• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with combos.

booshk

Smash Lord
Well to put it simply, I've bin geting me *** handed to me at the video game club at my school. I would apreseate any and all help. Oh, one other thing, we CAN'T use advance moves.
CAN'T use advanced moves?
can't help u there then -.-

uremog

Smash Ace
as in they're banned? >_< or you physically can't do them?

either way, shield grab and uthrow to combos with utilt and fairs. or fthrow tech chase. marth will murder noobs like that.

or, you know, you could be more specific than "i've been losing, pls help".

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Wow can't use advanced moves, does that include wavedashing? I agree with above post, use fairs and utilts to combo into a finisher. Maybe a Fsmash or a Dair or something like that. Maybe even a B :) . If they don't let you use Advanced moves, you could probably L-cancel and they wouldn't know.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me for people to ban the advanced techniques because they look like glitches. Some people are just crazy like that... And yeah, fthrow->fsmash ***** on newbies. Shieldgrabbing is pretty hard to prevent without L-cancelling, too, so do that a lot. If you aren't play opponents with good tech skill, you shouldn't need much else, hehe.

zerlander

Smash Cadet
Well there are alot of noobs at my school, I can beat them no problem, it's the guys how played SSBM ever sence it came out that I have problem with, there to good. Oh and by the way, The Noobs were complaning about the advance moves, thats why thay toke them out. =(

flaco

The Terminator
Well I would say there all noob and scrubs,anyway back to topic um am asumming that you main try double fairs and l cancel here and there,also try marths dash dance but I must say there noobs to complained about advance moves.

zerlander

Smash Cadet
i would quit that club as soon as they banned advanced moves. if advanced moves can't be used, why play?
Well there is nothing else to do, They bannded me from playing Mario cart because i'm to good. And the only other thing to do at my school at lunch is sit arouned and do homework (which I all was finnish in class.) So that is why I'm still in the club.

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
Man, those players in your club must REALLY suck to ban adv techs. I guess just kick their a**es with chainthrowing into fsmash or i guess mindgames, its subtle and not an adv tech.

Soanevalck

Smash Ace
whoa, if your video game club is banning you just because you're better at a game then all the other people, your club has some serious issues it needs to work out, thats really just rediculous

and banning advanced techniques? try teaching them advanced techniques if you haven't already

if there are at least a few people who don't mind you using advanced techniques, then just play against them

zerlander

Smash Cadet
whoa, if your video game club is banning you just because you're better at a game then all the other people, your club has some serious issues it needs to work out, thats really just rediculous

and banning advanced techniques? try teaching them advanced techniques if you haven't already

if there are at least a few people who don't mind you using advanced techniques, then just play against them
It's not the SSB club, it's the Mario Cart club. I always come in 1st place so thay didn't want me to be in the Mario club so thats why I joined the SSB club (but if I had known there was an SSB club, I whould have quit the Mario club and joined the SSB club when it came out.) And I do play people how don't mined about advance moves, so we play with them sometimes if there are no noobs playing.

uremog

Smash Ace
so just throw and dd till they die and watch them complain about never hitting you in the whole freakin match

zerlander

Smash Cadet
What happend to the help, I'm still getting my *** kicked and no one gave me any usefull held. You all complane about no advance moves. So stop complaning and please help me, or I would have put this post up for nothing.

dori.

Smash Apprentice
well tell us who they use and how they play

also, keep kicking thier *** until they learn advanced techs and stop sucking

Rubber Adze

Smash Rookie
There is a serious problem with your club. I wonder if this is really a video game club as opposed to a preserve the noob's pride club. With advanced techs you wipe the floor with them, but without them you fail. That's like them asking Marth to play with fists and not a sword. C'mon now. I'm getting the impression that you aren't standing up for yourself. Instead of submitting to them, why don't you instead teach them? Show them exactly how to use shffls and wavedashing, how nasty chain grabbing can be, how to edge guard. Play a more active role in the club; you have the skills, now get the right attitude. This way, if the club is worth its weight in dung, the members will embrace your lessons, and might actually pose worthy competition. If, on the other hand, they keep acting as stubborn asshats, then drop them. They aren't worth playing with.

sonofashrub

Smash Apprentice
It might be worth practicing with them, though. Advanced Techs aren't all there is to the game. Dodging, sidestepping and the such are very useful techniques to know and getting to the point where you don't need advanced techs as much might be helpful when you reincorporate them into your game.

Winning is still about skill and not adv. techs. Those just help a lot.

Rubber Adze

Smash Rookie
It might be worth practicing with them, though. Advanced Techs aren't all there is to the game. Dodging, sidestepping and the such are very useful techniques to know and getting to the point where you don't need advanced techs as much might be helpful when you reincorporate them into your game.

Winning is still about skill and not adv. techs. Those just help a lot.
True, winning isn't necessarily about advanced techs...but what could he learn playing with these guys? Skill is practically based on advance techs, at higher levels. Not saying that mind games don't play a part, but you won't get much better if you restrict yourself for such a petty reason as someone else's pride. Besides, if those guys play with that kind of an attitude, I doubt the tc would get much better--he'd lose sight of the advance techs and different mindset that they bring, if he lowered himself to play with them. For example, before I learned advance techs, the game was basically roll --> roll --> dash attack --> roll --> roll...omg it's a down smash! >_> But seriously, it was completely different.

I just don't see why he shouldn't give a shot at trying to pull the others up to his level.

demonsbane105

Smash Journeyman
well, i don't know the second thing about these ssb clubs but they should have a beginner section and an advanced section. (the sections' reasoning is pretty obvious) anyway, you can still win without the advanced moves. sidestepping is the biggest thing i use because it has almost no lag time. do they even let you use the fair-dair combo? that would really help if they did.

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Good god, find a different group of people to play SSBM with if your "club" doesn't allow advanced techniques. Even without advanced techniques you should be beating people who are bad as they sound. All you really need is L-cancels and grabs and they sure can't ban L-cancels.

Which characters are you having trouble against? If they're all as bad as it sounds I assume they all play Shiek and a few horrible Foxes and Marths. Just learn to SHFFL n-air and u-throw to u-tilt or f-throw to f-smash.......I guarantee you'll win almost every time and it's not "cheating". But seriously, just find actual Smash players instead of these morons.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
Why don't you try learning them advance moves? (if you can ofcourse)
Cause it would make it more fun that way (in the end just ban the people who are complaining that Advanced moves are glitches :p )

Eugenio

Smash Lord
Well Zerlander, It sounds like even if you do get good without advanced techs(which completely and totaly defeats the purpose of playing IMO) they will just ban you anyway for kicking there *** all the time, just like they did you in Mario Kart. I suppose if you'r just a casual gamer who just wants to pass the time playin video games, then it doesn't matter. Do some short hop arials, forward air and neutral air, without an L cancel. Do alot of spot dodging, shieldgrabbing..... *sigh* I can't belive I just told this kid not to L cancel. This is the first time I've ever actually called some one this but... those kids at you school are LITERALLY noobs. I'm pretty sure if I was to look up the word noob in the dictionary I would see a picture of your video game club. How do you ban advanced Techs in Smash? Thats like banning the use of brakes in Grand Turismo, or banning bullets in Halo, or banning a Quarter back in Madden. It just makes no sense to me, I will be god****ed if I go to a tourny and they ban wavedashing, L canceling, short hopping and DI. I would just go to that club of yours and sit there and laugh.

Jedi (Marth)

Smash Cadet
What I'm confused about is: Who decides what an advanced technique is? I mean, there's nothing advanced about Directional Influence. Well... not as much to classify it as an Adv. Tech - same thing with Teching from walls - but then if you DI into a wall to tech from it, is that an adv. tech? I could understand ( no, I can't - but anway) how they Ban WD for being an adv. tech, but there's a good what like 3/4th's of the adv. techs that are just your average techs with more emphasis. Who says you can't drop from a ledge using your DJ to nair the edge guarder? Basically, what I mean is - and without sounding 'underhanded' - your best bet is to have them list the techs you can't use. Then, develop the ones you can to a point of mastery. By the sounds of it, even less than that would send them running...

Eugenio

Smash Lord
What I'm confused about is: Who decides what an advanced technique is? I mean, there's nothing advanced about Directional Influence. Well... not as much to classify it as an Adv. Tech - same thing with Teching from walls - but then if you DI into a wall to tech from it, is that an adv. tech? I could understand ( no, I can't - but anway) how they Ban WD for being an adv. tech, but there's a good what like 3/4th's of the adv. techs that are just your average techs with more emphasis. Who says you can't drop from a ledge using your DJ to nair the edge guarder? Basically, what I mean is - and without sounding 'underhanded' - your best bet is to have them list the techs you can't use. Then, develop the ones you can to a point of mastery. By the sounds of it, even less than that would send them running...
Well man, they way he described those noobs at his school, they prbably banned everything but pressing X and A.

booshk

Smash Lord
i hav a feeling this guy's club is non existant and he simply wants toknow combos thatdon't involve advanced techniques hedoesnt use.
although if u think about it, sh dd cb are all advance techniques
the only thing u have is tilts, smash attacks, dashing with dd :( and.....rolling.

demonsbane105

Smash Journeyman
well i can imagine this club having rules like that in school. school does tend to pamper those who are weak. like i said before, they really need advanced sections and beginner sections.

madskillz

Smash Cadet
Here's one that you can do with just A and X.

You most likely want to do this if your opponent has about 45%-65% damage.

What you can do is sprint forward and A, hitting them up. Then jump and fair, and if you hit them right they fly upwards a little, then just jump again and as you past them vertically in the air, a little bit above them, do dair, hitting them downwards.

You might be able to do this when your're right next to them also.

This is a great move near the edge of the stage, it can give them about 30%-40% damage, and knock them below the stage. Works on a lot of my experienced friends and all Lv. 9 computers.

If you work on it, you can get more combinations off of it too.

Mann

Smash Ace
Nair and L-cancelling. Just say that it's good luck for you to press the L/R/Z button before you hit the ground. I don't think they'll look at your hands the whole time anyways.

L-cancel.

Top Bottom