• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice for a Super Smash Bros Club at our high school!

Evanpwnz

Smash Rookie
Hello, smashboards if your're willing to indulge on my little high school drama and offer advice, I would appreciated it. This is an abridged version of what happened, TLDR is in the bottom

For the past 2 weeks I have been trying to make smash club for my high school. There was recently a smash 4 tournament that fund raised for some clubs at our school. During the tournament I had realized how big our smash scene was, considering 50+ people attended and thought it would be a great idea to make a smash club to make our smash scene bigger and better. A lot of people thought the same when I asked around, I could name 20+ people off the top of my head that said they would be a part of it. The idea for the club was 100% non profit, and we would do all the legwork by bring our own setups, and any tournament we hosted would be 100% on us. If we were to make money we would donate 100% of it to charity or fund other clubs. All we wanted to do was play smash and bring people of different backgrounds together. We had a teacher (Teacher D) in mind who would have loved to do it but was caught up coaching for a spring sport. In compensation he stated he would try and find other teachers that would advise for us, or if worst comes to worst advice for us next year when he isn't doing anything. So my natural reaction was hey, let's find another teacher and ask around for some advice.

The first teacher (teacher A) I asked was the host of the Smash 4 tournament that happened 2 weeks ago, knowing that he would be somewhat interested if he wanted to have a tournament in the first place. Instead he said the complete opposite, he argued that forming a club would detract from their future events (fundraisers for his club) and told others to not join my club in the fear of him loosing money in the long run. This is completely wrong, we are doing the exact opposite, we are trying to enlarge the audience and promote the smash scene, not take away from it. In the end, I went off asking other teachers to advise completely ignoring his whole tantrum of it harming the school/club. After a couple of days of no luck asking 15+ teachers if they would advise, word eventually got out I was trying to make a club to the other teachers. Another teacher (cohosted the smash 4 tournament) B also agreed that it would detract from their events and started to bad mouth our smash club. I went back to teacher D asking if he had any ideas. But it turns out teacher A and B emailed our only chance of an adviser to decline our offer, saying the same thing, that it harms their clubs because they want the funding for themselves. I was astonished to find that our teachers, the ones we trusted would hinder or even prevent growth of a club because they think they would loose money in the long run. They thought since they were the ones to come up with the idea of a "smash tournament" they had rights over it, but that doesn't mean anything. Like I said, I in no means want to harm anyone's club, all I wanted to do was play smash with people I never thought would have played. Now due to this incident we are left with no adviser and no help, I have considered telling the staff of this but still need some advice before doing so. Any suggestions what should I do, in the long run I don't want to make any enemies and I have teacher A as a teacher.

TLDR: Teacher abused his power to influence other teachers and students to not join our smash club for his own benefit/club.

D

Deleted member

That's pretty freaking dumb. Anyways, have you spoken to the principal about it?

Top Bottom