• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some iput for tourny I'm hosting (+60 plus, prizes)

Phyc0lops

Smash Rookie
Ok, my college (ECPI in Virgina Beach, VA) is hosting a SSBB tourney on campus and I'm the one coming up with the rules/organization/etc., and I would like some input. So far we have the following setup.

MATCH UP
• Free for all for the elimination
• Double elimination ( 2 out of 3 to proceed)
• Second elimination is 1 vs 1
• Three stock (timed?) matches

ITEMS
• Only smash ball in elimination
• NO other items
• No smash ball in second elimination

These are rules that are pretty much set (voted on by the club I'm in). We have the Wii's for the tourney and its gonna be BYOC. There will be stations setup in different rooms and a few practice rooms will also be available. We have pretty much all day to do this thing so time isn't as big as an issue, and neither is space.

Anyone got any comments or suggestions?

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
if time isn't an issue why bother with 3 player FFA's in the first round?
attendee's would likely prefer to be tested on their skill, and not how well they can be smashed into someone else's smash to their death...
other than that, it seems like a pretty solid plan, not the way I'd run the tourney, but i understand you have restrictions caused by the nature of the organization hosting the tourney.

oh, and you may want a time limit, if times really not an issue, and your doing 3 stock i would suggest 6 minutes, since 2 minutes a stock is plenty... more than enough even, but i suppose if your really generous and you don't mind campers you could do 8 minute limits.

Phyc0lops

Smash Rookie
Its actually 4 player ffa for the first rounds... I really wanted to do 1vs1 the whole way but we just don't have that much equipment and that would leave people waiting forever for their turn to come. Besides, the tribe has spoken and that's what they want.

Also can someone explain what counter-picks are?

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
if you searched it you could probably find a thread about it, i'm going on the assumption you mean counter-pick stages

Counter pick stages are levels that have some (see. minor) interference in game play, and can be advantageous to one player, but aren't considered neutral, an example is Poke floats from melee, if your familiar with it, and as u can see its not very neutral. essentially the first stage in a set is random (from a predetermined list of Neutral stages), then the loser is allowed to pick the next stage, where they will likely pick a counter pick in the hopes of beating their opponent, the loser of that set then gets to choose the next stage, though if the winner wins again, then the set is completed (assuming best of 3).

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Counter Picks....

Counter Picking = Strategically picking a stage/character that puts your foe at a disadvantage.

Examples:

Your opponent is really good with Character X. You pick a Character Y because the match up is in better favor of Y than of X.

Your opponent is really good with Character X. You pick Stage Y, because it's more difficult for Character X to perform well at stage Y.

What you're asking for is the "rule set" for counter picking. As long as I've been around, I've always seen Advanced Slob picks, with Double Blind at either characters request.

Double Blind -- Characters request a judge be told in advance of character selection, so a counter pick cannot be chosen last second. (This can only be used first round.)

Advanced Slob Picks --

First Round -- Characters selected. Random Stage

Second Round -- Loser of Round 1 picks a stage. Winner selects character. Loser selects his character.

Third Round -- Loser of Round 2 picks a stage. Winner selects character. Loser selects his character.

This is done so that the loser can counter-stage a character or set-up a stage that's good for a character he plans on picking. Then, the winner of the last match can pick a character based on the stage chosen. Finally, the loser picks his character to counter the winner's choice.

EDIT: Also, having FFAs is not good at all. Try to have that removed if at all possible.

S2

Smash Lord
Phyclops, while any good Smashers are probably going to spit on the idea of FFA 1st rounds (as they should), if you can't change it then...

turn off the smashballs.

Smashballs with certain characters are super unbalanced.

You probably should not make them timed either. If it goes to sudden death then basically your tournament will turn into a laughing stock.

If a tournament's ruleset is bad, most good players won't even bother showing up. But they will be willing to downtalk it to every Smasher they meet.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Didn't even notice the rules on items.

No items for the entire match.

For S2's post, you handle ties with whoever had the lowest % before sudden death.

Phyc0lops

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the tips guys, I think I'm just gonna stick with random stages from a list and do no counter picks just to keep things simple. I'm going to talk to the club today about knocking it down to 1vs1 the whole way... or at least get rid of the smash ball. It's gonna have to be played on 10 wii's regardless of the match ups so I'll have to figure it out.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
Thanks for all the tips guys, I think I'm just gonna stick with random stages from a list and do no counter picks just to keep things simple. I'm going to talk to the club today about knocking it down to 1vs1 the whole way... or at least get rid of the smash ball. It's gonna have to be played on 10 wii's regardless of the match ups so I'll have to figure it out.

have a BYOW(bring your own wii) policy-- where if you bring your own set up then you get a discount on entrance fee or something

Phyc0lops

Smash Rookie
Well it officially went down the crapper... I had a meeting with the club leaders and they just rewrote all my rules. It's now gonna be a FFA all the way to the end. They pulled some rule that no tournament can be longer than 4 hours right out of the air. They were trying to enable items and the smash ball because it would "take too long". I was firmly against that and managed to get everyone to go with no items. Anyway I don't even know if I want to be part of this thing now. If I wanted to fight a game where its almost random who wins i would have played WFC.

ÒÚßÉÑ

Smash Rookie
if you do end up going FFA, then I strongly recommend taking the damage guage off. this will prevent gang ups on people with high percentages.

Top Bottom