• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neat little Mechanic for Bowser.

Volimutt

Smash Cadet
NNID
CapnDonutBear
3DS FC
3840-8943-0914
Sooooo umm, I was messing around with Bowser in the lab and i stumbled upon a neat little trick. Not sure anyone found this out yet.

If you jab once then flick the circle pad/control stick Bowser will dash in place moving either no distance or a very very very short distance if hadn't noticed it. Prior to this in place you have a somewhat big window to do a list of actions.

Jab once then flick in the direction you're face and do the following below:

Press A for a delayed dash attack

Press L for a grab which makes Bowser jump forward for the grab.

Perform a pivot grab and he'll do it in place

(For this one do not flick the pad/stick) Simply jump after your first or second jab(short or full hop. Doesn't matter). Bowser will do this mini wavedash like action making him slide backwards. Not sure how useful this will be but I just found that just now. Who knows? I see no use for this with his specials but I'll looking in this more~ I've actually put the first 3 to good use in actual fights. I see this as good way for Bowser players to play mind games with the opponent, bait rolls, mislead, their reads, etc. Here's a quick little video demonstrating how it's done. Lemme know what ya think and if ya find something new from this. I don't quite have a name for this yet, but toss me ideas~ :]

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
This is known, but there wasn't any video of it until now as far as I'm aware. Thanks for taking the time to record the footage.

MrEh

Smash Hero
This is due to the weird momentum that you get from Bowser's Jab 1. Other funny stuff you can do is jab 1 and then walk backwards.

We don't have a name for it. We just call it "that weird Jab 1 momentum thing" or variations thereof. Honestly, doesn't really need a name.

Last edited:

Volimutt

Smash Cadet
NNID
CapnDonutBear
3DS FC
3840-8943-0914
Found out if you flick down and keep jabbing with precise timing he'll do a jab reset type thing. But timed wrong and you'll just do a D-tilt.

soonk

Smash Cadet
Thought this was pretty interesting so looked into it a bit. You can do this after both jabs, as well, not just the first one. It looks like you can try the same thing after tilts and specials, but he takes a very small step forward (although it seems to be a shorter dash than you could ever do manually). I'm guessing this has something to do with the game's input buffer window and the characters shortest possible dash distance; Charizard can do the exact same thing. Cool find!

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
While the delayed dash attack and pivot grab are cool, I guess, the real functionality I'm seeing here is in that dash grab, as well as that slide you were getting towards the end with the jab into short hop. That small slide might have some pretty good use with fair, or even SHADC. A retreating fair out of that jab slide will allow us to have some better defensive presence. I'll lab with this a bit to look into some real functionality with it.

Also, I'm calling it a jab slide, because simple names are best names.

Last edited:

Volimutt

Smash Cadet
NNID
CapnDonutBear
3DS FC
3840-8943-0914
While the delayed dash attack and pivot grab are cool, I guess, the real functionality I'm seeing here is in that dash grab, as well as that slide you were getting towards the end with the jab into short hop. That small slide might have some pretty good use with fair, or even SHADC. A retreating fair out of that jab slide will allow us to have some better defensive presence. I'll lab with this a bit to look into some real functionality with it.

Also, I'm calling it a jab slide, because simple names are best names.
Glad to know. Let me know what ya come up with. I lab with Bowser at least bi-weekly. The big guy needs all the extra help he can get.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Glad to know. Let me know what ya come up with. I lab with Bowser at least bi-weekly. The big guy needs all the extra help he can get.
Fair is super uninteresting. The SHADC is interesting. The issue is the movement is minimal, that it's just really hard to come up with practical uses for. However, as I mentioned earlier, the dash grab does get some great use, but that's pretty much it. This is not a game-changing tech for the Bowz, but it's good for the super occasional defensive mix-up.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Good find. I dunno if this counts. (And I feel like it was already discovered) But I did find out that if you do an Aerial Side-B and you land or whiff the command grab very close to the ground, Bowser will land with very little landing lag.

I did randomly find this when I was training mode, and he can do anything out of that too. (Jab, Grab, Side-B, etc.)

I hope this is some decent tech for Bowser.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Yeah, the Klaw auto-cancels. It's at any height of the aerial klaw too.

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
This is due to the weird momentum that you get from Bowser's Jab 1. Other funny stuff you can do is jab 1 and then walk backwards.

We don't have a name for it. We just call it "that weird Jab 1 momentum thing" or variations thereof. Honestly, doesn't really need a name.
Whoa, how is that done?

MrEh

Smash Hero
You just Jab 1 and then hold backwards? It's pretty noticeable.

Alternatively, you can do very very delayed Jab 2s, and Bowser will slide backwards as well.

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
You just Jab 1 and then hold backwards? It's pretty noticeable.

Alternatively, you can do very very delayed Jab 2s, and Bowser will slide backwards as well.
Ah that, but it's really minuscule to do anything. I was hoping for some more hitbox management magic haha.

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
While I did already know about jab1 to run, that backwards walk has more significance than I thought.

I thought I'd add this here as I just discovered this as I was labbing:
I believe Pivot grab's slide distance is dependent on the length of delay in inputs between back and grab.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
While I did already know about jab1 to run, that backwards walk has more significance than I thought.
The walk is most certainly significant. That little boost in speed is pretty disorienting, and considering you get all of your actions from walk, it's definitely nice to have. It's important to remember any mobility tricks we have when we aren't being spoiled by glorious Dash Slash. I think of all the uses for this tech, this is by far the most useful, which still isn't saying much.

Top Bottom