• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Natsume Yuujinchou (a semi-rant on San)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Link to original post: [drupal=4779]Natsume Yuujinchou (a semi-rant on San)[/drupal]

Hey people from UB land!

(warning: (unimportant) spoilers here and there)

Lately I've been spending some time watching anime again. While browsing for things to watch (like my list of 100 isn't enough already), I bumped into an anime called Natsume Yuujinchou. It sparked my interest when I read the synopsis:

Natsume is lonely; he has an ability that separates him from others: he can see and interact with spirits. Soon, however, Natsume discovers that he’s not alone: his grandmother Reiko also had the gift. But things get hectic and possibly dangerous for Natsume when he finds out that he also inherited the 'Book of Friends', a book that contains the names of all the spirits Reiko defeated and subjugated. He finds himself hounded by his grandmother's underlings and, with the help of a 'cat' charm spirit(note: Madara), decides to free them from the Book's shackles, as well as protect the book from those who seek to misuse its power...
(personal note: he's returning everyones name)
I decided to see how many episodes it has, when I discovered it was 3 seasons long so far. That was quite discouraging, but there were only 13 episodes/season. I decided to watch it.

Making a long story short, season 1 and 2 were AMAZING. They had a great atmosphere, great characters, development within them, great conversation et cetera.

I moved on to season 3. I noticed that there was quite a time-leap between season 2 and season 3 (2009 vs 2011), but didn't find it odd in any way.
Just to catch you guys up, season 1 was completely episodic. Season 2 had two stories, one lasting through 2 episodes and the other lasting through 2/3 episodes (foreshadowing in the first, with the meat of the story in the other two).

Season 3 started with a recap, just like season 2 did. It's not thrown in your face, neither is it lacking in information, they did it just right. I noticed that the art style got brushed up, nice touch, I think to myself.
You see, the art style is really simplistic which overall fits the show. I don't really mind the "new" art style, but it was unnecessary in my opinion. Oh well, continuing...
They rounded up the first episode with a quick plot. I didn't know what it was back here, but I didn't like the feeling of the first episode. I decided to watch until episode 4. Once again I'll shorten it all for you, episode 2/3 had the same feeling, but episode 4 was different. Episode 4 felt really good.

I decided to sleep a night over the anime, and thinking back the next morning, I actually really did like episode 1-3, it's just that they changed the theme, which brings me to the first point of my semi-rant; the theme.

Theme
The theme of the first 2 seasons was loneliness. Loneliness is a great theme, but, in my opinion, a hard one to pull off. Natsume Yuujinchou NAILED it. The episodic nature of the show really helped towards the feeling of loneliness. Every episode introduced a new meeting and parting. A new life, a new past, new dreams and new conflict. It was done really well.
Season 3 changed the theme. Season 3 was more in the light of friendships. Natsume discovers that he's not alone anymore. You see, being a person being able to see youkai and getting scared by them made him get bullied in his past. He had no parents, and moved around a lot. The youkai scared him, the people bullied him. He had no real friends, except for the rare friendly youkai.
Eventually Natsume settled down with the Fujiwara's, who really love him as a son. He gets friends and meets people who share his gift (or interest therein). For example, there's a boy who can sense presences of youkai, there's a girl who's grandfather researched youkai, he meets an exorcist and stuff like that. The development/introduction of these characters is done REALLY well too.
So yeah, Natsume finally has friends and loved ones. Personally, this left me with a completely different taste in my mouth. In the end of most episodes in season 1/2, I was left with something to think about, or with a catch in the voice. Season 3 was a season which left me with a smile during every episode. However, loneliness is, to me, much more interesting than friendship.
Episode 4 of season 3 was based around loneliness. It flashed back to Natsume's past.

Continuing, there was one more thing I started to notice over the episodes. I started noticing the music more often. Though let me tell you, the music is really good. However, I felt that in season 1/2, it was more of an enhancer. The simple music, the peaceful soundtrack, pointless bickering of Madara and Natsume, it all felt so... right. It was all spot on. Which brings me to my second (though minor) point:

Music
I felt that in season 3, the music served more as a glue than a strengthener. The music had to be there to keep things together, to keep the atmosphere going. Season 1/2 was much more solid in terms of music, because it fit in with everything else, it didn't finish it, it was all a part of the natural atmosphere.
Once again, this is more of a personal preference. I 100% think that the music deserves as much spotlight as possible, it's wonderful. I personally just preferred the old way of putting things together.

All in all, season 3 was definitely really good. There's this last point which is not personal preference though, and which I just straight-out disliked. That's laziness.

Madara's transformation
You see, the formula for an average episodic episode in season 1/2 was this:
Natsume has a good day
Trouble foreshadowing
It's all cool
Things unfold
Someone (usually Madara) saves the day
It's all cool again

Now, Madara actually transforms from his cat form to his HOLY **** THIS IS AWESOME form. Now in season 3, they let Madara use an ability, a light-flash. This light flash is also enabled in his cat form, meaning that if he had to save the day, he could simply do the light-flash. This really decreased tension in the show, imo.

But yeah, all in all, I really did love Natsume Yuujinchou. I eventually took season 3 for what it is and learned to love the different theming. I could definitely recommend watching it for anyone who likes to watch an anime with a chill atmosphere, without being boring at all.

Thanks for reading, peeps ;D

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Thanks for your educated opinion, Jumpman. I love you too, and I'll give you an extra hug at the next tourney.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
It's definitely on my want to watch list.

The thing with Natsume Yuujinchou, though, was that the atmosphere and setting lend a great hand in the theme. I don't know how Neon Genesis approaches that.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I thought it was all space-robot and shiz?

In either way, the way Natsume Yuujinchou puts it is really two-faced. It's really all about the happiness of helping others, and the happiness in meeting someone, which is consequently contrasted with the sadness accompanying departure. It's not total loneliness.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
No, of course not. The robots are really just the vehicle that moves the story, nothing more.

Although there is action, it's more about the crippling personality flaws that each character deals with.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
never heard of this, gotta give this a looksie

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Anythingelse you would suggest?

:phone:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Atmospheric shows
Spice and Wolf is great if you like the middle-ages kinda theme. There's no conflict here, it's about trading and stuff. I'm watching it atm, so can't tell a lot about it yet. The soundtrack is straight-out amazing and it has an amazing atmosphere. 2 season x 13 eps @ 25 mins

Samurai Champloo has a soundtrack (by Nujabes) that makes it worth watching on it's own. It shows some amazing Japanese culture from the Edo(Tokyo) period, including Dutch communication etc. It's about a girl searching for her lost father and 2 samurai who accompany her, one being a cool and collected type and the other more of a improvisation guy. The ending is straight-out amazing. It has a great atmosphere, storyline based, with tension here and there but not every episode. 1season x 26 episodes @ 25 mins

Katanagatari really has a Japanese feel to it also. It's storyline based yet episodic. It's about a guy who knows a special martial art style, living secluded with his little sister on an island. One day a girl from the shogun asks him to help her retrieve 12 fabled swords. As you guessed, 12 episodes. 1 season, 50 mins/episode (which I found is a very nice pace). Once again, a great atmosphere and amazing soundtrack.

Hellsing (Ultimate)
Hellsing is a totally different feel from what the previous shows were. Hellsing is really mysterious and hard to explain. The soundtrack is once again completely amazing, with like 100 discs and all of those songs are just straight-out amazing. It's dark and atmospheric. I have Ultimate downloaded but haven't watched it yet, but I heard it's even better than the original (I recommend watching Ultimate. The ending for Hellsing was quite disappointing.)

Others
No. 6
I recently watched No. 6 and it BLEW MY MIND. Holy **** that show was good. It's a setting that normally doesn't really appeal to me, but it all worked out for this show. It's basically about a golden cage-like society, and the effects it has on others to sustain that existence. One of the golden caged boys falls out of the society, and feels what it is outside of the cage, and sees how it is living inside it. It has great characters, great designs, great conversation and it's the only show that ever did the boy kiss thing right. Yes, I'm putting that in italics because it's quite surprising. Note: I'm not gay at all, and I usually DESPISE the whole yaoi thing, but this was just done really really well. Good pacing too.

Phi Brain (ongoing)
I usually refrain from recommending ongoing shows (which is why you don't see Chihayafuru in the atmosphere list) but this one just deserves a mention. Great character designs, fanservice done right (I hate fanservice with all my heart), smart puzzles in the anime, great pacing and just a solid, slightly mysterious show overall. It's about a guy who goes around solving puzzles, anything more would spoil it. It's REALLY enjoyable. (ps) If you like mindgamey shows, read Liar Game or watch the live action (depending on which you like more. I've done both and preferred the manga, it's better in lots of aspects).

Kaiji (1+2)
Kaiji is story telling A+++++. That's all, really. It's just great, and most people will tell you that. It's a like or dislike thing though. Season 2 especially. I preferred season 1, it was more about smarts and mindgames. Season 2 focuses further on storytelling and despair is the main theme. Yes, despair, but the darkest form of it. Once again, good OST and if you like a good, meaty story (plus mindgames in the case of season1), watch it.

I could name some of the giants here like Fate/Zero and FMA:Brotherhood but nah, I prefer less standard/basic shows.
Enjoy my anime-profile if you'd like.
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Xonar

ps. holy **** this post turned out bigger than i'd thought it would be

LordJax

Smash Cadet
Agreed with Natsume Yuujinchou... though I think Steins;Gate did better with the loneliness theme.

LordJax

Smash Cadet
On paper, no. But if you look at the loneliness aspect itself-- you notice how Okabe is truly alone. Switching timelines all the time, and not even being sure if his 'friends' are HIS friends and not his other self's friends.

It's not done the same way in Natsume Yuujinchou, but the loneliness theme has the same vibe in both.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I can't judge since I've only seen the first 13 episode (it was too boring to really continue imo, I will at some point though), but the loneliness theme wasn't prevalent at all during the first half of the show. Then there's the fact that it's a timeline instead of being episodic.
Looking at it with the limited knowledge I have, I would say that between the two, Natsume is better. I could totally be wrong here though, but you can see my objection when comparing the two.

LordJax

Smash Cadet
I'm not claiming Steins;Gate to be better than Natsume Yuujinchou. It's true that the first 13 episodes don't feel lonely, but the rest definitely does. Then again, this is all subjective opinions.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Katanagatari really has a Japanese feel to it also. It's storyline based yet episodic. It's about a guy who knows a special martial art style, living secluded with his little sister on an island. One day a girl from the shogun asks him to help her retrieve 12 fabled swords. As you guessed, 12 episodes. 1 season, 50 mins/episode (which I found is a very nice pace). Once again, a great atmosphere and amazing soundtrack.
Episodes were released once per month to keep up with the shifting time of the anime. Therefore they had three or so weeks to prepare each episode. I thought the series was pretty good until episode six or seven. With the introduction of the last sword, the battles became less climatic and more dramatic. I wasn't really satisfied with the ending.

Brosuke said:
Phi Brain (ongoing) I usually refrain from recommending ongoing shows (which is why you don't see Chihayafuru in the atmosphere list) but this one just deserves a mention. Great character designs, fanservice done right (I hate fanservice with all my heart), smart puzzles in the anime, great pacing and just a solid, slightly mysterious show overall. It's about a guy who goes around solving puzzles, anything more would spoil it. It's REALLY enjoyable. (ps) If you like mindgamey shows, read Liar Game or watch the live action (depending on which you like more. I've done both and preferred the manga, it's better in lots of aspects).
Watched this after we talked about it. I'm glad that they didn't stretch out the heroic trauma scene for too long and I like the fact that the show remains mysterious. Although that child-friend element is ehhh.

Brosuke said:
Kaiji (1+2)
Kaiji is story telling A+++++. That's all, really. It's just great, and most people will tell you that. It's a like or dislike thing though. Season 2 especially. I preferred season 1, it was more about smarts and mindgames. Season 2 focuses further on storytelling and despair is the main theme. Yes, despair, but the darkest form of it. Once again, good OST and if you like a good, meaty story (plus mindgames in the case of season1), watch it.
The beginning of Season 1 with rock, papers, scissors was great. However the subsequent episodes failed to be as interesting. Human Derby was good. E-Card was okay. Tissue Box was lame. Not very happy with the ending tbqh. Especially with the start of Season 2 which is frankly unbelievable and turned me off from watching all of it after finishing up Season 1.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I know about Katanagatari. Personally, I liked the ending. I guess it's a like/dislike thing.

The childhood thing in Phi is pretty obvious by now...
the leader of pog (white haired spikey kid) killed kaito's parents with a puzzle then took him into custody and helped him develop puzzle-genius-level to claim gods puzzles treasure omgomgomg

Meh, with Kaiji it's more about the storytelling than what is really happening. It's more how than what, and it's something you gotta keep in mind when watching.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Spice and Wolf has no conflict?
Have you SEEN it...like...at all? :applejack:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
There's more threatening than ever takes place.

I was talking along the lines of "Don't watch this if you want knights on horsies fighting each other" because that's an idea a lot of people have regarding the middle ages.

LordJax

Smash Cadet
There's more threatening than ever takes place.

I was talking along the lines of "Don't watch this if you want knights on horsies fighting each other" because that's an idea a lot of people have regarding the middle ages.

Can't really blame them either; most anime set in middle age are random shounen battle crap.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Isn't Berserk supposed to have a setting around the Middle Ages? I assume that any time I see warring Christian factions we've got some Crusading going on which should be around the Middle Ages.

LordJax

Smash Cadet
Isn't Berserk supposed to have a setting around the Middle Ages? I assume that any time I see warring Christian factions we've got some Crusading going on which should be around the Middle Ages.
Yeah; and I believe Berserk is one of the best stories out there.

LordJax

Smash Cadet
I like those kinds of thrilling mangas. Anyone heard of Monster/20th Century Boys/Pluto?

Top Bottom