• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mysterious Controller Lag

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
I just recently (yesterday) hooked my controller into my computer and attempted to play online. Playing when not connected to the internet works just fine, with very slight lag between controller movement and character movement. However, whenever I start an online game, this lag between my movements and my character's skyrockets, making it very difficult to play. I assumed this was due to my 78 ms of lag, but I was playing with someone with higher lag who said he had no problems of this sort.

Is there anyone who can help me? ALSO, 78 ms is horrible for a wireless link to a cable modem. Help on this topic would also be appreciated. Thank you very much.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
everyone on west coast has 78 ping. you just have to get used to it really, comes to you after about a week or so.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
Are you serious? People actually PLAY like this?! I thought playing online would actually be similar to playing Smash Bros in person or maybe at least have a passing resemblence to it.

How do you people even attempt to hold competitions? It's a completely different game than the one I know.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
that delay is milliseconds though, 78 ping is less then a 10th of a second. there's no way he can be 2 seconds off.

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
The people who are wrong are in this thread are: JaimeHR, SuPeRbOoM, and the last half of BHLMRO's sentence.

The people who shared opinions are: malva00, Kso4351, M3tr0iD

The delay for any given game on EGX is as follows:

LAN - 2 frame delay
Excellent - 5 frame delay
Good - 8 frame delay
Average - 11 frame delay
Low - 14 frame delay
Bad - 17 frame delay

The higher the delay, the less lag, the lower the more lag. This actually isn't how Kaillera should work, but I don't want to bother rewriting EmuLinker to support multiple connection types and yada dada, people will complain.

Another thing that contributes to delay is: MessageSize....

MAME = 2 bytes
Mupen64 = 4 bytes
Pj64k = 24 bytes

The server will defiantly make some nice delay for pj64k... ty

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
Urgh...sorry if my first response sounded a bit upset. I had thought that there was this magical link across the internet that allowed us to play with skilled players from all over the globe with relatively low lag - perhaps like some other multiplayer games I've played (Subspace:Continuum, anyone?). I thought that we had this over Melee, the ability to easily play online with others without having to hack another game's online functionality to do so. I dreamed of competing to my full potential with the big names on Smashboards without having to drive to California or New York (or Spokane, Metroid - we still have a money match to finish).

I was apparently mistaken.

Would starting a West Coast server do anything for this problem? I'd like to do everything I can to bring my naive vision closer to reality, and if I can't do anything I'll try to get used to the lag. I'll try to get over this disappointment, but it is sad that Kaillera Smash is a pale shadow of the original.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
Would starting a West Coast server do anything for this problem? I'd like to do everything I can to bring my naive vision closer to reality, and if I can't do anything I'll try to get used to the lag. I'll try to get over this disappointment, but it is sad that Kaillera Smash is a pale shadow of the original.

- Captain R.D. Obvious
No, but using a special Peer 2 Peer client that I have would allow for 1 frame delay (16 ms), and very low lag. Although the client isn't done, and I believe it desynchs with Mupen64. You are always going to have a delay... you can do the following though.

Type /setdelay 1 inside your game to reduce the delay by 50%.

malva00

Smash Master
d00ds i just tried that p2p thing okaygo was talking about. it's amazing!

i just played with a japanese friend with the best delay ever for that distance

Top Bottom