• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nature of Up-B Knock Back

BrotherAddison

Smash Rookie
Jacksonville Mario main here. Recently played around with Up-B as an attack and realized that the knock back can be controlled somewhat, I've never seen this discussed and don't know how much the rest of you know about this. Taking a lower angle just below a neutral Up-B causes your opponent to be knocked back strongly behind you which can be very useful but it's finicky and hard to perform, while a neutral Up-B causes a strong knock back in front of you, though I've found that one can only do this consistently if you start the attack basically inside of your opponent (nair range). At the same time I've gotten strong knock back in both directions while recovering and not starting the attack inside my opponent so I don't really know. Also I haven't been able to get the strong behind knock back on Jiggs, I don't know what the deal is there. Now, if you take a low angle, closer to 45 degrees it'll give a weak knock back behind you, if done to none floaty characters on the ground its basically an auto punish on you, though doing it to recover is useful, sending opponents off stage. Taking the high angle, closer to 90 degrees gives a weak knock back in front of you, I haven't found a use for this, nor have I ever really found a use for that angle which is hard to perform and dangerous, which some of you probably already know.

does anyone know anything more about this?

BrotherAddison

Smash Rookie
To re-iterate

High angle = Weak forward knock back (about a character length away)
Regular angle (neutral up-B) = Strong forward knock back
Slightly horizontal angle = Strong behind knock back
Low angle = Weak behind knock back
Reverse = Weak knock back in the opposite direction of reversed Up - B

and like I said I don't know that exact inputs or angles, but exploring it intuitively has worked for me so far.

NEW Up - B TRICK

if your opponent is on the ledge and you shield and roll towards that ledge you can hit him on the ledge with an Up-B if you jump out of shield and immediately Up - B, Mario dips down just enough to catch him. Without jumping out of shield Mario doesn't dip low enough to catch em.

Cthulhu's Underling

Smash Cadet
It's likely I just don't understand you, as I just meddled around with it a bit myself, and I'm not noticing any differences. To be fair, I only toy with Mario; have yet to take him on as a serious character in my pathetic arsenal. Let's just hope someone who knows what they're doing, i.e., not me, finds this thread and clears up what's happening.

a rookie

Smash Ace
I don't think there are different up b knockbacks :/ Maybe different properties, depending on direction(reverse up b is guaranteed only one hit and consistent knockback) and close up b(is most hits, DI dependent). But who knows? Maybe I'm wrong :o But the up b oos to hit people hanging on the edge sounds funny as heck. I'm gonna try that if I ever get the chance XD

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
You are simply hitting with the other side of the hitbox. It's the same thing as reverse aerials, where they are sent in the opposite direction. It just means they were more on the back side of the hitbox than the front. Considering all the small hits have little knockback at a consistent angle, you can move more horizontally then them, so by the time the last hitbox comes out, they are behind you.

Top Bottom