• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with the Pikachu MU

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
To my knowledge, I think this MU is pretty even for Pikachu against Marth. My question is how would I approach this match-up with caution because I am very aware that Pikachu has the potential to completely gimp Marth or put him into an edgeguard situation. I feel as though my neutral has to be on point (no pun intended). What are Marth's goals in his MU?

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
To my knowledge, I think this MU is pretty even for Pikachu against Marth. My question is how would I approach this match-up with caution because I am very aware that Pikachu has the potential to completely gimp Marth or put him into an edgeguard situation. I feel as though my neutral has to be on point (no pun intended). What are Marth's goals in his MU?
Dont suck

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Sorry for the Marth boards being ****ty, I'll ask a friend that knows this to respond here.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
FYI, if the Marth boards give sarcastic answers like that, it's generally because we don't know the answer lol. Without too many good Pikachu's out there, we don't have too much to base our answers off of. Hopefully Saiblade gets you a good answer cuz I have no experience with it.

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
FYI, if the Marth boards give sarcastic answers like that, it's generally because we don't know the answer lol. Without too many good Pikachu's out there, we don't have too much to base our answers off of. Hopefully Saiblade gets you a good answer cuz I have no experience with it.
That's the feeling I got from it lol

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
something that people do very badly is edge guard. do not just give them the ledge. they always want to grab the ledge because the landing lag is very bad if their up B ends on the ground. so if you hold the ledge or dtilt it makes their recovery worse. do not shield the the thunder bolts if you dont have to ( neutral b). fair is good because they will sometimes jump in right after and you will beat the move and still have fair out to beat the most-likely nair approach. if you get a grab around 0-10% you can f throw 2-3 times depending on DI and that could lead to tipper f smash.
pikachu is pretty easy to combo, just keep it simple. pikachu will sometimes live a long time if you dont land a strong kill move. But he can gimp you very easily. something that has saved my ass a lot is ledge techs. my friend always goes for fsmash or ftilt, if i dont sweet spot id be dead. it keeps you alive for a long time. (you dont need to learn the jump ledge tech, the simple tech is perfectly fine plus you dont have to worry about the bair to stop your momentum away from the stage)
getting back on nair is always good because you have some invincibility and pikachus range is pretty small. fair if he crouch cancels to make some space.
thats about all i got for now ill add if i think of anything else. hope this helps

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
DD grab, DD tipper dtilt, DD tipper fair. Wall her out and edgeguard intelligently (actually think about the path he is going to take and where he will end up - invincible ledgehop dair + cover landing lag is common). The neutral game just takes some time to get used to, as you have to fully respect pika's DD, nair approach, uair shenanigans, etc. As with many matchups, don't get impatient when he's near or over 100% and you haven't gotten the kill yet. There are just a lot of people that haven't encountered good pikachu players, and before they learn to fully respect pika, it feels even to them. Marth definitely wins tho. Pika is just never a pushover, can't forget it.

Top Bottom