• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need tips for multimagneting with lucas

AntSSB

Smash Cadet
I have been trying to multimagnet with lucas for quite some time now and I still can't get it down. Does anybody have any tips?

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Go into training mode and use starmen on your opponent to make them invincible, practice the timing of doing DownB, releasing, jumping, and then immediately doing DownB again. Learn to see when you leave the ground and either: Float back down until you land so you can do a grounded jump again, do another Magnet, which you will fall to the ground with, wavedash towards them or away from them, or try a DJC aerial (Retreating fair is a good one)

You can also use the walls of Shadow Moses but I greatly prefer starmen

I do the combination as: Down B > Release > Y Jump > DownB

Last edited:

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
You probably want to slide your thumb from Y to B so that you press b with the side of your knuckle. That's what I do, at least. I would also advise practicing on the walls of Shadow Moses Island. It's much less annoying than having to spawn stars that don't last very long. You can practice other tech skill while the walls are regenerating.

MuonManLaserJab

Smash Rookie
Why do you guys bother with starmen or Shadow Moses walls? That's usually what people do when there's a significant amount of shield-stun, and they're worried about inputting something too fast after the attack.

With multi-magnets, I never have a problem with inputting jump too fast after hitting B. I always just practicing multi-magnets against thin air, and, so long as my feet don't leave the ground during practice, the timing seems to carry over perfectly to work on hit or on shield.

My answer to the OP: switch jump to Z, and then just practice the cadence: ZB, ZB, ZB, etc. Practice against anything, even thin air.

Last edited:

AntSSB

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all the responses, I actually started getting it down using the shadow Moses walls so thanks yars and neon for the suggestion

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Why do you guys bother with starmen or Shadow Moses walls? That's usually what people do when there's a significant amount of shield-stun, and they're worried about inputting something too fast after the attack.

With multi-magnets, I never have a problem with inputting jump too fast after hitting B. I always just practicing multi-magnets against thin air, and, so long as my feet don't leave the ground during practice, the timing seems to carry over perfectly to work on hit or on shield.
Three remarks:
  1. Terminology nitpick: Shield-stun doesn't affect your timing at all - it's the time the opponent whose shield you're hitting can't act after hitlag. Hitlag (the freeze that occurs after a hit) is what changes timings.
  2. Due to hitlag the jump-cancel window starts one frame later when performing a magnet on a shield/opponent/wall than against thin air. That may sound inconsequential, but if you practice to jump as soon as possible out of magnet (as you should) against thin air (as you shouldn't) for too long, you'll hit that one frame more often than not, which becomes really frustrating. If you don't jump fast enough, you'll notice no difference of course.
  3. Performing an air->ground transition during the startup of magnet increases this startup by 4 frames. As a consequence delaying your magnet by 1 frame after a jump actually makes it connect 3 frames sooner.
    Performing your second magnet one frame late has additional perks due to being able to DJ out of it instead of jumping. E.g. DJ->waveland is faster than wavedashing out of a grounded magnet and multi-magnets alternating between jumps and DJs are faster and have better advantage on shield than the jump-only variation. Even if you want to do a normal jump it's just one frame later than out of the one frame sooner magnet (you do sacrifice advantage after the magnet, though, unless you hold b for as long as possible, which is really hard to do).
    Bottom line: Doing you're magnet on the second airborn frame as opposed to the first one is better (albeit harder).

Top Bottom