• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help improving alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madao

@ Meek_ Meek_ sorry about all that. Let me know if there are any posts you want me to move from here. As for advice, I think Shadow Boxing is a good way to practice. If you play on emulator, I suggest you practice with Hitbox display enabled so that you can learn the characters better. Training mode is good for practicing combos. Don't let the vocal minority ruin your perception of our community :) .

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
okay so i watched that video... studstill i understand what it's like being so frustrated and angry that i would say anything to get back at the person that was upsetting me... haven't we all been there at one point or another?

the rest of you yeah he was saying some messed-up things but take some responsibility for needling him with sarcasm until he snapped... also posting that video with that title is clearly internet bullying and i'm surprised a mod hasn't removed it yet.

i mean come on have a heart.

also way not cool for bringing up his dead father... come on just apologize all around and be bros we're all human beings here. feelings get hurt but i see no reason we can't all get along if we really try.

peace and love is where it's at dudes. :)
For the 100th time, we were not trying to egg him on nor were we constantly hitting him with sarcasm and insults until he snapped. The video you're referring to is merely a 36 minutes out of a 3 long hour skype call that studstill insisted on having. A bunch of us were just playing and laughing and having fun. Studstill just naturally got mad at a lot of the things we say even if they are not offensive, such as normal usage of game terminology or talking about efficient strategies for characters. The video itself is just a random chunk of that skype call where studstill went off the rails after cobr mentioned studstill's inefficient upB spam.

You have got to be the dumbest ****ing guy I`ve ever met. Did you really just waste 6 minutes of your life (again, see your other ****riding stalker video that totally missed the point) making this ******** thing?
Maybe you should try not manipulating the edge programming, or trying a different attack to get back.
Fire ****ing blaster.

People: Hey Fire watch my car! I`ll give you 20$.
Fire: OK.
People: Where did it go?
Fire: I watched as some guy took it; PAY ME, IDIOT HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

**** you ********. It`s embarrassing the circle of people this makes you look good too. Good ****ing riddance.
Hey no need to get mad broseph. You literally posted that challenge and asked anyone to post video evidence that it wasn't difficult and I did just that. I also did it to show any potential new players that trying to make fighting CPU's hard as practice is not a good idea because in the end you'll just learn the most efficient ways to abuse CPU AI instead of how to be good in general against humans. My video also did that just fine.

oops double post

Last edited by a moderator:

Shears

Smash Master
Are CPUs a good way to train to be the best? No
Are CPUs a good way to train to at least be competitive? Yes if you try to play them as a human and not exploit the programming
Are humans the best way to train? Yes

CPUs should be used for you to get your foot in the door and take you to the next level. I exclusively played CPUs until about 8 months ago when I started Xanadu. Did it make me amazing at the game? No, but it allowed me to refine certain mechanics and get comfortable with a character enough to at least be competitive. If the humans you have available to play suck at the game and are basically organic CPUs, then playing the humans really won't do much for you, but if you're at a point where you can beat the CPU easily you've at least made the next step (for some people this is almost immediate).

Playing humans can be a challenging way to grow as a player. If you spent your time playing humans that were significantly worse than you there wouldn't be much room for you to improve outside of picking other characters and learning them but even then your development will only be so much. On the other hand, playing humans like boom that are significantly better than you can be discouraging because not only will you get beat down very badly, the amount of metagame and tech to learn can be overwhelming that you may not improve at all since you can't even figure out what you're doing wrong or what you need to do better.

-Find someone who is only a little bit better than you and then try and beat them.
-Once you've beaten them move on to someone better (this may be the same person as they learn to adapt to beat you too).
-Get online and try and find players that are much better than you and use that as a progress tracker to see how much better you get by comparing how much better you do after you train.
-Go to tournaments where you play for hours with tons of different players and get rekt.
-Think about how to play the game and how to approach and what moves you can do that are better alternatives to what you're doing now. Most of your growth is in your mind not your hands.

Studstill

Smash Ace
For the thousandth time, I`m not mad.
You`re a ****ing child and an idiot. An idiot-child. Or a child-idiot.
Not sure. Don`t care.
And arrogant. You assume eyvery player can do the suck drop up B 21 times in a row.
Basically I came in here to say something to a new player, to encourage him on ways to play wihtout opponents as was the OP, lmao, but you and your obviously large ego and tiny **** just couldn`t handle it.
And you can ****ing forget being cool man. Keep your distance from me, ************.

Are CPUs a good way to train to at least be competitive? Yes if you try to play them as a human and not exploit the programming

No, but it allowed me to refine certain mechanics and get comfortable with a character enough to at least be competitive. If the humans you have available to play suck at the game and are basically organic CPUs, then playing the humans really won't do much for you, but if you're at a point where you can beat the CPU easily you've at least made the next step (for some people this is almost immediate).
Where`s your stupid video for that?
**** you Fireblaster, rofl.
Not sure why @ Madao Madao encourages this virulent asshole.

And seriously, quit PMing me about triple posts like anyone gives a damn.
"Hey, um I know you were posting about being harassed, but the much bigger problem is the number of consecutive posts."
You know, if you would just do your ****ing job we`d probably have a great forum by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

caneut

Smash Ace
And seriously, quit PMing me about triple posts like anyone gives a damn.
"Hey, um I know you were posting about being harassed, but the much bigger problem is the number of consecutive posts."
You know, if you would just do your ****ing job we`d probably have a great forum by now.
its not hard to not triple post. you seem to be pretty fluent ad editing your posts, just edit and add a post to the previous one

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
For the thousandth time, I`m not mad.
You`re a ****ing child and an idiot. An idiot-child. Or a child-idiot.
Not sure. Don`t care.
And arrogant. You assume eyvery player can do the suck drop up B 21 times in a row.
Actually I'm pretty sure any new player who can learn basic controls can learn how to do this quite easily. In the video I didn't realize my input display had glitched and stopped working but I don't think anyone in the world thinks that this is hard to do. In fact, the thing most casual players talk about is "how cheap" suicide tactics like that were since anyone could do it.

Basically I came in here to say something to a new player, to encourage him on ways to play wihtout opponents as was the OP, lmao, but you and your obviously large ego and tiny **** just couldn`t handle it.
And you can ****ing forget being cool man. Keep your distance from me, mother****er.
Nothing to do with ego, a challenge was presented and I responded to the challenge. I like breaking challenges.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Warning Received
You didn`t break ****. You are one of the stupidest, weakest people I`ve ever met.

Why are you covered in horse ****, Fireblaster?
Ummm excuse me guys, you said to "Help Jack off the horse", duh.

You take something that could be challenging and change the rules so that it`s easy. Wow man so impressive. We should revere you as Challenge-Breaker!
Here`s one: Can you **** yourself?

Of course no one thinks what you did was hard. LOL. You are like unaware of your own idiocy, I mena, do you really think that was the point? AHAH.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
You take something that could be challenging and change the rules so that it`s easy. Wow man so impressive. We should revere you as Challenge-Breaker!
Here`s one: Can you **** yourself?
What rules did I change for this challenge? I followed all the guidelines that you set.

Of course no one thinks what you did was hard. LOL. You are like unaware of your own idiocy, I mena, do you really think that was the point? AHAH.
I didn't think it was hard but clearly you thought it was:

Please post video evidence disproving my claim that this is difficult.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
ok fireblaster the caption at the top of your video reads, "studstill is wrong again". how would you like to be publicly humiliated, like with caneut's removed video which was titled, "studstill goes ape****"? (really, think about that for a second). it can't be that much fun... you're obviously upsetting him, and you seem to be doing it on purpose. i've been bullied before & it sucks, believe me... the feelings of helplessness, sadness & rage can be all-consuming, & i'm seeing that clearly exhibited with studstill. you aren't helping the situation at all by antagonizing him under the pretext of breaking his challenge (with an obviously unintended strategy)... why don't you try being nice to him & see what happens?

studstill: i know you're upset but really try to hold it together man. remember, people are going to make judgments about you if you keep breaking the forum rules, flying off the handle & saying horrible things... you gotta take some responsibility for the things you choose to say, regardless of the reason or past situations. try taking ten deep breaths & trying to be more diplomatic before replying to something that bothers you... appeals to reason will always be more beneficial than a personal attack.

if you both keep trying to be the one that's right, nobody is gonna benefit. an apology can go a long ways, both of you... really the goal here should be to create a harmonious & pleasant environment to explore this game & escape the stresses of the world. please understand that i'm really only trying to help. i don't have the entire backstory, i know; just calling it how i see it now & trying to soothe the argument. :)

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I'm not apologizing because I haven't done anything wrong. When I ask for help anywhere, one of the things I hate the most is being given unhelpful or bad advice. When someone asks for help on how to improve at smash bros and someone else comes up with bad advice like "fight 3 lvl 9 cpu's" it bothers me because it could be hindering a newer player from getting better and leading him to disappointment when he spends a bunch of time doing a training method only to find out later that it was a complete waste. The scrolling text in my video is poking fun at how studstill has been spreading false info in this forum and has been proven wrong time after time again and refuses to learn.

ok fireblaster the caption at the top of your video reads, "studstill is wrong again". how would you like to be publicly humiliated, like with caneut's removed video which was titled, "studstill goes ape****"? (really, think about that for a second). it can't be that much fun... you're obviously upsetting him, and you seem to be doing it on purpose. i've been bullied before & it sucks, believe me... the feelings of helplessness, sadness & rage can be all-consuming, & i'm seeing that clearly exhibited with studstill. you aren't helping the situation at all by antagonizing him under the pretext of breaking his challenge (with an obviously unintended strategy)... why don't you try being nice to him & see what happens
Unintended strategy? Don't even try to use that word "Unintended" as if it carried any weight in these discussions. Sakurai did not intend for yoshi and Ness to be able to break someone's shield like we do. He did not intend for kirby to be able to use hyrule to shut down offensive capabilities of nearly the whole cast. He did not intend for fox to have the capability to keep someone infinitely in the slowest damaging juggle in the world. What's intended or not doesn't matter and what does matter is what is possible and what isn't.

Also, like pretty much everyone in this community, I was a nice person to studstill. That is until he started responding badly in normal discussion and he started getting mad over things like the terminology we use.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
"poking fun at" <-- that's my point. you are antagonizing him on purpose, & that is wrong. two wrongs don't make a right.
"unintended". i'll use whatever word i want, whenever i want... telling me what to do will never change that.

"unintended STRATEGY" <-- obviously when studstill laid the challenge out he was specifying dealing with fireballs & not-getting-hit, implying staying on stage.

seriously i think you're more in the wrong here than studstill... you are the attacker in this situation. regardless of the past, take some responsibility for antagonizing him & remember: there's an ignore feature here for a reason if it's too much to be nice.

the original poster specifically said "tips for how to get better solo" & "wifi sucks, so no netplay"... shears laid it out perfectly above. obviously cpu practice is not ideal, but beats a dummy target or bad human competition for combo practice imo.

Shears

Smash Master
"poking fun at" <-- that's my point. you are antagonizing him on purpose, & that is wrong. two wrongs don't make a right.
"unintended". i'll use whatever word i want, whenever i want... telling me what to do will never change that.

"unintended STRATEGY" <-- obviously when studstill laid the challenge out he was specifying dealing with fireballs & not-getting-hit, implying staying on stage.

seriously i think you're more in the wrong here than studstill... you are the attacker in this situation. regardless of the past, take some responsibility for antagonizing him & remember: there's an ignore feature here for a reason if it's too much to be nice.

the original poster specifically said "tips for how to get better solo" & "wifi sucks, so no netplay"... shears laid it out perfectly above. obviously cpu practice is not ideal, but beats a dummy target or bad human competition for combo practice imo.
There is a lot you don't know about the relationships Studstill and others have here and its encouraging to see you try to mediate it all and be the "adult" here but your best bet is to just ignore it entirely. Do Fireblaster and others antagonize Studstill? Yes. Does Studstill go ape**** and ask for some of the antagonizing? Yes. Should all of it stop? Yes. Will it all stop? Probably not. A lot of hate that he gets is based off some past things that put a bad taste in people's mouths, i.e. rulesets and terminology, that are kind of unfairly giving him harassment still. He's a very against the grain type person that can lead to a lot of misunderstandings and plain old disagreement. His temper, and the temper of others, escalates these disagreements and misunderstandings. Trust me, just stay out of all this, you will not win, no one will win, its an endless mutually assured nuclear destruction. Stick to talking to madao or bananabolts or maafia as they are some of the most neutral people on these boards.

Madao

Drama aside, I this think thread has a lot of potential. We could really use a general advice thread for getting better at this game. So I'd like for the argument(s) to be continued in Social thread if you guys insist. Keep it clean of course.
might not be a good idea to make a thread for this, but new player here, trying to get better, but my wifi sucks and i dont pay for it so i cant make it better :( too afraid to play online in case it lags and such, so does anyone have any ideas about how i can improve by playing solo? like drills and stuff, for practicing tech. how good an idea is practicing against cpus? hopefully this is a temporary situation

thanks for reading :)
I'd say the best way to practice alone is training mode. I strongly recommend you use the hitbox display code so that you can learn the game better. In training mode, you can really master execution. With emulator, you're able to do some really neat things for practicing. I remember mixa made some interesting videos although I'm not sure if they are still available. I'm able to practice various things with emulator, like making my character stuck in hitlag so I can freely practice DIing. I'm also able to see the frame counters so I can have a good idea about timing certain things. Oh, another good thing to do is practice in slow motion (only when you need to of course). It can help you figure things out, that were too hard to do at normal speed.

For getting better at strategy, you have to use your imagination, as well as watching other people play. Don't be afraid to try new things. Some people may recommend sticking to 1 or 2 characters, but I think it's good to at least occasionally practice with each character.

Certain advice like training against cpu's is debatable because your mileage may vary. It depends on your gameplay and mindset. It's not the best method of training, but it can have some uses.

Meek_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1134-9016-5234
it might be worth pointing out that since i made this thread i've pretty easily beaten 1p mode on very hard with every character, only losing a stock or two and after watching high level tournament play i still feel absolutely worthless and slow and everyone in this thread would destroy me

dunno if very hard = lvl 9 but if it doesn't its probably close

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
it might be worth pointing out that since i made this thread i've pretty easily beaten 1p mode on very hard with every character, only losing a stock or two and after watching high level tournament play i still feel absolutely worthless and slow and everyone in this thread would destroy me

level 9 sucks

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

fighting lvl 9s is better than 1p made cuz its at least a close simulation to a real match. Fighting 20 yoshi's with 300% knockback and items on isnt very good training

Meek_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1134-9016-5234
yeah i was just doing it for fun, wasnt taking it seriously

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Poking fun is antagonizing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5zGDLib2Jg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79Y30DSxVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmfLyHjJwk

WOW ZENYORE STOP ANTAGONIZING COBR

So what? Let's say he added a clause "no using kirby to suck off opponents and put them under dreamland". Then the next best strategy becomes the best strategy and that strategy will also involve abusing the AI somehow. There is always a way to abuse the AI and if you keep adding rules for "don't abuse this" or "don't abuse that", well it's not a very good challenge then is it?

**** off with this garbage, nobody except caneut and kahnu have been antagonizing studstill (and even then caneut was nice to studstill at the beginning when studstill joined). This guy constantly disagrees with whatever the community does and insults the community overall or many of its members over silly or trivial reasons. Studstill is the only one antagonizing himself and you need to stop acting like you know better than what actually happened.

Here's better advice:

If you have no way to play against humans, go to training mode. Practice combos from combo videos or tournament matches. Practice movement and techniques (nobody's movement is perfect and you can always improve movement). Hell, you can even set the training mode dummy to "Evade" and try beating up on it then. That will at least give you a more realistic view of what tournament matches are like.

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Poking fun is antagonizing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5zGDLib2Jg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79Y30DSxVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmfLyHjJwk

WOW ZENYORE STOP ANTAGONIZING COBR

So what? Let's say he added a clause "no using kirby to suck off opponents and put them under dreamland". Then the next best strategy becomes the best strategy and that strategy will also involve abusing the AI somehow. There is always a way to abuse the AI and if you keep adding rules for "don't abuse this" or "don't abuse that", well it's not a very good challenge then is it?

**** off with this garbage, nobody except caneut and kahnu have been antagonizing studstill (and even then caneut was nice to studstill at the beginning when studstill joined). This guy constantly disagrees with whatever the community does and insults the community overall or many of its members over silly or trivial reasons. Studstill is the only one antagonizing himself and you need to stop acting like you know better than what actually happened.

Here's better advice:

If you have no way to play against humans, go to training mode. Practice combos from combo videos or tournament matches. Practice movement and techniques (nobody's movement is perfect and you can always improve movement). Hell, you can even set the training mode dummy to "Evade" and try beating up on it then. That will at least give you a more realistic view of what tournament matches are like.
i was nice to stud too but he really showed his true colors to me these last few months

i agree with alot of whats being said here
cpus suck

but i suck at smash and im a flaming 14 year old so what do i know about anything

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i was nice to stud too but he really showed his true colors to me these last few months

i agree with alot of whats being said here
cpus suck

but i suck at smash and im a flaming 14 year old so what do i know about anything
thanks for the new sig

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌░░▐▌░░░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌░░▐▌░░░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
good advice shears thanks i think i'll take it.

i'd love to help make the site as good a place as possible but i suppose conflict is inevitable... gonna bow out of the drama now.

just try to be nice to each other ok guys? :)

Studstill

Smash Ace
i
The CPU skill is linked to difficulty setting but it scales. Link sucks on all settings, etc.
See how you do against two 9`s Team attack off.

D

Deleted member

might not be a good idea to make a thread for this, but new player here, trying to get better, but my wifi sucks and i dont pay for it so i cant make it better :( too afraid to play online in case it lags and such, so does anyone have any ideas about how i can improve by playing solo? like drills and stuff, for practicing tech. how good an idea is practicing against cpus? hopefully this is a temporary situation

thanks for reading :)
knock around in training mode, until you master the tech of your character. then play cpu 9's over and over, until you 5 stock them everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom