• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Advice- Small Tournament At My College Coming Up

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
So apparently there's some sort of brawl tournament happening on the 22nd at my community college. I don't know many details about it, such as the rules that they are going to be using. (Worst case) for all I know items could be on, any stage could be allowed, etc.

The event is probably going to be fairly small. I think it only runs for an hour and a half or so. I'm not expecting very stiff competition. I'll assume that the levels of skill will either be little experience, capable, and maybe some good players (with/without trying to play at the current metagame). I don't really know the brawl metagame, almost all my knowledge for competitive smash is for Melee

I used to play lots of brawl a VERY long time ago, I have played almost zero brawl in many months, but I figured I might as well give it a shot (I prefer Melee). What I need advice on is choosing which character to use. I would prefer a character that is pretty accessible and can be used to have good results without a ton of practice. Let me know which character you think would be a good option. Currently I'm considering Olimar and Meta Knight.
Thanks.​

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Don't, they're pretty rough to use on this tournament.
You should use someone that can space well and has a great number of possibilities depending on the opposing character as well as the situation they're in.

You should pick Jigglypuff. She's definitively the ideal one for this tournament.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
They're accessible and provide good results compared to other characters at lower levels

That amazing strategy I included is made by smash-guru Gimpyfish.

He knows what's up

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
_SSJ4_KiRBY_YOLOSWAG69_ answer: Jigglypuff
Real answer: Meat knight

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
Desu~ said:
You should pick Jigglypuff.
I do like puff in melee, but I doubt I'll choose her in brawl considering how she just isn't at the same caliber as her melee version.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
For a fast easy pickup in Brawl. I'd highly recommend Mr. G&W. He's one of the easiest characters to learn with his one-dimensional play style and he can easily powerhouse through people who aren't fully competitive at the game regardless if its a 1v1, 2v2, or Free For All.

His smash attacks are incredibly strong and fast, his Recovery move has invincibility frames and you can literally just spam Key (Aerial Down A) to Parachute (Up B), over and over again. You also have high priority/long reaching attacks like his turtle (Aerial Back A) and his fishbowl (Aerial Neutral A). Any grabs should always be thrown downwards as it can lead to an easy downsmash combo if they don't tech it, or you could simply read their roll and hit them with an upsmash.

Once you fight competitive players they can shut down Mr. G&W incredibly easy if they know how to handle him properly, but at lower levels of play he's an unstoppable force, I'd say even more-so than Metaknight.

Top Bottom