• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mystery of the 7 Needles - Extensive Lucas Research Thread

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
1. I'll make a Skype for SSB purposes sometime today and edit this.
EDIT: Should be HibiSSB (skype name)

2. Day 1 Lucas evolved to Day 2 Lucas today.

3. Currently trying to pick three characters out of ZSS, Marcina, Roy, Lucas, Ryu. Also depends on how potential future patches change their gameplans. May not sound dedicated but I'm often playing the rest of the day after work since I've usually nothing better to do.

4. As much as my capped bandwidth allows me. Skype will work fine but online play is a hassle (I play locally with my scene), I can either organize info or get data in training mode.

5. Skype GMT ~7pm - ~11pm | SB 24/7

6. I hope everyone knows how to take orders or you'll get to Nowhere. Canadian Rural internet is bad and I'll only play online if I'm the only one available. However I can get some local players to help me once/twice a week.

Eager to start getting good at Smash bros and now that I'm graduated from Highschool I have more time to travel around and git gud.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Ayy... sorry guys. I've been slacking off a little since Super Mario Maker came out (seriously--I'm spending HOURS at a time making levels and sharing them on /v/ and playing other people's level; it's incredibly addictive) but I'll get back to collecting that kill percentage data soon. It's proving to be quite a doozy.

Last edited:

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Ayy... sorry guys. I've been slacking off a little since Super Mario Maker came out (seriously--I'm spending HOURS at a time making levels and sharing them on /v/ and playing other people's level; it's incredibly addictive) but I'll get back to collecting that kill percentage data soon. It's proving to be quite a doozy.

Dude don't worry about it, take your time :). I have been slacking off a bit too <3

This is very tedious work.

Last edited:

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
So guys, try to get kill percents for now. After I am done with Up Tilt, I am going to work on Combos.

For Kill Percents Make sure you do the following

1. Using the Best DI Possible to live
2. SDing after every kill attempt
3. Not In Training Mode
4. If it has a sour or sweepspot, treat it as two completely different things.
5. Use the charts provided under "Vertical Kill Percents of Moves" or "Horizontal Kill Percent of Moves". And then put | after each character name and after each different Percent so I can just copy and paste instead of having to type everything in it(So it would make if faster for things to get done!) Also, please don't put it as a table for now.
6. I will probably test a few to just make everything is correct. If I find things that are incorrect/inconsistent, I will ask you to redo them. I am a very paranoid person that wants everything right.

So use either two of these charts:

Example
Character | 0% Rage | 150% Rage
Jigglypuff | 5% | -5%

would appear as

Jigglypuff | 5% | -5%

Vertical Kill Percents
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
Kirby
Rosalina
Pikachu
Olimar
Fox
Meta Knight
Zero Suit Samus
Little Mac
Falco
Zelda
Sheik
Peach
Smash Shulk
Marth/Lucina
Palutena
Duck Hunt
Toon Link
Diddy Kong
Ness
Greninja
Lucas
Sonic
Robin
Pac-Man
Roy
Wii Fit Trainer
Pit/Dark Pit
Villager
Luigi
Mario/Dr. Mario
Lucario
Mii (Default)
Mii(1/4H, Thin)
Shulk
Mega Man
Ryu
Yoshi
Link
Captain Falcon
R.O.B.
Wario
Ike
Bowser Jr.
Samus
Ganondorf
Charizard
King Dedede
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Shield Shulk

Or

Horizontal Kill Percent
Character | 0% RageL | 150% RageL | 0% RageM | 150% RageM | 0% RageR | 150% RageR
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
Kirby
Rosalina
Pikachu
Olimar
Fox
Meta Knight
Zero Suit Samus
Little Mac
Falco
Zelda
Sheik
Peach
Smash Shulk
Marth/Lucina
Palutena
Duck Hunt
Toon Link
Diddy Kong
Ness
Greninja
Lucas
Sonic
Robin
Pac-Man
Roy
Wii Fit Trainer
Pit/Dark Pit
Villager
Luigi
Mario/Dr. Mario
Lucario
Mii (Default)
Mii(1/4H, Thin)
Shulk
Mega Man
Ryu
Yoshi
Link
Captain Falcon
R.O.B.
Wario
Ike
Bowser Jr.
Samus
Ganondorf
Charizard
King Dedede
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Shield Shulk

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I'm gonna start with up-throw, up-smash and Up-air on Smashville.

Only have myself so DI will be as good as I possibally can. I'll do 0% and 150% for rage. If you need some other data afterwards just tell me

Edit: gunna use kurogane hammer weight rankings so that I can match kill percents with characters if the same weight. Won't do much as its already kinda late but at least it gets a few done quickly.

Mario/Dr.Mario (Weight 98)
Up-throw: 0%- (142) 150%- (102)
Up-Smash: 0%- (85) 150%- (65)
Up-Air: 0%- (137) 150%- (118)

I'll probably update a certain weight everyday, I've gotta get to sleep but I'll continue tomorrow. Should only be one percent margin of error.

I'll fix the format to make it easier for you as well if you need it.

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Weight

Last edited:

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
I'm gonna start with up-throw, up-smash and Up-air on Smashville.

Only have myself so DI will be as good as I possibally can. I'll do 0% and 150% for rage. If you need some other data afterwards just tell me

Edit: gunna use kurogane hammer weight rankings so that I can match kill percents with characters if the same weight. Won't do much as its already kinda late but at least it gets a few done quickly.

Mario/Dr.Mario (Weight 98)
Up-throw: 0%- (142) 150%- (102)
Up-Smash: 0%- (85) 150%- (65)
Up-Air: 0%- (137) 150%- (118)

I'll probably update a certain weight everyday, I've gotta get to sleep but I'll continue tomorrow. Should only be one percent margin of error.

I'll fix the format to make it easier for you as well if you need it.

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Weight

This only works with clone character such as Doc/Mario Lucina/Marth Pit/Dark Pit if I rememebr correctly.

And Yes please make it easier so I can just copy and paste <3.

ANd I have already done Up Throw and working on it, so no need to do it .

You also had incorrect DI for UThrow and I am going to assume the same for Up Smash and Up Air. Try again please. Its okay man, not mad. Make sure you input DI into this and its outside of training mode.

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Okay, I'll do them again, kinda hard using two controllers at once lmao.

And yeah once I'm back home I'll redo Mario and work on someone else.

Last edited:

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Yeah I had trouble landing the Uair as Lucas lol

People, tell me who got who.

I know Poi Yong has Back/Forward Throw and something else.
Naeem or @Brozoco has Uair.

Anything else I am missing?

Last edited by a moderator:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I'll do Fsmash (sweet and sour) and Dsmash (all three hits BRUH). But I have a few questions first.

a) What stage?
b) Can I test it from three points on the stage (close edge, middle, far edge) or do I have to do literally every point?
c) What's the optimal DI and Vector for both of these moves?
d) Should I record fully charged Fsmash and Dsmash data too?
e) Where would Dsmash go? Its trajectory is 45°, so it's exactly both.
e) How do I approach testing the Miis?

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
I'll do Fsmash (sweet and sour) and Dsmash (all three hits BRUH). But I have a few questions first.

a) What stage?
b) Can I test it from three points on the stage (close edge, middle, far edge) or do I have to do literally every point?
c) What's the optimal DI and Vector for both of these moves?
d) Should I record fully charged Fsmash and Dsmash data too?
e) Where would Dsmash go? Its trajectory is 45°, so it's exactly both.
e) How do I approach testing the Miis?
First of all, please read Post 4 of this thread :)

A) Smashville for now because thats everyone favorite stage.
B)
I made a handy dandy chart for you. Its in the Table of Contents too if you ever need it.
L=Hitting from Far left to Far Right(Basically Roll all the way back and hit them accross the stage)
M=Direct middle(Basically Kill your opponent and kill them at that exact spot.)
R=Right to Right blast zone(Basically have your opponent roll at the edge of the stage)

Remember to put "|" after each percent like it does on this

Character | 0% RageL | 150% RageL | 0% RageM | 150% RageM | 0% RageR | 150% RageR

So Jigglypuff would be like

Jigglypuff | 25% | 25% | 25% | 25% | 25% | 25%

and heres the chart. Please use this as I will be able to copy and paste. If you are doing Down Smash all three hits and FSmash, separate it as if it is a completely different move.
Horizontal Kill Percent
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
Kirby
Rosalina
Pikachu
Olimar
Fox
Meta Knight
Zero Suit Samus
Little Mac
Falco
Zelda
Sheik
Peach
Smash Shulk
Marth/Lucina
Palutena
Duck Hunt
Toon Link
Diddy Kong
Ness
Greninja
Lucas
Sonic
Robin
Pac-Man
Roy
Wii Fit Trainer
Pit/Dark Pit
Villager
Luigi
Mario/Dr. Mario
Lucario
Mii (Default)
Mii(1/4H, Thin)
Shulk
Mega Man
Ryu
Yoshi
Link
Captain Falcon
R.O.B.
Wario
Ike
Bowser Jr.
Samus
Ganondorf
Charizard
King Dedede
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Shield Shulk

C) You test that :) Try to figure out what makes them live the longest.

D) Because whatever you are doing is a load of work, you don't have to. We will get that another time.

E) Horizontal Kill Percents

F) Skip the Miis, i got it.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Kinda unrelated, but it should probably be noted that when Lucas' head/foot grows in size for attacks, the hurtbox is still it's original size. This means that every attack he has, even "physical" ones like D-Tilt and U-Air, are disjointed. N-Air is surprisingly the least disjointed attack he has, lol.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Oh, I forgot. How should I handle staling? Each move gets a freshness bonus the first time you use it during that particular stock of your opponent's.

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Oh, I forgot. How should I handle staling? Each move gets a freshness bonus the first time you use it during that particular stock of your opponent's.

SD after every kill attempt.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
This is so tedious.

I have a meet-up on Wednesday so I'll see if any of the guys wants to help me out while I'm there.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Ayy... I swear I'm working on my back/forward throw kill percentages.

Here's a visual representation of the sizes and positioning (approximately) of Lucas's hitboxes during down air.

Lucas - dair.gif

There are two hitboxes for every hit. The body hitbox has a 270° angle and very little knockback, serving only to push an opponent above Lucas into the bigger, top priority (meaning if both hitboxes are overlapping, the one with the most priority will beat out the others) hitbox, which has a vertical 90° angle. Basically what the hitboxes are doing is trapping the opponent between each other. This is the reason why dair will have a hard time connecting if you use it while rising, and fail to connect at all if you fall with it.

The 4th hits are angled 270° at the sweet spot under Lucas's feet, and 361° (Sakurai--basically 45° in the air) at the sour spot in his body.

As you can see the move has very little end lag, so if you finish it in the air chances are you'll only get his regular hard landing lag (4 frames) as opposed to his dair landing lag, which is a whopping 24 frames, or about as much lag as air dodging into the ground.

Also, lol, that's a dead Falco.
Also:
Lucas - bair spike.gif

Three active hitboxes with increasing priority the closer towards his torso. The x's on the sour spots denote a 361° angle and the meteor hitbox has an angle of 280°, so opponents will get launched down and behind Lucas (the Sheik here is DI'ing inwards). Said meteor hitbox is only active against airborne opponents, so that big middle hitbox would have a big "x" for an angle had Sheik been on the ground.

And in all its glory:
Lucas - up air.gif

The hitbox is relatively small for an up air (especially when you compare it to the other Mother representative's), but it does 13% damage and hits frame 7, making it a decent combo breaker. Nair hits frame 5, but it has only 1% priority, so it's extremely unreliable when trying to muscle out of combos. Up air will help you escape a Luigi's combos if they're not on-point, nair won't because all of Luigi's aerials completely out-prioritize it due to their damage output. Also, up air has 12 frames of landing lag, as opposed to nair's 13.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
SD after every kill attempt.
See that's the problem. If that's how we are testing, then it'll be with the freshness bonus (1 extra damage and slight KB increase). So it'll be inaccurate unless you've already factored that in.

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
See that's the problem. If that's how we are testing, then it'll be with the freshness bonus (1 extra damage and slight KB increase). So it'll be inaccurate unless you've already factored that in.
To be honest, I didn't even know about this. Um I will figure something else. I do wonder why Fair does 12% sometimes lol

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Tbh Smash is so much about variables that it'd be near impossible to get precise data for every scenario.

I think freshness bonus for Smash attacks and kill throws are fine as is since they're used rather sparingly.

Most of the time the Smash (6th) sense kicks in when you know you have someone at kill percent.

Last edited:

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Tbh Smash is so much about variables that it'd be near impossible to get precise data for every scenario.

I think freshness bonus for Smash attacks and kill throws are fine as is since they're used rather sparingly.

Most of the time the Smash (6th) sense kicks in when you know you have someone at kill percent.
Yeah i was thinking that. Let the freshness happen. Dont worry about staling.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Quick thing, I watched Esam's video which explained how priority works, which is technically the lack of priority and the mechanics built in which dictate how moves interact.

According to Esam's testing, all aerials trade no matter the circumstances. If both players attacks connect with the opponents hurt box they'll both recieve damage and knockback accordingly.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Gonna drop these here. Forward-hitting attacks.

Lucas - dash attack.gif

14 frames of start-up, hits 15-16, so it's a slow, very short attack but with only 23 frames of cooldown (relatively little for a dash attack) it starts giving you frame advantage as your rage or your opponent's percentage starts to increase. To take advantage of said frame advantage, though, you have to hit with the 75° sour spot hitbox, as the 46° sweet spot hits far too strong to be followed up on. So basically: if you hit with the sour spot, combo; if you hit with the sweet spot, take stage control. A good time to use dash attack is to follow up on a missed tech, but this move doesn't have any long-lasting hitboxes like many other dash attacks, so you still have to be precise with it, like with the rest of his toolkit. The sweet spot is completely disjointed, but the hitbox has lower priority than the sour spot on his hand, so if you touch an opponent with his hand they'll get launched more vertically.

Lucas - forward tilt.gif

The slowest of all of Lucas's tilts, hitting frame 7 as opposed to d-tilt's frame 3 and up tilt's frame 4. Like with dash attack, his hand has priority over the hexagons. Mainly used for spacing or beating out an opponent's slower options, but its 361° angles mean it can cause a jab lock at low percentages. At low percentages, weak f-tilt can combo into strong f-tilt. Also like with dash attack, the sweet spot is completely disjointed.

Lucas - fair.gif

Sweet spot is disjointed, but the sour spot takes priority. You must hit with the sour spot's 361° angle in order to perform a jab lock. It's also a great move for spacing and works great to wall out an opponent when you use it as you retreat. Try not to approach with it as it's got very few active frames (frames 9-12) and a hefty 15 frames of landing lag. Frameswise, 9-10 has the small sour spot (his leg) overlapping the sweet spot (the hexagons). The sweet spot disappears after frame 10, and the only hitbox active from 11-12 is the jab-locking hitbox on his leg.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
How can the arm/leg take priority (which according to ESAM doesn't even exist) over the hexagon? The hexagons are transcendent on fair and ftilt. On dash attack maybe, but I don't think that's true for ftilt and fair.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
How can the arm/leg take priority (which according to ESAM doesn't even exist) over the hexagon? The hexagons are transcendent on fair and ftilt. On dash attack maybe, but I don't think that's true for ftilt and fair.
I'm not referring to that type of priority. I'm talking about the ID's of hitboxes during an attack. Hitboxes are given ID's like 0x0, 0x1, 0x2, etc. etc., and the closer to zero, the more priority they take over the other hitboxes in the same move. What that means is that if any two or more hitboxes simultaneously make contact with an opponent's hurtboxes, the hitbox with the highest priority will be the only one that affects the opponent. Like how in fair the sour spot is the higher ID (0x0), meaning even if the opponent is completely enveloped by the sweet spot, if any part of their hurtboxes touches that tiny leg hitbox, they'll get hit by the sour spot instead of the sweet spot.

Marth is a good example for explaining hitbox priority in attacks. Most of his attacks have four hitboxes: 3 weak ones, and the tipper. The only way to hit the tipper is to completely avoid hitting the opponent with any of the other ones, since the tipper has the lowest (0x3) ID. Roy, on the other hand, is the complete opposite: the stronger the hitbox (closer towards the hilt), the higher the priority, so the only way to hit his sour spot is to completely avoid hitting any strong hitbox lol.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Oh so that explains why Marth gets weak hits when it looks like they'd be tippers, right? Or like how Lucas's dash attack seems to pass through somebody and the weak hit connects if he's close. Interesting, thanks for clearing that up.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Oh so that explains why Marth gets weak hits when it looks like they'd be tippers, right? Or like how Lucas's dash attack seems to pass through somebody and the weak hit connects if he's close. Interesting, thanks for clearing that up.
Roy is kinda BS when compared to Marth because his hitboxes decrease in power gradually as the ID's rise. With Marth, the power simply drops off once you leave the tipper. So... even if you don't hit with the absolute sweet spot on Roy's sword, you're still hitting with a strong hitbox. With Marth it's literally tipper or bust, although his sour spots aren't as weak as Roy's ID 0x3's, which are literally abysmal in kill power.

EDIT: Lol I lied. Just looked again. Roy's hitboxes are strong/strong/weak. There's no real drop-off until you hit the sour spot.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Figured I'm basically almost done with all his normal attacks, so I might as well finish.

Lucas - down tilt.gif

2-frame start-up, hits frame 3; interruptible as soon as frame 16. 76° body hitbox, 42° leg hitbox, 0° foot hitbox. The 0° is denoted as a horizontal line across to show it will always send the opponent straight back without ever putting them in the air; this it the hitbox you use if you're going to extend a jab lock, as the other two will pop the opponent up.

The camera panning makes the hitboxes seem like they have less reach than they do, but they reach pretty far.

Lucas - forward smash.gif

13-frame start-up, hitting frames 14-15; IASA frame 47. Both hitboxes have the same damage output and knockback values, so hitbox priority doesn't really matter here. It's just a solid, fully disjointed whack to the opponent's face, launching at a 45° angle after 42% (361°--Sakurai--angle).

EDIT: I lied. The tipper hitbox actually does 1% more damage than the base, which means hitting with the tip will kill an opponent earlier than hitting them with the base. Kudos to The 0ne The 0ne for pointing it out to me.

Lucas - down smash.gif

19-frame start-up, with the hitboxes hitting at frames 20-21, 29-30, and 39-40; IASA frame 60 (it's exactly a full second of commitment). All hitboxes have the same launch angle (Sakurai), but increase in size while decreasing in kill power. All hitboxes are able to cover the ledge snap area, but the timing is rather strict as the opponent has fairly large windows to snap throughout the move--namely frames 1-19, 22-28, and 31-38.

Edit: Forgot to mention--once a hitbox makes contact, all hitboxes afterwards fail to connect.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
And finally, everyone's favorite move
Lucas - nair.gif

The first hitbox lasts frames 5-23, re-hitting the opponent every 5 frames with the strange 367° semi-autolink angle (I have no idea what it's actually called). What this special angle basically does is, instead of pushing the opponent in the direction Lucas is traveling (like the 366° proper autolink angle), this angle repeatedly pulls the opponent into the hitbox. I think the reason this nair uses this specific angle over 366 is because of the amount of hitlag and SDI the move has due to its electric property. This semi-autolink angle basically "resets" the opponent into the hitbox as they try to SDI and fall out of it. The weak 1% damage output and its weak 20 base knockback means that, despite its special launch angle, it's still very easy for an opponent at low percentages to fall out of the move because it's just not strong enough to keep pulling the opponent at the same speed that Lucas moves. The complete lack of disjoint on the move also means that literally every attack in the game (save knockback-less moves--a.k.a. Fox's laser) will knock Lucas out of it.

Anyway, the long first hitbox (it's all one constant hitbox that activates and re-activates every 5 frames from when it first makes contact) ends at frame 23, then the body-wide launcher hits frame 26, launching at a 60° and dealing a weak 4%. Due to its high knockback growth (a value of 140) and being interruptible a very quick 18 frames after the final hitbox--with an auto-cancel starting frame 37 (or TEN frames after said hitbox--that's almost immediate)--, it has a ton of frame advantage on-hit, allowing you to combo into basically anything you want, given your follow-up can reach the opponent. This is a very fascinating move, overall.

EDIT: Ayy... forgot one of his most valuable tools.
Lucas - zair.gif

8-frame start-up, hitting 9-19. Starts strong(ish) 9-12, dealing 4% damage, the stales 13-19 (hitbox size also shrinks slightly) doing only 2.8%. Strong and weak hitboxes both launch at 45°. Not the 45° you get from the Sakurai angle, just straight up 45°, meaning it will always pop the opponent up, even at 0% damage. Made the gif using Paint.net to edit the frames, at PKBeam PKBeam 's advice. Sorry, KaptenFullkorn KaptenFullkorn , I think I've moved on from trusty ol' MS Paint lol.

Last edited:

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
View attachment 74867
The first hitbox lasts frames 5-23, re-hitting the opponent every 5 frames with the strange 367° semi-autolink angle (I have no idea what it's actually called). What this special angle basically does is, instead of pushing the opponent in the direction Lucas is traveling (like the 366° proper autolink angle), this angle pulls the opponent into the hitbox. I think the reason this nair uses this specific angle over 366 is because of the amount of hitlag and SDI the move has due to its electric property. This semi-autolink angle basically "resets" the opponent into the hitbox as they try to SDI and fall out of it. The weak 1% damage output and its weak 20 base knockback means that, despite its special launch angle, it's still very easy for an opponent at low percentages to fall out of the move because it's just not strong enough to keep pulling the opponent at the same speed that Lucas moves. The complete lack of disjoint on the move also means that literally every attack in the game (save knockback-less moves--a.k.a. Fox's laser) will knock Lucas out of it.

Anyway, the long first hitbox (it's all one constant hitbox that activates and re-activates every 5 frames from when it first makes contact) ends at frame 23, then the body-wide launcher hits frame 26, launching at a 60° and dealing a weak 4%. Due to its high knockback growth (140) and being interruptible a very quick 18 after the final hitbox--with an auto-cancel starting frame 37 (or TEN frames after said hitbox--that's almost immediate)--, it has a ton of frame advantage on-hit, allowing you to combo into basically anything you want, given your follow-up can reach the opponent. This is a very fascinating move, overall.
amazing job as usual :) I will put this as well as the other moves on the page whenever i get the chance.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
View attachment 74867
The first hitbox lasts frames 5-23, re-hitting the opponent every 5 frames with the strange 367° semi-autolink angle (I have no idea what it's actually called). What this special angle basically does is, instead of pushing the opponent in the direction Lucas is traveling (like the 366° proper autolink angle), this angle repeatedly pulls the opponent into the hitbox. I think the reason this nair uses this specific angle over 366 is because of the amount of hitlag and SDI the move has due to its electric property. This semi-autolink angle basically "resets" the opponent into the hitbox as they try to SDI and fall out of it. The weak 1% damage output and its weak 20 base knockback means that, despite its special launch angle, it's still very easy for an opponent at low percentages to fall out of the move because it's just not strong enough to keep pulling the opponent at the same speed that Lucas moves. The complete lack of disjoint on the move also means that literally every attack in the game (save knockback-less moves--a.k.a. Fox's laser) will knock Lucas out of it.

Anyway, the long first hitbox (it's all one constant hitbox that activates and re-activates every 5 frames from when it first makes contact) ends at frame 23, then the body-wide launcher hits frame 26, launching at a 60° and dealing a weak 4%. Due to its high knockback growth (a value of 140) and being interruptible a very quick 18 frames after the final hitbox--with an auto-cancel starting frame 37 (or TEN frames after said hitbox--that's almost immediate)--, it has a ton of frame advantage on-hit, allowing you to combo into basically anything you want, given your follow-up can reach the opponent. This is a very fascinating move, overall.
I totally got a communityboner for your hitbox clarifications. Imo we should in time have a section in the OP for the visual aid and your description (maybe even a small term glossary explaining SDI, IASA etc. to not scare away less labeducated smashers?).

This is by far the thread i lurk most. I got a new job atm that's currently KILLING me, when i've settled in at the workplace I'll try to make some time to contribute aswell.

Keep it up the whole crew, this is gonna be ****ing aces! / Much Love GP

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
I totally got a communityboner for your hitbox clarifications. Imo we should in time have a section in the OP for the visual aid and your description (maybe even a small term glossary explaining SDI, IASA etc. to not scare away less labeducated smashers?).

This is by far the thread i lurk most. I got a new job atm that's currently KILLING me, when i've settled in at the workplace I'll try to make some time to contribute aswell.

Once i get a new laptop i should be constantly updating this more.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman

Kinda like how they do the PM Frame data/hitboxes thread, except ****ter since they actually have access to debug mode and we're going off of approximations and our understanding of dantarion's data dumps.

And by ****ty I mean I made them by downloading Lucas combo videos off of YouTube and adding the hitboxes frame by frame on MS Paint lmao

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Kinda like how they do the PM Frame data/hitboxes thread, except ****ter since they actually have access to debug mode and we're going off of approximations and our understanding of dantarion's data dumps.

And by ****ty I mean I made them by downloading Lucas combo videos off of YouTube and adding the hitboxes frame by frame on MS Paint lmao
O-o. Glad I have adobe...

K3H

Smash Cadet
I've been able to reliably string aerials into a Bair Spike. Have you guys found anything other than Nair X times into it, and Nair>Fair>Bair?

Although the second one doesn't sound like it would work, it's more Morea thing of positioning. They end up above you after the Fair, and then the Bair connects. I feel feel a video of it is in order. https://youtu.be/W5Beo6ao1HI

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I've been able to reliably string aerials into a Bair Spike. Have you guys found anything other than Nair X times into it, and Nair>Fair>Bair?

Although the second one doesn't sound like it would work, it's more Morea thing of positioning. They end up above you after the Fair, and then the Bair connects. I feel feel a video of it is in order. https://youtu.be/W5Beo6ao1HI
Not guaranteed (that Yoshi didn't bother to do anything and was holding right the entire time), but it's a good low-mid percentage mix-up since fair's sour spot won't send them very far.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I-- I can't git gud with Photoshop...
Use Paint.net, it's much simpler and it has a less cluttered GUI.
Actually, if you know the basics of Premiere Pro, adding an image overlay is a trivial matter - it takes probably a few minutes.

K3H

Smash Cadet
I'd like to help with percent testing, but I wanna know if there is an easier way to scale percents, rather than spawning items and lowering percents from their starting number.

Last edited:
Top Bottom