• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help improving alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meek_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1134-9016-5234
might not be a good idea to make a thread for this, but new player here, trying to get better, but my wifi sucks and i dont pay for it so i cant make it better :( too afraid to play online in case it lags and such, so does anyone have any ideas about how i can improve by playing solo? like drills and stuff, for practicing tech. how good an idea is practicing against cpus? hopefully this is a temporary situation

thanks for reading :)

Meek_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1134-9016-5234
mm. then watching lots of matches actually would help too, obviously

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings

Shears

Smash Master
No actually thats what I did to learn the game. I just played it out mentally. Until the past 6 months, I either didn't own the game or only played at tournaments which was just a couple times a year. The rest of the time I would just think about the game and matchups and what to do to approach or edgeguard. You can sit on the console and practice bad habits against players or CPUs or you can brainstorm how to get better.

Sedda

Smash Champion
try to get a wired connection and play online. it's really tough to improve if you dont know what youre bad at.

you could practice movement and combos though

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
No actually thats what I did to learn the game. I just played it out mentally. Until the past 6 months, I either didn't own the game or only played at tournaments which was just a couple times a year. The rest of the time I would just think about the game and matchups and what to do to approach or edgeguard. You can sit on the console and practice bad habits against players or CPUs or you can brainstorm how to get better.
thinking about beating mike tyson in punchout =/= training to beat mike tyson in punchout

also if you have ****ty wifi just get an ethernet cable

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
The game is all mental. Just play out matches in your head and you'll be fine.
thats fine and all but i would still practice. there's no practicing tech skill in your head. Depending on the characters you play i would work on some character specific tech until you can do that tech with ease. For instance if you play mario try to do sh dair->uair in practice mode till its comfortable. then move on to dair->uair on a dummy in practice mode (timing of the aerials changes when the dair hits are hitting an opponent). Then once that feels natural move on to practicing this tech against a cpu. The final and hardest step is to use this against a human opponent. This process can be repeated for a lot of different characters/techniques. You can practice the first 3 steps by yourself until you have a human opponent to play against.

Just make sure when you are playing the cpu's you are playing with the intentions of practicing/implementing different techniques rather than playing with the objective to win. If you are in a mind set of trying to beat the cpu you will develop habbits that will improve your ability to beat the cpu, but hinder your ability to beat a human player

caneut

Smash Ace
The game is all mental. Just play out matches in your head and you'll be fine.

Maining pika folks.

Meek_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1134-9016-5234
ive played like one match in like an hour and a half and not because of lag either lol, this is painful

e: played about 20 since and had a blast, i miiiiiiight have gotten a tiny bit faster. maybe.

Last edited:

Beesy

Smash Apprentice
We're walking the same path. I'm the only competitive player in my city, and the nearest other guys are 3 hours away. The middle of Texas isn't an easy place to improve in Smash. I watched loads of videos, and practiced my tech skill in training mode.
Do that.

My neutral game was awful, but after getting some experience playing some people at Apex, I've been improving that too.
If you want to message me any time, feel free. Solo-Smash is a hard knock life bro. Best wishes.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Shadow boxing is a thing guys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowboxing

>The main purpose of this exercise, apart from getting the muscles ready for another activity, is usually to maintain a fighter's rhythm and show the fighter how they would look at that stage of training against a certain opponent. This could be important as fighters envision themselves facing their immediate future opponents: it usually gives fighters an idea of what is, and what is not, to be fixed.

Hell, didn't Dr. PP win Apex with minimal exposure to any main events?

Practicing tech skills while watching/studying videos should help out quite a bit. Try looking for some local play you can join so you can put it into practice. GL

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
look up hitboxes, learn all the characters and switch to a different one if you stop improving with one. read everything you can about advanced techniques and practice them, especially z-cancelling and teching. find friends who want to get better too and play against them at least a few times a month. experiment with what is possible on the controller, and read through the 'simple things you may not know' thread for tips. practice fluid platform movement on dreamland with all the characters, learning how each one can use different techniques and jumps to most efficiently navigate bottom to top, bottom to side & side to top. (luigi's up + b or full neutral jump will get you bottom to top nicely, for example). don't forget about shorthops, instant double jumps, stick jumps and neutral vs. sideways jumps as options. practice all your platform movement and z-cancelled aerials between stocks, and play vs. a cpu level 9 to practice combos rather than to win, like someone said above. also in general take items off, use 'a' a lot more than 'b', rarely use shield or roll and when you get crushed in a tournament ask for advice about what areas of your game need improvement. training mode for combo practice, cpu 9 dk for combo implementation. worked ok so far for me anyways that's about how i improved.

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Beat 1 level 9 Mario without dying, with a decent amount of stocks, 7-10.
Then beat level 9 Mario and a Level 9 luigi (on a team, Team Attack *OFF*) wihtout dying.
I played the following for years and it works wonders:
Lvl 9s all around, TA OFF, Mario, Luigi, Mario, 3v1.
Put it on 99 and learn to not ever get hit, because one hit is usually death.
The reason for using the Bros is mostly that they have the fewest hangups of any CPU, i.e. samus/DK charging, etc. and dancing around/countering the fireballs is great.
People underestimate CPUs ability to teach the game.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Then beat level 9 Mario and a Level 9 luigi (on a team, Team Attack *OFF*) wihtout dying.
The reason for using the Bros is mostly that they have the fewest hangups of any CPU, i.e. samus/DK charging, etc. and dancing around/countering the fireballs is great.
CPU's are terrible! Most of the time they just ****ing SD off the stage! PLAY REAL PEOPLE to get better, ask for advice, tips.

caneut

Smash Ace
do not listen to this

Studstill

Smash Ace
Lvl 9 Mario, Lvl 9 Luigi, Lvl 9 Mario,
vs
You.
Team attack off.
7 stocks.
Please post video evidence disproving my claim that this is difficult.
The lesson you learn from this exercise is invaluable and learned the best way, by being beaten into you by an opponent with consistent behavior and perfect timing:
You become deeply familiar with your characters hitboxes, in a way that is far superior than playing in hitbox mode and 'remembering.'
Side note: I wish title could be assigned on post quality rather than quantity.

Edit:
@ Meek_ Meek_
Like @ T Technical_Knockout said, it isn`t about winning, I`d put it on 99 and just quit when you want. Stock instead of time so that you can have real-time data on kill streaks, etc.
Training mode is practice, you must be comfortable under pressure in combat situations.
Good luck! Tape some vids!

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
i think it's a great idea... i mean if nothing else it will at least train you to totally crush anyone of the 'roll and grab' variety.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Roll and grab is not so easy to avoid when there are three of them and they can`t hurt or even interact with each other.
But the point is that rolling and grabbing does teach your own characters spacing for following real opponents breakfalls.
Again, they are the perfect opponent for this purpose, teaching you how to read, by doing the same thing everytime.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
you might be startled at the things i've figured out... look through my posts on the 'simple facts you may not know' thread. if you don't learn anything at all i'll be surprised. you were new on here once too caneut--no need to act like you're a superior human being bro.

cheers. :)

Meek_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1134-9016-5234
you might be startled at the things i've figured out... look through my posts on the 'simple facts you may not know' thread. if you don't learn anything at all i'll be surprised. you were new on here once too caneut--no need to act like you're a superior human being bro.
i don't think they're (caneut) acting like they're superior. anyway, ive been in a such a bad mental state lately so i don't feel like embarassing myself through kalliera but i'm more comfortable doing that than practicing against ai. i dont think thats useful beyond familiarizing yourself with your character

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
i don't think they're (caneut) acting like they're superior. anyway, ive been in a such a bad mental state lately so i don't feel like embarassing myself through kalliera but i'm more comfortable doing that than practicing against ai. i dont think thats useful beyond familiarizing yourself with your character
There is no embarrassing yourself, go out and play! It's much better to play online than anything else.

caneut

Smash Ace

yes i was new in 2006, and in 9 years (couple years i took a break, but still regardless) i have learned that practicing against computers is a BAD idea.

look at stud. both him and me joined this community the beginning of last year (me coming back from my break) and he honestly thought he was the best player, and you know why? he fooled himself by practicing against ai's and beating everyone in his local area. then he came online and got beat by pretty much everyone, including me.

playing computers is dumb. if you want to train against them go right ahead but dont say you were not warned when ****ty tactics that work on predictable ai's doesnt work against human beings.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

it's not about being a superior human being. Practicing against AI is a legitimately really bad idea.

Lvl 9 Mario, Lvl 9 Luigi, Lvl 9 Mario,
vs
You.
Team attack off.
7 stocks.
Please post video evidence disproving my claim that this is difficult.
The lesson you learn from this exercise is invaluable and learned the best way, by being beaten into you by an opponent with consistent behavior and perfect timing:
You become deeply familiar with your characters hitboxes, in a way that is far superior than playing in hitbox mode and 'remembering.'

I wonder how much anyone can learn from this

Morin0

Smash Lord
Oh I've done this before. When I'm bored, I put 3 lvl 9 CPUs vs me, and this is probably the easiest way to do it lol. On Dream Land anyway.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Warning Received
You have got to be the dumbest ****ing guy I`ve ever met. Did you really just waste 6 minutes of your life (again, see your other dickriding stalker video that totally missed the point) making this ******** thing?
Maybe you should try not manipulating the edge programming, or trying a different attack to get back.
Fire ****ing blaster.

People: Hey Fire watch my car! I`ll give you 20$.
Fire: OK.
People: Where did it go?
Fire: I watched as some guy took it; PAY ME, IDIOT HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

**** you assclown. It`s embarrassing the circle of people this makes you look good too. Good ****ing riddance.

yes i was new in 2006, and in 9 years (couple years i took a break, but still regardless) i have learned that practicing against computers is a BAD idea.

look at stud. both him and me joined this community the beginning of last year (me coming back from my break) and he honestly thought he was the best player, and you know why? he fooled himself by practicing against ai's and beating everyone in his local area. then he came online and got beat by pretty much everyone, including me.

playing computers is dumb. if you want to train against them go right ahead but dont say you were not warned when ****ty tactics that work on predictable ai's doesnt work against human beings.
You can go **** yourself too.
You can`t beat anyone, lol, especially not me.

Man, you had better never see me in real life, kid.

You are like a child who locks a cat in a closet so it won`t run away and then you wait a week and open the door and
Fire is correct again, haha.
What a moron.

Last edited by a moderator:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Apparently there were some loose ends to tie up about being falsely called a liar and then I noticed this idiot made another video trying to make me look stupid for encouraging new players but only succeeded, with flying colors, in proving himself to be incredibly stupid again.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
ok so fireblaster I have no issue with caneut's opinion that playing against computers TO WIN is a bad way to practice... i share that point of view. i see cpu fighting as a way to practice combos & perfect the anti 'roll & grab' strats, nothing more.

my only problem was with caneut saying 'don't take advice from last place', while directly quoting me. seemed like an unprovoked, unwarranted attack. this game came out my senior year, so it's not like i'm some melee fanboy scrub or anything.

also guys chill out... come on I mean yeah it was the obvious video to make but really we all love this game & should work together to spread the word about it and continue to make it better by advancing the metagame.

quarreling about who's better and personal attacks should really be beneath us, the ambassadors for the game. also you all completely & obviously ignored the spirit of what studstill said and you really ought to apologize for antagonizing him imho.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
What the **** is going on in here

@ Meek_ Meek_ I'm so sorry you have to witness this

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
my only problem was with caneut saying 'don't take advice from last place', while directly quoting me. seemed like an unprovoked, unwarranted attack. this game came out my senior year, so it's not like i'm some melee fanboy scrub or anything.
this guy got last place i was referring too

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
oh ok sorry caneut. i was confused because you were quoting my post when you wrote that. thanks for clearing up the air there home slice.

Studstill

Smash Ace
I didn`t get last place. I didn`t even get to play because @Zeds and @stylisland ****ed me over. You are a ****head for even bringing that up.

also you all completely & obviously ignored the spirit of what studstill said and you really ought to apologize for antagonizing him imho.
Agreed. But these ****heads are more concerned with being ****heads than any actual point.
****ing good riddance.

What a ****ing embarrassment to the game.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
okay so i watched that video... studstill i understand what it's like being so frustrated and angry that i would say anything to get back at the person that was upsetting me... haven't we all been there at one point or another?

the rest of you yeah he was saying some messed-up things but take some responsibility for needling him with sarcasm until he snapped... also posting that video with that title is clearly internet bullying and i'm surprised a mod hasn't removed it yet.

i mean come on have a heart.

also way not cool for bringing up his dead father... come on just apologize all around and be bros we're all human beings here. feelings get hurt but i see no reason we can't all get along if we really try.

peace and love is where it's at dudes. :)

Studstill

Smash Ace
Wow. Thanks man. I wish there were more people here who had such a clear view of what this all is.
As that video will apparently continue to be posted on this site wihtout any moderator caring, I can only hope that people share your view upon seeing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom