fairs off stage). Also, C-Stick is always on Smash, because what else would I use it for? I'll try to go with some random jumps to catch them off guard. Also, when I click down, I try to grab with Z (is that wrong), and then it punches them again starting the combo. I'll try to implement rolling and spot dodges more (I used to roll too much, so I tried to stop it). I'll stick with lvl 9s then, because the lag on WiFi didn't seem worth it, and I just needed some extra opinion.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
1. yes put them back just be careful that you can still make it back. It may be best to stay away from a few characters until you get used to what they do like metaknight and R.O.B.

2.RARs is the only other thing that comes to mind.

3. press the shield and then just hit A again as if you where continuing the jab combo you'll do a grab instead.

4. I feel like slaping you ofcourse spot dodging is good lol.

5. I would imagine that wifi is better than level 9s as The AI doesn't use characters correctly like snake for one. also I hear people say that praticing on level 1s is better than on levels 9s lol don't know if they where serious or not.

Top Bottom