• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Necessary changes to playstyle against floaties?

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
It seems that I always have a more difficult time against floaties while playing Mario. A lot of the damage Mario puts out is based on short combos into a quick smash and his kills are either quick edgeguards, a d-throw into a fair or a fast f-smash or d-smash. I get a lot of damage off of d-throws followed by an u-smash or maybe two. This works on fast fallers (with an u-throw) and characters with regular fall speed, but not floaties. Another thing that doesn't work on floaties 90% of the time is d-throw into a fair. If they're at a percentage where the fair would kill, then the d-throw will send them far enough that even a full hop fair won't connect because they're too high up. D-throw into a dair and uair is good for getting damage, but doesn't get as much damage as I'd like. What changes do you make to your playstyle when playing against floaties to get extra damage in with those short combos and what kill moves/strings do you use against them?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Depends on which floaty and the stage. Be more specific.

Last edited:

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
I'll preface this by clarifying that I'm not a Mario player, but I still think I can point you in the right direction when facing floaties in general.

A lot of times you will not be able to reach floaties before their hitstun ends. However you can typically reach them very shortly after they get out of hitstun. So what are their options if you are near them? They can use a quick aerial if you are in range, they can jump, or they can jump -> air dodge. It's important to note that very few players utilize the last of those options. You can typically cover all of these options but one.

So like when facing Zard for example, you want to directly below him since he can't put a hitbox out below him very quickly. If you are worried about him second jumping away (the most common option chosen by people trying to escape combos), then you have a couple options:
-You can use a low endlag aerial and conserve your second jump so you can follow them when they dodge this (note, this is not effective if they have notably more air mobility than you, however you can sometimes mitigate the air mobility advantage to a degree since you can come in with momentum from your ground speed).
-You can approach with an aerial that will rise past where he currently is so that you cover the possibility of a second jump. It's important to note that if they have a second jump and choose second jump -> air dodge down -> fast fall, a rising aerial could cost you the ability to get down quickly enough to punish the air dodge landing lag. If they actually choose that option sometimes, you're gonna have to mix it up and settle with a 50/50.

To give you another idea of how to deal with their aerials, against Mario I approach him from the front as he exits hitstun, since his fair is slow and his nair has low range (and his fireballs get eaten by aerials).

There are other options as well. For example, both Zard and Marth (and most characters, actually) are pretty unsafe on shield if they land anywhere near you. So if you decide to not go for the juggle like above, or feel you will not have enough frame advantage, then you can instead stay on the ground and try to force them to land uncomfortably close to you. Pull up a shield when they get near and punish OoS. Platforms make this harder, but not impossible. Waveland onto platforms shortly before you need to (if you commit early, they can try to take advantage of your now limited horizontal mobility to land farther away from you... also they can aerial your shield and fall past the platform if they you are close to a platform ledge and they are on the correct side of you (the side nearest the ledge)).

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Let's start with Zelda then. And FD. I'm trying to get a game plan without having to rely on platforms.
Why would you play without them? FD is the only stage w/o and it is one of her better stages. Zelda isn't that great with platforms. Ban the stage...?
Just bait her moves out and punish her. Mid/close range is a good place to be. Don't rely on fireballs here. Nair her dins fires everytime they are in your way. When she is off stage, she will ether up b into you or to the ledge. Dthrow>uair/dair work well for combos. Dtilt to fair might work. If not, try nair. A spaced fsmash can also end her.

Last edited:

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
I'm not saying I'm not using platforms, but there are scenarios where there isn't a platform to be used in the specific spot you are. Is that better?

GeZ

Smash Lord
While Mario definitely needs to change the way he plays against floaties, this thing you said earlier
A lot of the damage Mario puts out is based on short combos into a quick smash and his kills are either quick edgeguards, a d-throw into a fair or a fast f-smash or d-smash.
is wrong. Ideally Mario is comboing or applying pressure to lead to further comboing until you kill your opponent. It's a misconception that he relies on short, tight, attack strings.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I'm not saying I'm not using platforms, but there are scenarios where there isn't a platform to be used in the specific spot you are. Is that better?
No
B/c they are always close by.

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
While Mario definitely needs to change the way he plays against floaties, this thing you said earlier is wrong. Ideally Mario is comboing or applying pressure to lead to further comboing until you kill your opponent. It's a misconception that he relies on short, tight, attack strings.
Well then that makes it an even bigger difficulty when going against floaties.

No
B/c they are always close by.
No they're not. And floaties can avoid platforms just as much as a Mario can gravitate towards them

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
honestly I just upair and bair them until they're at kill% and throw fireballs until they get hit by one which is a free dsmash/fsmash lol. Also bthrow kills.

sometimes just throwing out random fairs will get you kills, especially if you read a tech or a roll.

Also l2edgeguard. A character like Zelda is reeeeally easy to edgeguard for example. Some are less so, like Samus etc. but try to learn their recovery patterns and throw out sneaky bairs.

also I would 100% of the time ban FD against Zelda lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom