• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some help with learning Fox

StrykerX

Smash Cadet
I've recently picked up Fox as a pocket to my Marth and I've gotten a lot of the stuff I need to know down, however I have trouble with a few things

1. Waveshining
I have trouble consistently waveshining (especially backwards), and even when I do get it it's tough for me to get follow ups from. It feels like they go too far, and I know that's the case with some characters, but I didn't think I had to walk forward against every character.

2. Shine OOS
I'm just not sure what the quickest way to perform this is

3.Follow ups from u-throw
Whenever I up throw my opponent seems to DI too far to either side (excluding some characters at some percents). Even when I read the DI it feels like they're too far to follow up.

4. Nair approaches
I'm almost ashamed at this one. My spacing has always been decent but for some reason I just can not space this correctly. I get it quite a bit of the time but I mess up more often than I should. Sometimes I'll just land in front of them without hitting them and then I'll feel like **** :/

If anyone can help with these that'd be great

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
1. Waveshining
I have trouble consistently waveshining (especially backwards), and even when I do get it it's tough for me to get follow ups from. It feels like they go too far, and I know that's the case with some characters, but I didn't think I had to walk forward against every character.
Your problem is either not wavedashing out of shine fast enough, or not doing a long enough wavedash (which will be more difficult than normal because you're moving the stick from the downwards position from the shine input. You should ask a Fox main which characters you have to walk for.

Waveshining backwards is harder because you can't move the stick behind you before the jump input since you'll turn around in shine, unless you do it very early on in the period before you're able to jump out/turn around. See http://www.ssbwiki.com/Fox_(SSBM)/Down_special

2. Shine OOS
I'm just not sure what the quickest way to perform this is
Whatever woks best for you. If you practice you will be able to reach full speed with any method, though the amount of time it will take you to reach that speed will vary between methods.

Tap jump is bad because moving the analogue stick is slow, especially when you have to reverse directions, but there's probably someone who can do it well like that. You can use up on the the C-stick and slide to the B-button in one motion. You can slide from Y to B like you're doing a short hop double laser. You can claw (with X or Y). You can use X and just move your thumb to B really fast.

I claw with X for it and it works pretty well, but makes it difficult to do things like waveshine out of shield if you use the R-trigger for that (like I do) since your hand is in a very awkward position to reach the trigger; when using the L-trigger those techniques are mostly unaffected. If I were a Fox main or good enough that I'd care if my pocket Fox could waveshine out of shield then I'd probably use the Y to B method.

3.Follow ups from u-throw
Whenever I up throw my opponent seems to DI too far to either side (excluding some characters at some percents). Even when I read the DI it feels like they're too far to follow up.
Are you dashing before you jump? Are you starting to move as soon as possible after you can act out of the throw? Are you sure the combo you're going for is true?

Use the 20XX frame counter to see how long you're leaving before you start moving. Check the combo you're going for in advance in develop mode if you're not sure that it's possible.

4. Nair approaches
I'm almost ashamed at this one. My spacing has always been decent but for some reason I just can not space this correctly. I get it quite a bit of the time but I mess up more often than I should. Sometimes I'll just land in front of them without hitting them and then I'll feel like **** :/
3 things affect how you move in the air:
• Your velocity on the ground before you jump.
• Which direction you're holding on the stick on the last frame of jumpsquat (this is analogue).
• Your aerial drift, based on the direction you're holding the stick in the air (this is analogue and can be adjusted at any time).

If you're stopping short of your opponent then you need to be moving forwards more. It could be any one of the above which is insufficient, and quite likely all 3; in practice they aren't so distinct, and you'll intuitively use them all together to control your character precisely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom