• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need constructive criticism (Video Included)

Fireblaze008

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiCEY_4xhBI&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K67-cW1TWiw&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0Dx9_9Z0w&feature=user

I started off well in this best 2 out of 3 set but then it all went downhill. I attribute some of it to that I just play better on FD than any other map but still I shouldn't be getting owned that badly. What did I do wrong? Right? And what does this Marth player seem to do a lot of? I'll be playing him on a regular basis so I could use some tips to beat him.

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
One thing I think would help your game in general would be ledgehopping. Especially against Marth, you don't want to get predictable in what you're doing when you're hanging on the ledge, because, as you can see, it hurts.

Against Marth, specifically: You've got three and a half projectiles, to his half. You'd do better to keep some distance. There were many instances where you rolled towards him, when you might have been better going outwards and regrouping. You should always have something moving in the air somewhere. Anything you throw out there blocks off one way he has to approach, and the less options he has, the better you can defend against him.

Not saying that you shouldn't follow up when you get a good hit in, but the long-range game can only benefit you. The majority of the match, you were the one approaching him instead of the other way around.

Oh, and on the first stock in game 2, you might have been able to recover if you had pulled a bomb as you were flying out, and let it blow up on you after your up+b, to get another one. It's hard to think to do it when you're busy trying not to die, though.

Your mortar slides looked good, though. Just against Marth, I wouldn't want to get any closer to that sword than I had to.

Fireblaze008

Smash Rookie
One thing I think would help your game in general would be ledgehopping. Especially against Marth, you don't want to get predictable in what you're doing when you're hanging on the ledge, because, as you can see, it hurts.

Against Marth, specifically: You've got three and a half projectiles, to his half. You'd do better to keep some distance. There were many instances where you rolled towards him, when you might have been better going outwards and regrouping. You should always have something moving in the air somewhere. Anything you throw out there blocks off one way he has to approach, and the less options he has, the better you can defend against him.

Not saying that you shouldn't follow up when you get a good hit in, but the long-range game can only benefit you. The majority of the match, you were the one approaching him instead of the other way around.

Oh, and on the first stock in game 2, you might have been able to recover if you had pulled a bomb as you were flying out, and let it blow up on you after your up+b, to get another one. It's hard to think to do it when you're busy trying not to die, though.

Your mortar slides looked good, though. Just against Marth, I wouldn't want to get any closer to that sword than I had to.
Yeah thanks for those tips. I really don't like being a defensive player though. I like to be up in people's faces most of the time. Also, I'm afraid to over-do the projectiles because people might say I only won cuz of spam or something. I know that's silly but I need to work on it. Just yesterday I was getting owned by this Captain Falcon and on the last stock I didn't apporach him at all and came back to win it by a lot. He barely touched me. IMO my biggest problem is fear of being labeled as a spammer and so I always try to apporach instead of just sitting back.

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like being a defensive player though. I like to be up in people's faces most of the time. Also, I'm afraid to over-do the projectiles because people might say I only won cuz of spam or something.
1) Link is pretty definitive of what a defensive character is.

2) Win any way you can. Period. There are a lot of people out there who just aren't good sports and will whine about anything to try and get their way.

3) Many characters (i.e. Pit) press one button to use one, rapid fire, reach across the whole stage attack over and over again. Link, however, uses three attacks, none of which have the same trajectory, none of which come out particularly fast, and none of which can be used back to back over and over again. Using Link's projectiles is equivalent to most characters using their standard approach. Needless to say, to effectively space and use Link's projectiles effectively takes a lot of thought and skill compared to most other characters with a single projectile.

Fireblaze008

Smash Rookie
Yeah like i said, it's silly for me to think like that. I really need to get that out of my head. I've been using Link since this game came out so I won't be changing any time soon. I'll try to be way more defensive the next matches I play and we'll see how it goes. Any things you noticed from the videos?

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Well, I think that you should use the Zair more versus Marth, hitting him with the Fair probably will get you hit. Umm, definitely mix up how you get back from the ledge. maybe watch the video that Izaw made. I think you did to mix up your moves more, and use the jab cancel. Also, try killing with the dsmash, fsmash, or utilt, rather than the usmash. I dunno, you are a pretty solid player, i just think you were getting really predictable

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Egh, well if you want to out melee people with Link, good luck, i hope you start using jab cancels and the Zair, try using everything that is in Izaw's video.

Fireblaze008

Smash Rookie
I won't be trying to out melee people lol. Like i said starting today I won't even be approaching people. But thanks for your tips. I usually never rely on my Usmash to kill but he kept rolling inside of me so I thought it was best to use that.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
If you're playing against a roll spammer.. d-smash a lot. It's a way better kill move than the u-smash and it's both an offensive and defensive move.
U-smash isn't much of an offensive move since it takes a while to kill with it, so it should be used mainly as a defensive option, especially out of shield.
But since there's no shieldstun and dropping the shield is really fast in this game, you can just shield/perfect shield into d-smash which is just as good, if not better than u-smash out of shield.

If you're playing against Marth, you're really in no position to be purely on the offensive. Most of his moves are faster and have more range than any of Link's moves. Link has 3 great projectiles, so use them. You should grab Marth a lot, but don't miss... and spam z-air.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
he did grab him a lot, I think you grabbed him too much, he had a really high percent of damage, if you would have done anything that would have knocked him away from the stage, you could have edgehogged with your tether recovery

Legan

Smash Lord

This post covered pretty much everything you need to work on. You're one of the more smarter link players that I have played against. The key things you should keep in mind is what drab said about blocking off your opponents approach options with projectiles and not rolling towards your opponents.

Fireblaze008

Smash Rookie
This post covered pretty much everything you need to work on. You're one of the more smarter link players that I have played against. The key things you should keep in mind is what drab said about blocking off your opponents approach options with projectiles and not rolling towards your opponents.
Thanks Legan. I've been working on not being so aggressive and it's been working well so far. I got accused of spamming already but I don't care. They expect me to always be coming at them so they just stand there. I just keep my distance now and barrage them with projectiles.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
I think you did better the first game because you had more confidence in yourself. The last two games showed you were more cautious and intimidated; you didn't use the Zair at all, you weren't really playing any mindgames to throw him off. You played a smash heavy approach, or else waited for him to come.

I liked your use of the boost smashing in a few instances. Also, you had very good use of the Fair and its second hit. Since you perform it so well, however, it's less good of a kill move. if you can re-power your Fair somehow throw use of other moves first before landing the last, you have a very solid kill option.

Finally, FD is a good overall map for Link. Battlefield is decent with the size of the stage and platforms, but Smashville is just neutral. Link used to greatly benefit from platforms in Melee because of hit-stuns, combos, and whatnot. Brawl Link can't take do any of those things really, and so those platforms only serve the purpose of up-tilts/up-smash (positive) and interfering with your projectile game massively (negative). Keep that in mind that you have to change Link's projectile game relative to the platforms.

Ark098

Smash Cadet
yeah the guys above said it, you have a pretty mean link man! Zair is always fun to watch imo =D and maybe some DI work? if you can drill it into yourself to mash a direction perpendicular to your trajectory and air dodge you might stay in the game longer? important for links oh so amazing recovery. dunno. keep it up

-and lol, marth has stats oozing from every opening in his body. if a marth player ever did complain that being link and spamming projectiles is cheap then they need to go and shoot themselves. no offense to your friend.

Top Bottom