• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help deciding if I should main Marth or Sheik

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
Just got into competitive Smash, still trying to learn to use wavedash in a good way and such, but I'm not sure who to main. I really like Marth's and Sheik's playstyle.

Anyone got any tips?

Keep playing both until you become clearly better, or have more fun, with 1 of them. That'll be your main

Starbuck

Smash Rookie
I agree with Epsilon, just give every character you seem like you might be interested in a chance until you start to get a good feel for each character's strength's and weaknesses and how much you enjoy the playstyle. Don't stress it too much right now.

super_zootd

Smash Rookie
Well I started playing Sheik because I could juggle my scrub friends, back when we had little to no idea of competitive smash. Then I started realizing more and more things about her, did some research, and over time fell in love with her. I feel the same way about Falcon. All her moves are sexy as **** and you can take punishes so far. For me, so much fun to play and watch (check out m2k's sheik). A lot of players call her "easy mode" or broken, but this is a load of bull. She's just less demanding technically compared to something like a spacie; the better player will win.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Play both. Have fun. Play other characters too.

Picking a main when you first pick up the game is kinda silly. You haven't learned the tech skill of the game yet, you don't know matchups, and your hands don't move very fast.

Characters that you would really like with fast skilled hands will seem impossible to use at the moment so picking who you want to play permanently at this point is silly.

It will be fairly obvious who to main after a short period.

That being said, marth vs sheik:

Marth:
-Pros:Very good vs the top 6 characters (except sheik). Good anti-spacie tools which helps since spacie players make up the largest portion of players. Solid wavedash that is easy to learn to implement into your play. Best grab game bar none. Really good at edgeguarding.
-Cons: Lower tier characters are still big threats; he has many hard matchups against characters who are much lower on the tier list (though they aren't out of his favor). Laggy moves that are easy to punish. Can't deal with projectiles well. Predictable recovery.

Sheik:
-Pros: Straight up hard counters many low tier characters and soft counters some higher tiers so you will win many games without having to try as hard as your opponents. Very good keep away game. Really good edgeguards. Arguably the easiest character to learn and do well with. Combo game is super easy. Down throw chaingrabs and tech chases are stupidly effective. Recovery is better than marth's (though still sub optimal).
-Cons: Difficult neutral game. No strong kill moves. Tough matchups vs Ice climbers and Jigglypuff. Not quite as good against spacies as marth. Dashdance sucks. Wavedash is not quite as good as marth's. Difficult to approach with on good defensive characters.

Top Bottom