• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My ZS Samus Analysis (video)

LordKKs

Smash Rookie
Yo Guys, I need some feedback about my ZS Samus. I never played Zero Suit before the new Smash, but im really liking her, and wish to improve my game with her. Recently i lost in one of my local tournaments to my friend that plays Diddy Kong, and i would like some insight about what to do against him.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PshFt35C4Y

Something that i noticed is that im doing alot of random Fsmash...maybe i need to use less Dash Attack too..

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
You went for smashes way too often, especially that fsmash. More than half of the time that Diddy hit you was because you were left opened after a misplaced smash attack. That, and then there's the simple fact that you misjudged the timing of your attack versus his coming back on the platform at 3:28.

I also noticed that, for whatever reason, on at least 2 separate occasions, you couldn't followup quickly enough after a partially charged down-smash that connected. What gives?

Last edited:

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
How's it going? I watched your video and noticed right away that you were indeed using too many f-smashes. With her f-smash, you want to confirm it by either hitting with a down smash or by "shootin' da gun". Her f-smash can be easily punished if you miss it. Also, now that I notice, you didn't hit many stun guns. I'm not sure if you know how to b reverse, but that would help as well. I also noticed that you were using up-smash more as a ground attack than an anti-air. Up-smash can also be punished if missed. Because you got no stun guns, you got no grabs either, so you got very little setups. And you should also work on your nair spacing a little bit more. Other than that, you had pretty solid play. Hope this helps. c:

David Viran

Smash Lord
You went for smashes way too often, especially that fsmash. More than half of the time that Diddy hit you was because you were left opened after a misplaced smash attack. That, and then there's the simple fact that you misjudged the timing of your attack versus his coming back on the platform at 3:28.

I also noticed that, for whatever reason, on at least 2 separate occasions, you couldn't followup quickly enough after a partially charged down-smash that connected. What gives?
Dsmash follow ups at low percents are actually kind of hard. You have to react really fast or you get nothing. Even at higher percents of you go for fsmash you want to act as quickly as possible so you can charge it more.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
Dsmash follow ups at low percents are actually kind of hard. You have to react really fast or you get nothing. Even at higher percents of you go for fsmash you want to act as quickly as possible so you can charge it more.
The thing about down smash is this: It will always send you up and away when you get out of hitstun, so it is possible to downsmash >dash past them > and jump and up-b them when they escape hitstun. Nairo does it a lot.

LordKKs

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah Raisin, i didn`t land much stun guns, i will try to b-reverse, to see if i get more of those. The Upsmash i also tried to use as an anti air but he has higher than the upsmash reach, which would be better to hit with an Uair, but thanks!

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
The thing about down smash is this: It will always send you up and away when you get out of hitstun, so it is possible to downsmash >dash past them > and jump and up-b them when they escape hitstun. Nairo does it a lot.
They can DI dsmash to get launched at a different angle though so it's risky with up b.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
They can DI dsmash to get launched at a different angle though so it's risky with up b.
True, but if they DI a direction I don't go in, I'll either change what move I do afterwards, or I just back off. It's a nifty thing to go for from time to time.

David Viran

Smash Lord
True, but if they DI a direction I don't go in, I'll either change what move I do afterwards, or I just back off. It's a nifty thing to go for from time to time.
You go for up b to kill but I feel one of the most reliable ways at kill percents to hit is with a partially charged fsmash. It has slightly more ko power than diddy's fsmash when partially charged.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
You go for up b to kill but I feel one of the most reliable ways at kill percents to hit is with a partially charged fsmash. It has slightly more ko power than diddy's fsmash when partially charged.
Oh, going for the f-smash kill's fine too, but sometimes, the 2nd hit will miss at kill percent if spaced incorrectly because the first one knocks you back just out of range. So, for example, I hit an uncharged down-smash. I'm about a half-character's length away and I go for the f-smash. 1st one hits, 2nd misses. If I were closer, both hits would have hit, but since I did not charge my down-smash, I don't have enough time to walk forward and go for an f-smash. So, to fix this, if I know my f-smash isn't going to connect fully, that's when I go for the out-of-hitstun up b, if that makes any sense haha.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Yeah I guess I mean you can like shudder step fsmash to get closer but you lose a couple frames meaning less charge.

Edit: By the way we already have a video analysis thread.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Yes I noticed that as well when I testing my down smash -> foxtrot-> boost kick finisher.
Thing about it is that they will get launched highigg enough for followups when they reach a certain % threshold.

@ LordKKs LordKKs

What character (s) did you used to main because the aerial pressure you were trying to dish out was kind of insane the good kind.

I am going to assume as well that the moments you were pivoting before dropping down and up airing so that her back hit hits them was you being aware as well.

There was also somewhat Very nice patience with the downsmash charge reads, I say somewhat because they were good attempts while the timing was slightly off you even looked like you were stumbling onto an idea I was tinkering with to get 2 downsmashes on a target before following up (I. E time it so the last active frame of downsmash hits them giving you 4 frames to reapply it and proceed to follow up).

When your in situations like that you can probably cover your bases with something minimal like holding jab when they spot dodge your downsmash (especially if you are behind them with their back turned) or you can live by the boost kick and die by the boost kick @DeLux spokesmodel for boost kicks R Us.
xD

Rules of thumb
-f-smash generally a no no unless they are stunned or hardest read.

-charged lasers depending on their location = a free grab or down b kick (spike if st the ledge/offstage or just a gtfo knockback for breathing room)or even down b burial to boost kick upon landing.

-fast fall nairs can be good hit confirms to land flip jump kick spikes off stage or areial combos. At low % s you can get downsmash (if they were not already stunned) to more fast fall nair combo starters.

-you said you were going to tart b-reversing lasers and I approve but take it from the queen zss of over using lasers if you like your stock sparringly or to see how they react is probably your best bet.

*bonus tip* if you can force people to do dumb rolls to one side of a bf platform try to get a laser on them to force them to slide off if your positioning is right re laser them to force their get up. Walk/foxtrot over and get your self 1-2 free downsmashes and a boost kick.

Afterwards taunt and profit ; ).

Last edited:
Top Bottom