• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with Ike neutral game

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this is already somewhere but I couldn't find anything. What are Ike's best tools in the neutral? I have mostly tried receding Nair or fair, but have no clue if it doesn't get better than that.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Jab, Grab, Dtilt, Bair, Nair, Fair.

Jab is fairly obvious.

Grab leads into lots of combos.

Dtilt is fast, leads into combos.

Bair and Fair auto cancel.

Nair has very low landing lag. Nair also leads into combos, and is fairly safe on shield when spaced correctly.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924

Jab is fairly obvious.

Nair has very low landing lag. Nair also leads into combos, and is fairly safe on shield when spaced correctly.
Yep.

Pivot grab can replace pivot ftilt. Jab2 can replace normal uses of ftilt. Ftilt is better at kill % until you're completely comfortable with it.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice

Jab is fairly obvious.

Thank you. Informative, short and sweet. Just what I was looking for.

Will read up on that. Thanks for helping.

D

Deleted member 269706

Fair can autocancel if you shorthop then fair right away (no fast fall) or full hop > fair works as well. Great tools for spacing. Everything else has been mentioned. Nair is also a great tool. QD is also great for mobility because it can autocancel at certain heights so you can act directly out of it.

Also work on your tomahawks and empty hops to bait certain reactions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You also have to take into consideration movement options and spacing. You want to stay in your range and stay just out of theirs. For most characters, Ike has a huge disjoint they have to go through so you have a range advantage. The best ways for movement options and spacing in this game are through Ike's very good shield dash, his trot dance and perfect pivoting. There's also using tomahawks and empty jumps to set up other actions. Ike's dash grab and pivot grab are both strong tools for Ike to use due to the better grab box on them compared to his standing grab which is lousy.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Grabs help alot as people have said. I actually don't like Nair on shield like some of you have suggested, alot of the cast can punish you even if spaced correctly. There are better options than nair in the neutral game, but if you get a read with it then you can get something nice out of it.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ike's neutral air is 100 percent safe on shield when spaced. You're at -10 frame disadvantage. It takes 8 frames to drop shield. -2 on shield. It's only unsafe on whiff or if you're super close to them.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike's neutral air is 100 percent safe on shield when spaced. You're at -10 frame disadvantage. It takes 8 frames to drop shield. -2 on shield. It's only unsafe on whiff or if you're super close to them.
Of if they have a frame 2 jab, or an up B like Marth's/Roy's.

Its not an option I would say to rely on, but it is an option I'd say worth getting use to.

Besides, spacing practice isn't exactly a bad thing to do.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Of if they have a frame 2 jab, or an up B like Marth's/Roy's.

Its not an option I would say to rely on, but it is an option I'd say worth getting use to.

Besides, spacing practice isn't exactly a bad thing to do.
No frame 2 jab can out-space Ragnell. Roy's Up-B also doesn't start frame 2. Marth's is frame 5. Roy's is frame 9.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It the fact that they have invincibility/super armour. They're going to beat any anything we try to do after Nair on shield other than shield/spotdodge (doubtful our jab would be able to hit), making it a rather dangerous game of rock paper scissors if we Nair their shield.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Up angled F-tilt is the most criminally underrated option in neutral on Ike imo. But other than that I think other people covered everything.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It the fact that they have invincibility/super armour. They're going to beat any anything we try to do after Nair on shield other than shield/spotdodge (doubtful our jab would be able to hit), making it a rather dangerous game of rock paper scissors if we Nair their shield.
Buffered jab would beat Blazer as you'd hit before Blazer's super armor. You would barely miss if Marth up-bs however. Though it isn't a very good neutral option because if you shield the up-b you get a free juggle.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
In addition to everything mentioned, I feel that Dash Attack allows Ike to go through projectile-spammers and punish rolls.

Of course, spacing is always key with these things

Arrei

Smash Lord
It can't quite go through spam, since it takes so long to start up, but if you know an opponent is prone to start spitting projectiles at you the moment they get some distance, a sweet-spotted dash attack could chew up their projectile, and hit them with both hitboxes for a brutal punish.

NerfAkira

Smash Rookie
nair spam into qd can catch some people out occasionally. ikes ground game approach tends to be a little bit lacking against a few characters, hes a really good wall maker though. my go to's are nair, grab, and down tilt. forward air tends not to be worth it over nair as it comes out at about the same speed, and has way more end lag, its a better finisher or means to push people off stage, same goes for the back air, both of these aren't your best neutral options, but can be good solo kill options come 120%ish.

Top Bottom