• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help on breaking flowchart habit

Volkrion

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow Bowsers!

So I have started to try to play competitively again after a 5-6 month hiatus and wanted to start asking questions and learning about how to improve.

So one of the big things which I am being told is that I have a tendency of starting with a lot of habits and flowcharts and that if the player switches it up I do too, but that I can only do it after the opponent switches first, and that I can't do it before they do so I end up behind. And also that I can't seem to do any innovative things with Bowser, only that I can do a lot of things that work and nothing more. For instance, I used to play a Peach player in my area's brackets a lot before, and I have won in the past, but playing again recently this year, I felt he adjusted really well to my playstyle and I felt completely stuck. Like I can't 'read' him at all, and I don't know how to mix it up first to be able to win now.

I would like to know if any of you other Bowsers have faced the problem of being stuck in a flowchart with no creativity and how to beat it? I rely a lot on reads so I feel stuck if I can't read my opponent at all and they 'download' me, but I can't 'download' them back. Is it going to be really hard to get to the habit of being able to download opponents first?

Also I have posted previous tourney videos before in a stickied thread here just for reference.(I think page 6 or 7 or so)

Thanks!

Last edited:

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Find some buddies to play with! I find that I struggle a little with flowcharts now and then, but the best way to beat it is to find somebody who can adapt to your playstyle and doesn't always fall for it. Make quick note of something that doesn't work the second or third time in a row, then take a different approach :)

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Find a way a way of recording one of the games where you think you might be flowcharting. Every single time you get hit, pause the playback and think of 5 ways you could have prevented it. Sometimes it's as simple as DI better, other times you might have to avoid making a decision that you made several seconds beforehand. While you're at it, every time you get a hit, think of 5 ways you could have done more damage, or at least get yourself in a better position.

Top Bottom