• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with improving mindsets

PKFreeZZy

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
VETR#758
Hey guys.

I'm just a bit over my first year of playing Melee competitively. I have some tech skill, a rather average combo game, good edgeguards and DI. I just started learning what neutral is and how to actually approach.

However, there's one thing that keeps holding me back from being consistent.

Once I start losing stocks, I also start losing my mind and the ability to concentrate. To put it simply, I have an awful mindset in general.

So my question is, is there a guide or anyone who can help me improve this weakness of mine?

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Two things to think about when you lose a stock:
1.) It didn't happen
2.) You're way better than them
I always tell myself that as a way to retain confidence

LSSH | fish

Smash Rookie
The way I personally maintain composure in game is to always take things at face value and think critically. For example if I get shine spiked at zero I'd think, okay, how do I setup for a big enough combo to make a comeback and how do I force the neutral in my favour after taking that stock.

I believe that the more critically you look at the game the less you're effected by the negative situations. Be a robot.

SSBM Tao

Smash Cadet
Usually, I just don't let it resonate with me that I'm losing. Just think about what you will do next. If you focus on neutral and your opponent, you forget about your stocks. Also, it is important to realize that confidence comes from experience as well, because tourney nerves kick in the newer you are.

Top Bottom