• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need improvement advice

Leth4lity

Smash Rookie
NNID
Znatty
So I recently got back into Smash 4 and have been trying to improve. Unfortunately none of my friends play, and I don't really know if there's much of a competitive scene where I live. Because of this I've been playing a lot of For Glory lately and I honestly don't enjoy it or think that it's really helping me improve due to issues like lag, lack of stage variety, and occasional toxicity. I've used Anther's Ladder but most of the match opportunities I see on there are people who live pretty far away and the connections aren't always good even though I use a LAN adapter. Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation that can give me advice on what to do in order to find a way to improve?

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah...we get this question all the time. For one, I'd stop going on For Glory for a while if I were you. Hit the training mode and practice any techniques you may have remembered when y'all played last. Now, I don't know which character(s) y'all main but do check the character forums and you'll find information about matchups, advanced techniques, all that good stuff. And about tournament scenes, y'all should use the tourney locator to see if one is being held near your area. Oh, and y'all can find opponents here to take on.

I personally feel rusty after I put up Smash for six months and I can relate. But to improve requires much time and patience.

Anyways, what's most important is this, and as any Smasher will attest:
  • Observe y'all's shortcomings in matches
  • Y'all never spar with CPUs
  • Enjoy yourself and have fun with it

Last edited:

Leth4lity

Smash Rookie
NNID
Znatty
Yeah...we get this question all the time. For one, I'd stop going on For Glory for a while if I were you. Hit the training mode and practice any techniques you may have remembered when y'all played last. Now, I don't know which character(s) y'all main but do check the character forums and you'll find information about matchups, advanced techniques, all that good stuff. And about tournament scenes, y'all should use the tourney locator to see if one is being held near your area. Oh, and y'all can find opponents here to take on.

I personally feel rusty after I put up Smash for six months and I can relate. But to improve requires much time and patience. Gotta adapt to different playstyles, etc. Yeah, any smasher will attest to this.
Thanks for the advice. I actually main mewtwo I just forgot to list it when I made my account. I usually try to practice in training mode every day and I watch a lot of videos of competitive matches as well but my main problem is trying to find friends to play with IRL. I guess I should start checking out tournaments close to my area and get to know some of the people that go to them.

Top Bottom