• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need advice for upcoming tourney

-619-

Smash Cadet
So me and my friends are having a tournament this weekend for melee. None of us play competitively so its not too intense I guess. My main concern is that most of the people I play with totally abuse and rely on shield rolling. So I know I'm probably asking a noob question but what's the best way to abuse shield rollers? Please don't hate on me for asking I just want to know and I couldn't find any help google searching it. Thanks

:phone:

-619-

Smash Cadet
I forgot to mention I don't use fox or falco sorry. I usually use marth or sheik because from what I've looked up online they seem pretty solid and everyone around here uses the starfox characters so I wanted to stand out haha

Terry

Smash Ace
Shield rolling is easy to punish when you know they are going to roll. Just keep track of when they try to roll away, predict their next roll and punish.

Also, if you don't, you and your friends should consider coming to some bigger tournaments. They're really fun and a good way to get better.

-619-

Smash Cadet
Shield rolling is easy to punish when you know they are going to roll. Just keep track of when they try to roll away, predict their next roll and punish.

Also, if you don't, you and your friends should consider coming to some bigger tournaments. They're really fun and a good way to get better.
I really want to go to some bigger tourneys. Looking for some in my area or at least more ppl to play with but sc isn't really booming with activity. Also thx for the advice.

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
I think there are certain areas you can look for which will subconsciously make your opponent roll more, such as being at the edge. If he shields, he really only has the option to either jump out of it to try and get away, or roll. (there are more, but in tight situations these will be the most common ones)

If he has a tendency to ALWAYS roll out of shield, just don't do anything. Wait for him to pick up his shield, and wait for the roll. Just make sure to pay attention to his character and react quickly. It will feel natural after a few tries, I'm sure.

-619-

Smash Cadet
Alright awesome for the advice. Its just aggravating when I study l canceling wave dashing shffling etc etc and everytime I play my friends it all comes down to a slow boring game due to roll dodge spamming. Ill practice with the advice you all gave me and hopefully they won't spam it anymore

Peaquak

Smash Rookie
I don't play tournies or anything serious but what I try to do if I play against a roll spammer is dash dance approach to a grab mixed with an empty dash dance just waiting for the roll chase.

Also try empty short hop approaches that make them shield and roll.

I play Cpt Falcon so it works well for me. You said you play shiek and marth which both are pretty quick so it should work decently for you as well.

If someone more skilled has any objections please feel to input as I play friendlies only.

Massive

Smash Champion
Sheik's downsmash has a long hitbox that can trap people who roll/dodge a lot.

Also, if they shield too frequently/superfluously, use Marth's shield breaker and ruin their day.

-619-

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice everyone. Me and my friend played today and I was able to either down smash or grab him out his rolls a lot. Appreciate all the tips

erbanez

Smash Apprentice
If they tend to roll towards/through you, try throwing a move behind you. For example, if you're Marth and they put their shield up, just forward smash behind you once in a while. Since they're so expectant that they dodged something, it catches them off guard nicely. If they tend to roll away, charge in and grab them.

crush

Smash Master
grab them, if you miss and they roll away, run up and attempt to grab them again, if it fails, try again.

and when youre marth, f smash a lot

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
My favorite thing to do is as soon as you die and have your invinciblity run up to them and couch and say. "which way you rolling?" they'll usually try to roll behind you. Fsmash them. Works every time.

Top Bottom