• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with neutral game/Help analyze matches

Nox_SSBM

Smash Rookie
Hey everybody. I've been playing melee for around 7 months now. I don't really have the chance to play other people often (once a week) and recently ive been having troubles with improving. I dont really have a grasp or really know anything about the neutral/meta. only thing i really know is use lasers. also with tech when im at home playing with cpu's or just grinding, my tech is amazing, my wavedashes, waveshines, wavelands, ect are all silky smooth and i can L cancel 99% of the time, but when i play real matches, where it all counts, i mess up most of my tech and can only succesfully pull off 50% of my tech while under pressure. if anybody could help me with the tech problems, or help me understand the neutral a bit more that would be great.

Also, i would analyze my own matches but i dont really know how to point out the things im doing wrong or what the better option would have been, other then what tech i messed up. so if you have the time, please watch a few of my matches and give me some help.

Video Links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ZBYEYcfV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NyR1sS_NJk
These videos are set as unlisted, so you will have to use the links if you want to watch again.

Thank you all so much for the help in advance.
:pikachu:

Last edited:

{Lemons}

Smash Rookie
When it comes to difference in techskill between solo training and games against players I too have experienced this and expect that most everyone has. Firstly I would tell you not to worry too much about it. This problem will fade with time as you practice and play against others more. Secondly part of the issue is that you need to be more comfortable executing while under pressure. The new 20XX version has pretty crazy ai. I would recommend fighting the Falco ai to simulate pressure.

Kimble

Smash Rookie
That lugui was reading when you went in with lasers really hard, so try to mix up your timings and learn to become more unpredictable. Furthermore, you seemed to have trouble when he was right on top of you, so try to work on nair's and shines out of shield as a defense maneuver.

Hedgehog_

Smash Cadet
You were missing basic tech skill against Luigi game 1. The first stock you weren't able to drop down through the platform correctly or input a dash. Also there was too many missed techs and Luigi was reacting to every roll that wouldn't happen if you teched correctly. Game 2 you got some early dairs but then there was no shine so you got down smashed. You tried to extend combos on Luigi for way too long. Getting a 2-3 hit combo is fine because Luigi is way too floaty and it's better to back off after that. You're lasers were a bit below average, you did some standing lasers which cost you a lot of % and some were a little too high.

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
For your lcanceling problems, set 2 or more ice climbers to a low level (doesn't matter, u aren't comboing them) and practice lcanceling all your aerials in the chaos. My guess is that u lcancel based on one timing, and that u dont react to the hitlag u go through when u hit other characters. This is also useful for practicing not getting stuck in shine.

My best advice for practicing a lot alone, is to make the most of practicing with people. Never care about winning friendlies, just make your goal to implement what u are practicing. Its also good to experiment a lot. Try to avoid lasering for a game, try doing excessive platform movement for some game etc. Just doing things to an excess can show u their stregnths and weaknesses.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
As far as having tech execution issues vs people, I definitely have that problem, too (also get to play vs people once a week if I'm lucky). What I've found, though, is that just playing against people more helps the issue a ton. When I'm at tournies playing HOURS of friendlies, I find by the end I can execute almost at the level I want sometimes. As with so much in this game, the answer is just practice practice practice

tsm2k420XX

Smash Cadet
Definitely mix nairs into your approach, but as falco, you shouldn't need to approach, because you have bair, laser, and up tilt.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
You seem to play very laterally. What I mean is that you seem to focus on yourself much more than your opponent when the split should be closer to even.

Top Bottom