• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC: Read This

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
So, who's tired of being whupped by OOS? Do any of you guys like going to tournaments where OOS attend and then enjoy feeling like you're terrible(which you're NOT) when you get knocked out early? Since I'm sure that is the case with pretty much all of us(myself included) don't enjoy that at all, then this is be relevant to you:

I realize that we are mad chill and like to have fun, and I respect that, but the other side of the game is the competitive, proving one's abilities side. I feel like this more-serious element of the game is thrown to the wayside by several smashers here...or they just give up on being competitive time and time again when things don't have to be that way. I feel like most, if not all of NC's smashers can attain a level that is at least one step higher than what they are on now(including LoZR and I) with the proper mindset/guidance. There is nothing wrong with wanting to improve one's abilities, and if you have the motivation, then you can be good(even without loads of free time). Disclaimer: I think some/most of you are motivated well enough, but need to be exposed to more thought-provoking material(such as intricacies of stage positioning) to be shaped into better/great players.

To get towards my point: I believe this is not so much an attitude problem(we one of the most active states around without a doubt, so enthusiasm is not an issue), but a problem that is due to not being shown/taught properly. I am willing to take the blame for a larger portion of difficulties players have been experiencing, as I have not been overly helpful towards everyone who has asked me questions or I have not done my best to explain something to its deepest extent. I feel like NC has always been about doing things their own way and not teaching each other a great deal(at least from what I have observed for the most part), and if anyone could offer valuable knowledge to a bro that could use his help that would be too good.

So, here's the point of this thread: besides emphasizing our need to not waste all of these tournaments we keep having(competitively speaking of course), I am now going to do my absolute best to answer questions and give advice to you guys when you need it. I plan on helping everyone in NC out by making more in-depth, general posts in some of our threads(anyone have a better suggestion for the presentation of this?), but beyond that I believe it is up to you to come to me with your problems or questions so that I can help you out.

A few things:

-if I can't help you out immediately, you'd better believe I'll try to find the answer to a question or a concern ASAP

-this is a more serious discussion so I'd really like to not spam this up and give me honest feedback

-this is probably going to be Melee-based for now since I understand that game wayyyyy better than Brawl(I'm sure some/most general things will apply to Brawl too)

-be critical of my methods, both in this thread and anywhere else. I want to be as profitable of a resource as I can be.

-I cannot do everything character specific, but I do know at least the basics about every character, so don't count me out on obscure knowledge until you ask(I probably know weird things lol).

Well, who's ready to put NC on the map? LoZR and I can't do this alone, bros.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Hey, Dr. PeePee.

As a suggestion, you should make a group for North Carolina smashers specifically dedicated to improving. You can make it a private group so only your state can see what's going, and so other states can't steal ideas, etc. Since the group is a little more official than posting in say, the NC Social Thread, it will probably reduce spam posts and you can neatly discuss ways to make your state better.

But good **** doing this. Now that Chops is leaving GA, we don't have much of a teacher. We certainly do have people like Sleepy and FullMetal that go out of their way to smash with you and teach you, but no one has really stepped up and made himself the official sensei.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Chops inspired me to do this moreso than I was. =p

If NC will actually use the social group somewhat frequently then I will make it(I like the idea a whole lot though). I'll leave it up to them to decide whether they would take advantage of that or not.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
This is a very good idea. I hope I still count as NC...

I think a group would be fine, but since it isn't really part of the forums, I'm afraid posting on it will be infrequent.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
wow, good stuff PP. Whilst I am no catfish but merely a sad codfish of SC I can say I definitely approve and I know NC is the **** and they can step it up like mad.

I will be cheering for some top 5 results of Pound : they better all be NC and GA (can't leave my other folk hangin :p)

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Kevin Nanney..

What a guy.

Still, for people like me, I feel like I don't improve from being told. I improve more from lots and lots annd lots of friendlies. I pretty much know EVERYTHING about my character, I just don't have the opportunity to implement it. That's honestly why I ask to play you and LOZR at every tournament I go to.

Still, seeing as I'm working all the time and am probably going to get a SECOND job, the chances won't arise much.

That and I get bored real easily when I try to practice tech skill, which is why I'm inconsistent as far as basic things go.

Nonetheless, you have my approval.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
The problem with social groups (unless they changed it), is you can't have threads. It's like one private thread so it's hard to separate different topics.
I have thought of this already. I think I could put any good points/posts into the OP or whatever the main post of a social group is called and then it could be a helpful reference for people who forget to check in at times or something.

I realize people learn differently, and that's why I'm willing to get together with different people and record stuff with them(either vs me or another player) and I can talk to them about their mistakes/habits as well.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Hey, Dr. PeePee.

As a suggestion, you should make a group for North Carolina smashers specifically dedicated to improving. You can make it a private group so only your state can see what's going, and so other states can't steal ideas, etc. Since the group is a little more official than posting in say, the NC Social Thread, it will probably reduce spam posts and you can neatly discuss ways to make your state better.

But good **** doing this. Now that Chops is leaving GA, we don't have much of a teacher. We certainly do have people like Sleepy and FullMetal that go out of their way to smash with you and teach you, but no one has really stepped up and made himself the official sensei.
If people would be willing to come to Georgia Tech Campus, I will gladly sit down and teach you how to play melee, any skill level, any questions, anything.

I wouldn't feel too bad DRPP, it's not you.

Florida is just that broken. We cheat.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
God, it'd be cool if I could learn to play good in the game. But all I need is experience. And who better to train with than with the dern best; L0zR? I live with the guy, basically. All it takes is effort and NOT get frustrated to the point of breaking controllers when I play him.

:laugh:

BBQ°

Smash Champion
If people would be willing to come to Georgia Tech Campus, I will gladly sit down and teach you how to play melee, any skill level, any questions, anything.

I wouldn't feel too bad DRPP, it's not you.

Florida is just that broken. We cheat.
I'll take you up on that. Which days are best for you? Dsam and I would love to go.

Top Bottom