• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with short hopping!

notkain

Smash Rookie
I can do the tech, that's no problem.

But I don't know when's a good time to SHL, or even do it properly. I can't effectively make it a part of my playstyle.

I also think I need to find a better way to do the SHL, I often find myself switching buttons on doing it.

Can anyone provide insight on how they SHL and when they use it? It would help a lot!

--Also, when getting approached by Peach what should be my next go-to move?

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Well, Fox's SHL is similar to Falco's. But SHDL, I use tap jump which helped me a lot.

Both of them are mostly used to force approaches as well as rack on damage very quickly. When you're on opposite sides of the stage, you can usually get a few lasers off before they have to approach.

Landry

Smash Ace
Start without trying for the double laser. Just short hop, wait a bit, then laser. If you do it right your laser shouldn't go over the head of short opponents but instead should be pretty close to the ground. Just gotta grind it out in practice man. No specials tricks, just practice practice practice.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
I basically never shoot lasers against fast characters unless they're really far away. These include Fox, Falco, and Falcon. For Puff, IC's, and Peach, I camp them pretty hard with lasers and platform movement. Sheik and Marth kind of fall in a gray area for me. You sort of need to camp Marth because it's very dangerous to approach him, but dash dancing camping is (in my opinion), more effective than straight laser camping. Sort of the same story for Sheik. However, I find it useful to mix in lasers just to make sure they remember they need to approach.

As for the actual tech, I use y-b for SHDL, and if I'm being pressured, I just slow down the input so that I only shoot one laser instead of two so that I can fast fall and get back on the ground.

Oasis

Smash Rookie
SHL when you have space in between your opponent so that you rack up free damage, but don't laser if it puts you in a threatened position. SHL against characters like Puff or Peach that have trouble chasing you around quickly.

Top Bottom