• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with Marth's spike :c

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
OK, so we all know Marth has an awesome spike DAir, but for some reason, whenever I manage to do the spike and kill the opponent, Marth sorta goes into a ridiculous lag period and when I can finally move again, it's too late to recover and I fall to my death, what am I doing wrong? When I AM in the range to recover and I Up+B, for some reason he doesn't turn around like I want to do and I end up with my back to the stage.

Evil Idol

Smash Rookie
NNID
Evil_Idol
Okay, since your problem is that you're falling to your death after spiking off stage due to its ending lag, all you really have to do to fix that is spike with c-stick or hitting down-A before you reach fast fall height. If you go for spikes off stage without jumping before the spike because your opponent is too low or something, you should only go for it when they're on their last stock so you guarantee the win. Otherwise, you have to judge whether or not going after them with a spike is worth it over just grabbing edge and punishing.

In terms of your Up-B problem with your back to the stage, hold towards the stage right after you press Up-B. If that's what you're doing already, do it faster.

Kirito-

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRealKirito
3DS FC
3179-7237-9807
I jump and then dair immediately after. By the time your end lag finishes, you are about the same height as you were when you initiated the jump. This also works extremely good when you're holding the edge, and need to edge guard.

Turn around special is fairly simple to do. When you use a special (in this case up special), hold the direction you want to face immediately after. You can also just tilt your stick up and towards either side.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Unless you're comfortably above stage level, always jump before using dair.

KABO0S

Smash Cadet
Since everybody is already telling you how to Dair, I would recommend learning to sweet spot up-B since if you get the right height in PM you will grab the ledge even if it's behind you.

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
I struggle with this a bit in Brawl, getting way too trigger happy and going for the dair instead of the fair. So the best way to do it is to time it with your first jump or doublejump?
Ive been practicing the hell out of the up b too but still struggle with going under the stage rather than just missing the stage (strictly on final destination)

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Both jumps work, it depends on the setup...
The thing just is that most of your animation is spent around the highest point of the jump if you dair directly after jumping, so you don't lose any height.

If you are really good with it you can also do a fastfall dair on YS and YI if you land on the respective offstage platforms.

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I meant the best way to do is to do it on either jump haha but thats good to know
Is the dair pretty good to use even if they're on-stage?

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
to reverse the dolphin slash(up b) tilt it in the direction you want to go, you can either point it upper left or right or do some complicated stuff where you go straight up the change direction in the initial frames of the animation.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So basically, never go lower than the stage's ledge unless I can secure the kill, and try to input a diagonal when doing the Dolphin Slash? Because that complicated turn-around-at-the-beggining-frames thing seems...well, complicated. OK, I'll give it a few tries when I get to play againist humans again :v

VashEXE

Smash Rookie
Something that nobody has mentioned in this thread is that you can spike with Dair while you're just standing near the ledge if you SUFFL it. Try practicing it against something like Fox Up-B, but if you short hop and come down with Dair right as they're getting near the ledge you'll hit them with the tip and spike them through the stage.

Another trick with Dair is if you're holding the ledge you can press down or away from the ledge, jump, and then Dair to spike somebody that is coming towards the ledge from underneath or even to the side if you time/space it right. As long as you start the Dair as soon as you jump, you wont fall very low and you will be able to Up-B comfortably.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Another trick with Dair is if you're holding the ledge you can press down or away from the ledge, jump, and then Dair to spike somebody that is coming towards the ledge from underneath or even to the side if you time/space it right. As long as you start the Dair as soon as you jump, you wont fall very low and you will be able to Up-B comfortably.
You can usually drift back on stage when you do that, actually. It's really safe.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
If you're having issues not facing the stage, you should just RAR into the dair, which is preferable anyway because the dair has more range behind Marth than in front of him.

If you RAR into it, you get more range and you're already facing the stage, so that might help too.

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
Pretty sure ledgehop dair still works, while we're talking about this. The hitbox should clip through the stage for a nifty and flashy edgeguard. And it feels good. Real good.

Top Bottom