• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with Lucas tech

TheAmazingAj

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrSunshine448
3DS FC
5069-5272-5380
I am completely new not only with the community but also with Lucas. I'm still trying to find my main and I think Lucas might be the one. At a weekly I went to on Wednesday I picked Lucas in friendlies and I really liked how he felt and even managed to get a couple of stocks off. Now I have been looking everywhere for a list on his tech on here, and youtube and I cant seem to find anything. If anybody could please give me a list of things I should practice with him and I know there is a lot (I was told he has a lot of tech to practice) that would be amazing. Also I'm still working on basic tech (wavedashing and L-canceling) so I was wondering how Important those skills are to his game. Thank you to everyone who replies

-AJ

darkevilprince295

Smash Rookie
Please note I can not post links yet so they will be missing the "."s which are in front of www and behind the com so you must copy and then paste the URL into your address bar and then replace the spaces with the dots.

DJC (Double Jump Cancelling)

DJC stands for Double Jump Cancelling and is used for aerials and his side b. It makes it so his aerials and side b can be performed closer to the ground. A good video on DJC is here (www youtube com/watch?v=0Z3EJYfHTro).

Wave dash out of Down B
Also another very important tech for Lucas especially in your combo game is to wave dash out of his down b which has start up frames so don't try to wave dash out of it too quickly or it just will not work. Another thing to make sure you're doing is to take your thumb/finger off "b" before wave dashing. Seems obvious I know but a lot of people struggle with that tech and sometimes that is the reason. Wave dashing out of down b has different timings depending on if it makes contact with a character or not so a great way to practice this is to go onto shadow moses island and practicing wave dash out of down b against the walls and while you're waiting for the walls to regenerate, practice some DJC aerials or side by. When down b connects with the walls of shadow moses island it has the same if not then very similar lag as if it was a character you made contact with so this will help you with the timings.

DACUS
DACUS stands for Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash. It basically carries the momentum of a dash attack and transfers it into an up smash. A great video on DACUS is here (www youtube com/watch?v=bPGgDEgEP18).

Good luck with Lucas, he is a great character but requires a lot of training. Hope this helped!

Last edited:

K Buns

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0146-9868-4081
Okay, l-cancelling as Lucas is huge and you should practice this to perfection this as quickly as you can. Lucas' aerials are pretty laggy without cancels and a fair portion of his neutral game comes from djc fair spacing.

Lucas has a very good wavedash too making it very useful for spacing. Incorporating this into your dash dance game can be useful to bait out attacks from your opponent and getting a grab off of their mistakes.

Another thing you should learn how to do is wavedash out of down-b because this can extend your combos giving you a slew of options off of your magnet hit. If you're fast with your wavedash out of magnet, you can land a bair and set up for an edgeguard or you can choose to extend the combo with djc fairs, nairs, and uairs.

Previous people recommended learning how to DACUS. While it can be quite useful for following up good DI on down throw, I would not say it is mandatory in order to play Lucas. I hardly ever use it myself.

DJC side-b is extremely good. At high percents you can get a DACUS off of it and it's quite strong in neutral as a combo starter. This is something every Lucas player should know how to do.

That's all that comes to mind at least for now. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Jynx

Smash Cadet
Both wave-dashing and L-canceling are near critical to make use of Lucas' amazing combo-game. DJC is also a requirement as his combos are sped up even more by doing it, and it's required to be precise and accurate to land all of Lucas' proper hitboxes.

Side-B is really good, as it's good for zoning your opponent, and creating options. Also, if you managed to hit it, since it pops them off the ground a little it opens up more than if it was just on the ground.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Please note I can not post links yet so they will be missing the "."s which are in front of www and behind the com so you must copy and then paste the URL into your address bar and then replace the spaces with the dots.

DJC (Double Jump Cancelling)

DJC stands for Double Jump Cancelling and is used for aerials and his side b. It makes it so his aerials and side b can be performed closer to the ground. A good video on DJC is here (www youtube com/watch?v=0Z3EJYfHTro).

Wave dash out of Down B
Also another very important tech for Lucas especially in your combo game is to wave dash out of his down b which has start up frames so don't try to wave dash out of it too quickly or it just will not work. Another thing to make sure you're doing is to take your thumb/finger off "b" before wave dashing. Seems obvious I know but a lot of people struggle with that tech and sometimes that is the reason. Wave dashing out of down b has different timings depending on if it makes contact with a character or not so a great way to practice this is to go onto shadow moses island and practicing wave dash out of down b against the walls and while you're waiting for the walls to regenerate, practice some DJC aerials or side by. When down b connects with the walls of shadow moses island it has the same if not then very similar lag as if it was a character you made contact with so this will help you with the timings.

DACUS
DACUS stands for Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash. It basically carries the momentum of a dash attack and transfers it into an up smash. A great video on DACUS is here (www youtube com/watch?v=bPGgDEgEP18).

Good luck with Lucas, he is a great character but requires a lot of training. Hope this helped!
I couldn't have worded it better myself. :kirby:

Nayyr

Smash Rookie
Do any of you ever have trouble shffl ing nair or dair? I find a lot of the time I miss the last hit if I shuffl, so I've just been L-canceling those 2 aerials.

K Buns

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0146-9868-4081
Do any of you ever have trouble shffl ing nair or dair? I find a lot of the time I miss the last hit if I shuffl, so I've just been L-canceling those 2 aerials.
Personally, I don't have any difficulty shffling either of those two. I use the c-stick down to input the dair most of the time so it comes out faster so you can get all of the hits.

Last edited:

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I figured out this glitch, but its really cool. If you double jump right under a platform(having the sparkle effect right below the platform), he will land right on the platform with no lag. And it's not just wave landing on the platform. The only problem is that is has a very very small window in which this can be executed. I haven't figured out all the uses for it yet, but its really good for juggling and preventing people from coming down. I discovered this cool little bug when a buddy and I were playing and I used this cool glitch into an upsmash and killed him.

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
@ ForgottenLabRat ForgottenLabRat I found the timing for this AT to be a full jump then a double jump right when you're rising and his hair is just above the platform and your face is right below it. I have about 50-70% consistency and its best use is to DJC platform cancel (DJCPC) into a grab or a standing atk- Tilts, Fsmash, or magnet.

It's also useful for punishing tech rolls / missed techs bc you can DJCPC into immediate shield or jab reset.

Also great for landing on platform and getting an aerial at an opp. above you or on the platform. In addition, Lucas regains the second jump 10+ frames faster than a waveland.

Overall I hate this AT bc I'll go for a double jump rising aerial then I'm randomly whiffing atks on a platform missing a potential punish or stock kill.

IamElise

Smash Rookie
Reminds me of the DJ Landing Tech Peach and Yoshi. I would like to add and say my ways of playing with Lucas. My neutral would be approaching PKF from mid-distances, Rope Snake from up close, and either would pop them up into a magnet djc nair uair or bair. At mid percent, I love to approach with dair or Rope Snake to get an USmash or DACUS for each respective situation as they are placed perfectly for either kill. If I get a grab at this same or higher percentage, I like to DThrow to guess and do USmash, running USmash or DACUS, which I practice a lot because of tight timing. If anyone can tell me about edgeguarding with Lucas, which I find tricky and awkward, let me know.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
This is DJ-landing onto platforms. It feels super good once you have it down, but usually is a 1 frame window (dependent on stage/platform), i.e. hard. Getting it down will also decrease the chances of performing it accidentally, so it's good to know. For performing magnets on platforms you can often just use the Magnet while airborn and land during it to be faster and still ground jump of the platform. You can also Magnet instead of DJ-landing and then DJ-land with the jump cancel of Magnet (yay to super difficult techs!)

I believe this was discussed multiple times on these boards, so you could try searching for what other people had to say. There was too much more important tech skill to train before 3.5, though, so DJ-landing didn't get used too much. Now that most of Lucas really difficult tech is less important, DJ-landings could get more widespread.

On another note: Switching C-Stick to "Attack" instead of "Smash" makes DJC NAirs much easier. This wasn't much talked about here before, because, again, DJC NAirs weren't used that much during 3.0, but with FAir being nerfed and NAir being easier to SDI, DJC NAirs could become more important. At least trying out that controller-setup might be a good idea (has a few other differences to C-Stick set too Smash, notably other aerials requiring more precise inputs and FTilts instead of FSmashes on C-Stick).

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
I've known about Lucas's Double Jump Landing for quite some time now (since around summer of last year) and have been playing around with it from time to time, thinking of ways to get it down consistently and how to make use of it. I actually have a set or two where I try using it to my advantage.

Here's an example of me using it from the ledge to safely run over Marth and attempt to get back into neutral: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=164RX771u0k#t=357

I've gotten this down somewhat consistently...but only in practice. I have yet to get it down consistently when using it as say...a platform tech chase or a follow up.

I've also put this into practice on every legal stage with platforms. This is something I planned on making a guide for this (in terms of the the frame data) and also put out some sort of timing that people can use for muscle memory for the various platform heights throughout the game's legal stages. I've also come up with potential ideas for this AT, but once again, I'd like to actually pull them off consistently on opponents before I go around saying whether or not something is guaranteed.

With that being said, would anyone be interested if I did put out some sort of material that can give a better understanding of this? It'd be a good way for me to contribute to his dead Lucas forum, but I'd like to know who actually wants it first.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
In attempts to revive the Lucas forums and put myself out there in terms of being one of the top knowledgable Lucas players, I'm in the process of creating a Lucas guide. @ IamElise IamElise I would recommend heading over there and checking it out.

I'll be adding more to @NeonApophis' MU guide as time progresses. I have a bit of insight into Falco / Marth I would like to start writing up on as well as a few other MUs that are tricky for Lucas.

tl;dr check out my guide, lmk what you think. I'll be sharing much of my knowledge with the character when possible. The Lucas forums shall be revived!

PS @ Kipcom Kipcom I would love to see a write-up on this AT. Having more knowledge about it could prove beneficial. If anything, it's really cool (y)

Last edited:
Top Bottom