• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Help Against Mario; Looking for Tips

PlasmaButt

Smash Rookie
NNID
KingOfPlasma
I'm bad against Mario. This character specifically is the one that always beats me. Whether it be a Lv. 9 CPU, a For Glory player, or a smasher at my local "arena," I can never seem to win against Mario. From what I can understand, it's all of his aerials that get me the most. The DAir almost interrupts my combos with that extra hitbox from touching the ground, the NAir also does this as well as completely interrupt my flow , and the BAir... I just can't BAir to be hit by it anymore.

So, I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips against Mario. I main Roy and have a lot of trouble against Mario with every character. I'm not exactly the best Sm4sher, but I like to be creative and not just abuse the same combos multiple times like many of the people I see. (I'm looking at you, For Glory players.) Is it best to play defensive against Mario or try my best to stay in his face? Do I try to space myself using tilts and sparing my aerials (to avoid being shield-grabbed, as well as staling) until I find an opening?

I dunno.

Last edited:

MoS03

Smash Rookie
The thing about Mario is that he's very well balanced, so he has no real weakness, and his only strength is really his combo ability. When I play a Mario, I know what tech he has available, his frame data, his recovery, and I know I'm not really playing against the character, I'm playing the player!!

Study your opponent, bait a few reactions, and then proceed from there. I've found that if I can push a Mario into only having 2-3 options, and then capitalize, they tend to try to abuse up smash, down smash, or dthrow combos. Shielding the smashes is nice, but a bit hard to follow up due to the slide you'll get. Spot dodges are generally the way to go for me against a Mario. Spot dodge and punish. Particularly effective if they are expecting a shield.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Most of Mario's viability comes from his grab combo game. If he grabs you, he can get 20-30 percent off on you for free. Your main goal should be to not get grabbed, so don't shield to much or use laggy moves. Mario has poor range, so any character who has Attacks with good distance(Roy, Marth, Shulk, exc.) can easily space him.

Top Bottom