• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nana-Rocket: How to do it and why it works

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I've totally figured out why this works through observation today. Hopefully you find this piece of PEEF info useful.

The nana-rocket phenomenon is all based on the amount of time that popo has to be in front of the edge before he grabs it when coming from below or even with the edge. There is a certain amount of time that he has to be in range of the ledge to grab. This is why airdodging off the edge sometimes does and sometimes doesnt kill you. If there is enough time of you slowly falling past the ledge you will grab. This is why ICs sometimes live when this happens while Fox always dies. We fall slower, allowing this certain amount of frames to pass.

Another example: It is the same effect that you get when you drop from the ledge and jump to regrab. There is a short amount of time that you are sitting there right in front of the ledge and then you suddenly grab it. I do not know much about this phenomenon, but everyone knows basically what it is. You have to be some certain closeness to the ledge for a certain amount of frames in order to grab it from below or equal with it. I can only estimate this "frame total", and I am guessing 15 frames.

Now, here is how it works with ICs upb. The time spent DURING their upb, unlike most upbs, counts towards this "frame total". To successfully throw nana invincibly and regrab the ledge, what you are doing is sitting in front of the ledge long enough so that when you start your upb, only the first few frames of it can occur before the game recognizes you as having been in front of the ledge long enough to grab it. Because Nana comes to you, and the first few frames of the upB are spent completely stationary when you start it moving upward, if you had been sitting in within that certain proximity of the ledge (im calling it the "invisible box") for a few frames already, your upb startup lag will finish the rest of those required frames and popo will grab the ledge. However, because the first thing that popo does is throw nana (that's why he sits in place for so long) he will have already thrown her before the clock runs out and he snaps to the ledge.

In order for it to work, simply:
1:You must be in the "invisible box" of edgegrab range for a few frames already.
2:You must be moving at least slightly upwards when you belayed, causing popo to sit still in the air as he begins to toss nana.
3:You remain inside the "invisible box" the entire time as nana is thrown.
4: The "frame clock" runs out before she pulls you up, you snap to the ledge, and nana rockets upwards alone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what is the best way to do it 100% of the time?
1:Drop from the ledge and jump as if you were trying to sweetspot a doublejump.
2: Once you are 3/4 the way up, press upB. It will work every time.

This also explains weird ledge anomalies.

For example, everyone has tried to upb and had nana fail and just do nothing while popo grabs the ledge. I'm calling this a "dud-rocket". This is caused by the same phenomenon as the nana-rocket. Because Nana teleports to you instantly, all you have to do is follow the above steps but postpone your belay until right before the frame clock runs out and popo snaps to the ledge. This will cause nana to come to your arms, but because the animation that throws her didn't have time to be completed before you snap to the ledge, she will simply fall off the side or be left standing still on the edge of the stage.

On yoshis, you can do a cool little glitch where after successfully nana-rocketing her to a side platform, you can continually dud-rocket and she will teleport to you, then instead of falling off the side when you snap to the ledge, she will teleport right back to where she was standing as if nothing happened.

Now that we all have a more clear understanding of how Nana-rockets and dud-rockets work, it's time to come up with some possible uses.

Video of mine coming 2maro or Monday =]

Nintendude

Smash Hero
This is some good info, though I'm not convinced that the edge grab theory is exactly correct, or perhaps is missing something. Why can players fastfall so quickly to the edge if there's a set frame clock?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
This is some good info, though I'm not convinced that the edge grab theory is exactly correct, or perhaps is missing something. Why can players fastfall so quickly to the edge if there's a set frame clock?
Yeah, thats why I said repeatedly that this only is effected when even with or coming from slightly below the edge.

Coming from above the ledge has a different set of rules that I do not know.

GofG

Smash Champion
I would imagine if you are coming from above the edge, it simply tests to see if you are in fastfall or regular freefall. if you're in fastfall, you don't grab it, and if you're in freefall, you do grab it, as soon as you can.

smakis

Smash Ace
although you can grab the edge while fastfalling, as long as you are not holding down

Top Bottom