• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with going against G&W as Sonic

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
First of I'd like to introduce my self. My name is NyTRO! New to Smashboards and happy to be a part of the family. Anyways, as the title says... I need help. Last week I was going against a friend of mine that literally picks up characters just to "counter" pick my Sonic. First, it was Marth with the constant forward throw to forward smash and then from there just forward smashes to edge guard, then Fox to show me the power of that disgusting up smash and stupid shine.. Lol but now he literally picked a character that I just can't do anything to. Aside from always getting lucky 9's and always down throw, jab, side-b'ing (if I miss my tech) I can't approach him at all! All he does is just forward air and l-cancel all over the place. Homing attack? Nope. Down-B? Not even. Side-B? Still no. His forward air lasts so long and just has so much priority over everything I do! It's rediculous! I got so salty over it last week that I literally said "nah f*** this. I'm never playing sonic against that thing." And then switched to my Ike just so could destroy him. Those damned disjointed, long lasting, harding hitting hit boxes just annoying me. Even if I did hit him all he'd do is down tilt after CC. He would literally stand there and if I even got close with either side or down b he'd just down tilt and hit me. It was kinda lame seeing myself actually land some sweet combos and then he just comes with the characters that he picks and just hits me twice and get the same percent cause of my peanut damage.. Anyways.. Yeah help me out here please? (PS, I've tried grabbing or baiting but after his forward air he'd just l cancel and down tilt so I could never do much with that) Thanks in advanced!

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
avoid approaching with any specials besides blast and side-b, in all honesty those should be icing on the cake not the whole thing, sonics aerials and tilts are far better suited to dealing with most situations, dash dance to bait whiffs then try approaching with fair, nair, or grab>uthrow>uair

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
avoid approaching with any specials besides blast and side-b, in all honesty those should be icing on the cake not the whole thing, sonics aerials and tilts are far better suited to dealing with most situations, dash dance to bait whiffs then try approaching with fair, nair, or grab>uthrow>uair
The problem is that his down tilt stops all of my specials. I can't even spring gimp him cause his up just eats the spring. Coming back on stage is such a pain too cause all of my specials would just get rejected by his fair everything I tried to recover and if I tried to go low to sweet spot up he'd already be holding on to the edge so I can barely touch him. I fought him today during class and literally had to pick up Link on the spot to beat his G&W. I suck, man. Lol

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that his down tilt stops all of my specials. I can't even spring gimp him cause his up just eats the spring. Coming back on stage is such a pain too cause all of my specials would just get rejected by his fair everything I tried to recover and if I tried to go low to sweet spot up he'd already be holding on to the edge so I can barely touch him. I fought him today during class and literally had to pick up Link on the spot to beat his G&W. I suck, man. Lol
Just keep it simple, start slow, dash dance get a whiff and just grab or fair then go from there, it all starts with the first hit. fundamental movement tech is very important on sonic you should be able to avoid literally every character in the game if the stage allows for it (aka not yoshis basically)

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
Yea
Just keep it simple, start slow, dash dance get a whiff and just grab or fair then go from there, it all starts with the first hit. fundamental movement tech is very important on sonic you should be able to avoid literally every character in the game if the stage allows for it (aka not yoshis basically)
Yeah Yoshi's Salt is a bad stage for me haha

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
Please wait for this to come up in the discussion board for sonic match-ups. we would like to keep this organized.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Dont worry, a week has passed so from today to tomorrow GnW will have the priority for now.

Top Bottom