• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with my start in programming!

WildC4rd

Smash Rookie
I'm interested in learning how to program, but I haven't decided if I want to start in either Java or C++. I was hoping to maybe get some recommendations on which would be better to start with, and maybe some info on the general advantages of each.

Also, I could use a good introductory text book on either language, if any of you know of any that have helped you out in the past. I'm going to be learning on my own without a class on it, so hopefully someone could point me in the direction of one that's really helpful and easy to understand.

Update-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone, for your help and input. I've decided to go with C++. Hopefully I can become proficient with it and increase my understanding of computers in the process ^^

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Actually, you might want to take a look at python. It's very easy to learn, as C++ and Java can be a bit complex. And are you on Windows, Mac, or Linux/Unix?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Java and C++ are the two most used languages, so you're on the right track by thinking primarily about those two.

If you are thinking about a career in programming, there are more Java jobs out there than any other language by far. However, it's kind of not that good of a language, and the newer stuff is much more succinct and easier to code. Java won't ALWAYS be the language with the most jobs.

Python is a breeze to code, and makes you feel smart, because it's so intuitive. I've really enjoyed learning Python for sure. I don't, however, know anything about careers using Python.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
With Python though, it's a great way to introduce the basics of programming. And once you know the basics, all you have to do is apply the basics to the other languages, learn their syntax, and that's it.

That, and python is a breeze to learn.

Here's Hello World in Pyhon:

print("Hello World!")

And here it is in C++

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout<<"Hello World!";
return 0;
}

Which seems easier?

noradseven

Smash Lord
Learn Java first once you got that down python is a breeze, and then you just gotta pick a C you want to learn first C++ is still not dead and doing quite well for some reason, C# is quite popular now and objective-C is making headway(though its kinda weird).

stick with python and java. C have some illogical(or actually not, but it seems like that to humans) and confusing syntax. java is more close to C, python quicker since it needs no compilation and is really simplified(but you should learn the standards of indenting first).

Also yo should never consider learning C before C++ since C isnt simplier its just a bit more limited.

Whatever OS you are using, switch to linux, use texteditor and terminal as programming enviroment whenever your freinds are looking at you coding, makes you look way more hardcore.(HYEZ!)

btw, when did python add paranthesises to print?

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
btw, when did python add paranthesises to print?
Well, the Python 3.x branch has print a function, and therefore needs the perenthesis. Python 2.x still does : print "Hello World!". Since I was new to Python, I chose 3.x because honestly, it's better, and because I don't wanna hold back the future. It's like HDTV. It's the early adopters that matter.

Yeah. Programming in Vim would make you look like a huge nerd.

WildC4rd

Smash Rookie
Actually, you might want to take a look at python. It's very easy to learn, as C++ and Java can be a bit complex. And are you on Windows, Mac, or Linux/Unix?
I'm using Windows.

Thanks for the recommendation on Python I'll consider that language too. The only concern I have with it is that if it's too easy to learn, would that make it too hard to carry over what I've learned with Python over to C++? Because even if I don't start with C++, I for sure want to learn it after I start.

A friend of mine told me that Java and C++ are similar to use just with different syntax, but that Java was easier to learn at first. So I was thinking of starting with Java and progressing to C++. Or maybe that's just too much of a pain learning both and I should just learn C++ first?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm a c++ guy so I'm biased. I'd say start with either C++ or Java before you trylearning python or anything else.

personally, i recommend C++ for beginners. It's not really a pain in the *** to learn how to include libraries, and it's a concept you'll need in the future anyways, so you might as well learn it from the start. From there, C++ syntax is not hard at all. It's a great start for beginners in programming.

send me a private message and I'll share a resource with you that will help.

VitaminC

Smash Rookie
A friend of mine told me that Java and C++ are similar to use just with different syntax, but that Java was easier to learn at first. So I was thinking of starting with Java and progressing to C++. Or maybe that's just too much of a pain learning both and I should just learn C++ first?
AFAIK, Java is more similar to C# than C++.

If you are thinking about a career in programming, there are more Java jobs out there than any other language by far. However, it's kind of not that good of a language, and the newer stuff is much more succinct and easier to code. Java won't ALWAYS be the language with the most jobs.
That really depends. Career-wise, gaming takes on a lot more C++ (and sometimes C) engineers than Java. Many other jobs are the exact opposite, though.

Personal preference is a major part of programming before you take it seriously. Some people find that C++ is harder than Java, some think otherwise. You should give C# some thought as well. Mainly because, like I said above, it's similar to Java, but also because you can get into XNA, which is becoming popular in the business world (Xbox 360).

Once you pick a language, just Google some ebooks.

WildC4rd

Smash Rookie
Thanks for your advice VitaminC and Dastrn. I think I'm going to start with C++. Now I just need an IDE to get started with. Any recommendations?

I was looking at Netbeans, but it was kind of confusing for me.(Most likely my ignorance that will wash away in time?) And apparently I need a compiler to start. Excuse my stupidity, but I was under the impression that an IDE was a compiler also?

Can anyone explain the process of programming, executing the program, and the materials needed? ^^;

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dev-C++ for sure is the way to go. google it. it's a free download. setup is easy. compiling is easy.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Compiler: A tool that converts you C++ code into computer executable code. You can program with just a compiler.

Integrated Development Envirement: Just a fancy Text editor designed for writing code.

the_dannobot

Smash Rookie
C# is a pretty good starting language. Its much easier than c++, you don't really have to worry about things like pointers and dynamic memory management.

Personally, I think its easier to learn a programming language is your doing something fun like writing a game, and XNA is AWESOME. To get started, you'll have to download Visual C# Express (free download) and the XNA stuff (also free for windows development). the XNA libraries take care of boring **** like math libraries and API wrappers. AND THEN, to top it off, for only $100 you can join creators club and get everything like XBox 360 on-device debugging, and even sell your game without having to worry about installers or ecommerce bs :)

cheers!

Icyo

Smash Ace
Pick whichever one you want and just learn it. There is no best to start with.

Top Bottom