• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help against CF

PetaNybble

Smash Cadet
the thing is, I can beat him fine, but when I get around 90-120%, he does a up or i think forward grab, not sure, and could immediately follow it by a f-smash, which I cannot survive. I can't find any way of DI'ing from the grab nor could I do anything, because I'm stunned. So really, I can't survive past 90% if he grabs me..any help? The thing I have so far is not getting grabbed by him.. or is there some other way to dodge his follow up f-smash that I over looked?

PetaNybble

Smash Cadet
i don't think jumping up works. or that di'ing in the same direction as you're flying works either

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Wow, is it really inescapable? I always thought fighting CF was a piece of cake. Well I hardly get to play CFs so I haven't had any experience with that throw combo.

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
Thats not really going to be a problem if you dont get grabbed. I dont think CFs grab has very good range and it can easily be avoided by SHLing. But if he shield grabs you then you will be in trouble. But the things thats really going to be a problem later is when you get hit by a Dair into a knee. Now THATS inescapable since you cant DI a dair and it stuns you long enough for a knee. And they both come out alot quicker. All you have to do with CF is get him off the ledge with an Fsmash or whatever and its easy ledge guarding from there.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Di away from him, or toward your back.

you go alot further forward, and he can still tech chaseinto a knee or something but its harder than a guaranteed knee for sure for him

xelad1

Smash Ace
you can DI out of it but like people have said evade grabs... also sometimes you can't help getting killed at certain percentages but just play falcos big strengths against captain falcon... shl keeps him fairly grounded and falco can also combo CF pretty darn well... cf isn't really considered a problem match up for falco, you can't nitpick every time you get killed, you won't get killed as much if you retain control of the fight.... its like saying "oh fox can chaingrab and shinespike me this is hopeless" forgetting that falco can also combo fox from 0 till death... just play up your arsenal of abilities.. shine combos shl, dair and remember falco may have a bad recovery but captain falcons isn't too stellar either.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
That combo shouldn't work as long as you DI. Of course it's hard to DI but there are times you know you are going to be grabbed and you should definitely DI. RagingAsian I am pretty sure you can't smash DI out of throws. SHL helps but sometimes you can find yourself kneed out of it. Yea avoid grabs. But infinitegtx it's not that easy to avoid grabs......Cfalcon is very fast and he is good at grabbing. I suggest you prevent it by never sitting there doing nothing. So either SHL, attack, or grab. Infinitegtx you also said shield grabbing might be a problem, but really that shouldn't be the time you are grabbed since you can pillar. Maybe after you miss that fsmash :-O (don't throw too many out). Nairs and bairs work for getting him off. Maybe instead of trying another dair to shine finish the combo by nairing him off once you have some damage built up. Once you get him off either dsmash, dair, or edgehog to ledgehopped bair/dair. Well that's all i can think of right now. Hope it helps :).

Scud

Smash Apprentice
I am not even for sure you can ASDI throws. I thought that was only when there was hitlag. Either way regular DI seems to be the most important when being thrown.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
There is no smash DI, nor automatic smash DI during throws.

As for Falcon's u-throw to smash.... That isn't inescapable. You can DI up and towards him, which completely will throw off his timing and make it difficult for him to decide which direction to smash. You can generally shine him when DIing this way. If you DI away, he also cannot f-smash you.

He can knee you at any time like this though. If you get grabbed at 85-90% against CF, you are dead unless he screws up. Period.

One thing you could do is, upon knowing you are at that %, spam lasers so that he has to advance from the air. When he does this, run at him with an aerial so that one or both of you will be hit. Eventually, you will take enough damage to where he cannot throw combo you effectively. Dangerous, but if that's your big problem, go for it.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
So when you DI on your way up (if thrown up) is that just considered normal DI?

Smeggy

Smash Rookie
If you DI away, he shouldn't be able to F-smash you, but can still chase your tech. Watch out at higher %s though, I think you might eat a knee even if you DI.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
One thing you could do is, upon knowing you are at that %, spam lasers so that he has to advance from the air. When he does this, run at him with an aerial so that one or both of you will be hit. Eventually, you will take enough damage to where he cannot throw combo you effectively. Dangerous, but if that's your big problem, go for it.
The higher the %, the easier it is to throw combo a Space Animal into a knee.

But the things thats really going to be a problem later is when you get hit by a Dair into a knee. Now THATS inescapable since you cant DI a dair and it stuns you long enough for a knee. And they both come out alot quicker. All you have to do with CF is get him off the ledge with an Fsmash or whatever and its easy ledge guarding from there.
Dairs can be DIed left or right. Tried Dairing a lvl 9 lately?

Falco ***** Falcon like nuts though. Just remain unpredictable with your teching so he can't tech chase you and grab you. Make sure you laser a ton. Combo Falcon to oblivion. If he starts shielding lasers, grab him. Ehh this is general Falco vs Falcon strategy, just don't get grabbed, that's about it.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
throws cant be ASDIed unless it's like a hit... like peach's fthrow. and maybe jigg's fthrow? but i think thats it

as a falco, you should get used to the fact that grabs often cause massive damage or death. so really learn not to get grabbed.

radical00edward

Smash Journeyman
CF isnt all that hard.. just make sure not to be grabbed.. mainly try to throw him off a ledg and spike.. keep him on his toes and he wont have a chance to grab

PetaNybble

Smash Cadet
hmm, right now i do try to avoid grabs by distancing him using shffled nairs and shl... and i find that he dmg me PAST 120, he has a hard time killing me until 150. So it's just the 90-120 that's difficult

Vall3y

Smash Lord
DI away and you shouldn't get fsmashed out of uthrows
only DI backwards or no DI allow him that
though he can still tech chase you after

just a small few grabs allow smash di and asdi.
jigg's fthrow i think and falco's uthrow kinda (because of the blasters, lol.)

audreyh

Smash Ace
im a falcon player

DI away. =p

the only time its a sure inescapable death is a uthrow around 120% or so when he can knee you following every DI

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
hmm, right now i do try to avoid grabs by distancing him using shffled nairs and shl... and i find that he dmg me PAST 120, he has a hard time killing me until 150. So it's just the 90-120 that's difficult
don't expect to live this long with falco. You're lucky to get past 80 or so with the blue bird, so the 90-120 range is just a bonus anyway. It sucks, but you should worry much more about what you're doing to let yourself get hit that much, than the eventual kill combo.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
i never thought of DI'ing towards him. it'll completely throw off his knee. i'll try dat, but i still have trouble with his speed

Top Bottom