• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mystery Dungeon or core Pokemon games?

Mystery Dungeon or Normal Pokemon

• Total voters

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Man, how do I even compare these two series? I love them both, but they are just so different from each other in concept that I can't really give a definitive answer. The mystery dungeon series certainly has much better story and campaign, but the main series has a pretty big focus on multiplayer battles and other interactions, which mystery dungeon mostly lacks. The main series is about conquest, where you know the map from the beginning of the game, and its just a matter of going to every city, and beating every trainer and gym leader along the way. Mystery dungeon is more about exploration, since you have no idea where your adventure will take you next, and many times you get an option of where to go next.
Basically, I can't really say which one I enjoy more, because they both specialize in very different areas, so whichever type of game I feel like playing on a given day is the one I like more for that day

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Going off of what Muskrat Catcher Muskrat Catcher stated, it's too difficult to compare these two series because they are so fundamentally different. I actually just posted a thread on where you believe Pokémon should go with its franchise, coincidentally.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon took my vote here, because every time I play there is always something new; new items, new dungeons, and new quests are always available. However, for the core series games (referring to ORAS primarily), I am really stuck, and cannot figure out what to do. I have no interests in the craziness of IV training and breeding to perfection, or completing the National Pokédex consisting of 720 Pokémon, so I spend my time organizing boxes senselessly and possibly engaging in some Blissey Base battles. Although I haven't played PMD in a while, if I were to go back to it now I feel the post game would offer much more. There are infinite missions to do (and the dungeons change every time), and entering and exploring dungeons is much more engaging than Pokémon battles against trainers who monotonously use the same Pokémon every time.

In conclusion, Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon will be taking up most of my playtime, especially if a Diamond and Pearl remake is not made. In fact, if a D/P remake isn't made... I don't know if I will be playing the core series anymore, as I won't be too interested.

D

Deleted member

The core games, nothing can beat them. Leveling up and bonding with your Pokemon. Battling gyms. Great solid games. Dungeon is good but the core games are great!

D

Deleted member

Mystery Dungeon is all right, the story in Dusk was pretty amazing for what it was, but the gameplay does get a bit repetitive and I notice Mystery Dungeon games have parts where you can legit get permanently stuck from saving in a wrong portion (after Primal Dialga for example) and not be able to complete the dungeon. I had to resort to cheats after trying a bazillion times and optimal playthroughs. After that it just got way too grindy with the floors and RNG.

Still, it was fun at first. I hope the GBA one isn't like that.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I only played the first mystery dungeon on DS (where the other game was the GBA variant). Whereas I've played every generation of pokemon. So core series wins it for me.

That said, the new one looks tempting, how are reviews?

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Weird to see how Mystery Dungeon was an unpopular series until now.

I used to play the main series a lot, but when DPP came out I kinda lost interest, and the newer games are total garbage. (It's hard for me to mention those games without getting upset) Same thing with the Mystery Dungeon series, there was that thing called Gates to Infinity that is comparable to an heresy. While I enjoyed Firered, this game being a huge portion of my childhood, when I got my first Mystery Dungeon, I played it so much, that one of the components Inside overheated and broke; I am not even kidding. Eventually I bought it back and I am still playing on occasions, as I focus on Melee and Skyrim. I also played the Explorers, but never owned one. I plan to buy Explorers of Sky soon tho.

While I friggin love those games, I doubt they have a great future, as Nintendo is turning the main series to a childish non-difficult game, and that they completly annihilated the series with their first 3DS installment for the Mystery Dungeon series. But I'm going to get Super Mystery Dungeon tonight, and it's actually the last chance for Nintendo to bring me back, or I'll just leave and play my old games.

One thing: I couldn't care less for graphics, I just don't. Just give me a good game, and don't give me some garbage from your impressionalist culture!

Edit: Forgot my answer lol: Mystery Dungeon ftw! They offer a much better gameplay and story than the main games, and it is actually very challenging.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I like the main games better. I still enjoy both but the main series has always been more fun. Yeah the main series "has gotten too easy" or whatever. Honestly, I randomly decided to play Fire Red again for the heck of it and it was a complete joke difficulty wise.

If I want difficulty I just play a ROM hack or Insurgence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom