• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nair vs. Puff

Iffy

Smash Rookie
I've been watching competitive melee since 2013, started entering tournaments in 2015, and started playing the ol' Cap'n around May. A long time lurker on Smashboards, this is my first post. Hi! I suck at this game! :D

Introductions aside, is nair actually that bad vs. Jigglypuff? And if it is, why is it working out for me?

I play my brother (a Jigglypuff main) on a daily basis, and just about everything I know about the matchup comes from the matches that we've played. Looking to gain an edge, I decided to look into what's worked for other people and found that my approach to the matchup is a little different than most. Specifically about the use of nair. In my search, I've found that the general consensus is that nair is NOT good against Puff, though I use nair all the time and have had relative success with it.

I've found that, at least in my experience, approaching with the second hit of nair is an excellent combo starter at almost all percents. At lower-mid percents you can follow up with a grab, while at higher percents you can follow up with a quick knee.

Of course, I could be completely wrong on this (I probably am), but that's why I'm asking. I would record a match to better describe what I'm saying, but I don't have the equipment to do so. At least, I don't think I do. :o

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Nair as a spacing move is kinda meh against Puff, very narrow hitbox's make it somewhat challenging to get fat juicy hits against Puff who is really good at weaving around Falcon. Uair/bair are usually better for winning air to air combat against Puff.

Having said that, you're right that 2nd hit nair is amazing against Puff. Combos into knee way better than uair, especially >70% if Puff doesn't DI it well. Nair in general gets better hitstun than uair, and getting any knee setups against Puff is super crucial imo.

Incorporate uair/bair for more efficient percent racking, but definitely use nair for those knee setups.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Usually people try to use nair as a combo tool the same way they would against other characters, which fails, and then they declare it sucks. However, I have had great success with using first hit nair, expecting the DI out, and immediately catching them with instant uair. P sure it's a true combo if you're fast enough.

Iffy

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Incorporate uair/bair for more efficient percent racking, but definitely use nair for those knee setups.
What are some instances in which bair and uair can be used? I've seen some other Falcons use uair to combo Puff kinda like how you would combo Marth, but I have trouble getting Puff in the position to do that.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Use bair as a spacing move, get a fat vertical hitbox as you descend with it.

Uair as an anti-air, snipe Jiggs with one and usually more follow naturally.

YungBonesVillain

Smash Rookie
my personal gameplan for puff is switching between two modes

1. dashdance camp and try for a grab/stomp.
a. grab if puff is in lag and cant duck. (if you try to grab a ducking puff you'll get rested) -> dthrow knee
b. stomp if you read puff ducking. -> combo

2. camp backair

captain can move up/down quickly. this can effectively counter jigglypuff's left/right speed, allowing you to camp with backair. i love this against jiggs.

full hop and do two bairs. a rising bair, then a falling bair. L cancel. repeat.

good for baiting and poking. i usually switch to this plan when jiggs is around 70% since one hard bair is most likely gonna kill.

coilerr

Smash Cadet
Another thing that I saw wizzy use to avoid getting rested by fishing for grabs is to use dash grab : falcons dash grab has a bigger hitbox and and a rear hitbox. This can catch some frames of jiggs crouching animation (tight spacing ) and especially you can grab a jigg who's entering her crouching animation.

Last edited:

Iffy

Smash Rookie
Another thing that I saw wizzy use to avoid getting rested by fishing for grabs is to use dash grab : falcons dash grab has a bigger hitbox and and a rear hitbox. This can catch some frames of jiggs crouching animation (tight spacing ) and especially you can grab a jigg who's entering her crouching animation.
Is that true? I'd figure you'd want to JC grab simply because it forces Puff to react faster to your whiffed grabs and is just less punishable in general.

Top Bottom