• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Young Link (1 video)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
general advice : work on spacing and prediction

fair is a good move when spaced right, don't want to get shield grabbed by that dirty bird lol

Falco had some big opportunities for kills he missed here, a lot of which during edge guarding (or a lack thereof) being a Falco and YL player I know Falco can hog that ledge with invincibility and Dair pretty much anything.

my biggest advice would be to use projectiles more as predictions. Falco is going to jump at some point, make sure a boomerang is over his head when he does. I constantly throw boomerangs at the highest angle in such a matchup.

Falco is pretty rough for YL though. **** lasers...

From grabs, dthrow tech chase is cool but difficult to do consistently.

I would also suggest maybe some more dash attacks as a ko move especially against FFers like Falco.

One of the things I love to do personally is full jump a nair, and if he jumps it hits, or if he doesn't, do another air move (uair or another nair perhaps) as you fall, which works out kinda nicely if it hits or if he thinks you'll be vulnerable.

another fun idea is when you're on the same platform with Falco *others too* drop down, then DJ back up. If he is still there, uair or something. If he jumped (!!!) waveland on the platform and follow his jump. It's fun, if it works out... Prediction is key, imo.

yay Young Link <3
good stuff

Laijin

Smash Hero
-Don't spam up b, especially for edge guarding. Against falco, n-air will usually kill him for the edge guard about 95% of the time. If at low percents, you can double n-air falco for the gimp(Think sheik's back air gimp on spacies, but with n-air ;)
-Throw bombs over his lasers. It'll keep him from spamming
-You seem to have a thing for fire arrows. I personally dislike them since you can't combo off of them. But they work sometimes :\
-Spam n-air!
-Spam up-smash! :O
-at close range when you have a bomb in your hand, its good to jump and bomb drop if you have no other options.
But good stuff overall. Keep playing

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
says you... who told me once that bomb drops weren't a good edgeguard

and look at you now... Lai fire attack? really? remember what was it, Falconpunchion when I was like "bomb drop dair is a cool edgeguard" and you said it wasn't useful?

har har, Laijin :p Arrows rule, experiment more. Seldom use, cause when they start expecting boom and bombs, a arrow is like "wait, wut?"

I'm gonna get you with the RC fire attack next time we play (that's the one where I hit you with an arrow, a bomb, and a fire spike in like 1 second) sure I've only done it once but C'MONNN

on a real note, wonder when/if I will see you again? darn the distance between SC and FL...

Laijin

Smash Hero
says you... who told me once that bomb drops weren't a good edgeguard

and look at you now... Lai fire attack? really? remember what was it, Falconpunchion when I was like "bomb drop dair is a cool edgeguard" and you said it wasn't useful?

har har, Laijin :p Arrows rule, experiment more. Seldom use, cause when they start expecting boom and bombs, a arrow is like "wait, wut?"

I'm gonna get you with the RC fire attack next time we play (that's the one where I hit you with an arrow, a bomb, and a fire spike in like 1 second) sure I've only done it once but C'MONNN

on a real note, wonder when/if I will see you again? darn the distance between SC and FL...
Take a trip down here!
I cant take road trips cause I pretty much have school 24/7. lol.

wtf. That sounds awesome.
Arrow, bomb, fire spike..
I'll experiment with that.
The Lai-Fire and the RC-Fire has to go in the instructional vid lol

Skyson

Smash Ace
general advice : work on spacing and prediction

fair is a good move when spaced right, don't want to get shield grabbed by that dirty bird lol

Falco had some big opportunities for kills he missed here, a lot of which during edge guarding (or a lack thereof) being a Falco and YL player I know Falco can hog that ledge with invincibility and Dair pretty much anything.

my biggest advice would be to use projectiles more as predictions. Falco is going to jump at some point, make sure a boomerang is over his head when he does. I constantly throw boomerangs at the highest angle in such a matchup.

Falco is pretty rough for YL though. **** lasers...

From grabs, dthrow tech chase is cool but difficult to do consistently.

I would also suggest maybe some more dash attacks as a ko move especially against FFers like Falco.

One of the things I love to do personally is full jump a nair, and if he jumps it hits, or if he doesn't, do another air move (uair or another nair perhaps) as you fall, which works out kinda nicely if it hits or if he thinks you'll be vulnerable.

another fun idea is when you're on the same platform with Falco *others too* drop down, then DJ back up. If he is still there, uair or something. If he jumped (!!!) waveland on the platform and follow his jump. It's fun, if it works out... Prediction is key, imo.

yay Young Link <3
good stuff
Working on this. Spacing is something that I'm having an odd amount of difficulty grasping. Anything based around defensiveness or predictability is commonly tough for me to get. I know spacing is also important for offense, but I do too much looking at what I'm doing rather than thinking about what I'm doing.

I was being really predictable partially due to the stage. Dream Land's platforms inhibit a lot of options for hopping around and tossing projectiles, and the ground level is the only place to really throw them across without anything in the way. Then, it presents the fact that Falco's lasers laugh at Young Link and force him over.

Sionnach hardly ever goes off stage to edge guard, only to ledge hog really. I'm pretty sure I punished him enough with recovering Up-B to make him not want to try anymore. He's pretty comfortable with chilling on the edge and waiting for the return, being a Roy player with lolol Flare Blade. <_<

I h8 using dash attack as a finishing move because of how often I get shieldgrabbed whiffing them. I much prefer throwing it as an end to a combo due to its quick start up time. It self-combos nicely, but I throw it into a shield too often.

Projectiles as prediction sounds interesting, I always did the opposite and used them for unpredictability. Granted, it's a lot tougher to do when most of your options are "use projectile, toss at opponent" on bigger stages like Dream Land. I'm all about approaching with different attacks to throw opponents off, but I obviously didn't do that well.

Thanks for the advice about the aerials (n-air is godly, I need to use more of it) and dropthru platform aerials. Never hurts to have a few quick surprise attacks.

-Don't spam up b, especially for edge guarding. Against falco, n-air will usually kill him for the edge guard about 95% of the time. If at low percents, you can double n-air falco for the gimp(Think sheik's back air gimp on spacies, but with n-air ;)
-Throw bombs over his lasers. It'll keep him from spamming
-You seem to have a thing for fire arrows. I personally dislike them since you can't combo off of them. But they work sometimes :\
-Spam n-air!
-Spam up-smash! :O
-at close range when you have a bomb in your hand, its good to jump and bomb drop if you have no other options.
But good stuff overall. Keep playing
I was on a bit of a craze at that time with using Spin Attack on the ground. I had gotten hilarity from using Spin Attack to tech chase, watching them tech-roll or getup roll right into the start of Spin Attack, taking about 14~15% each time. It was really effective for a while, so I was experimenting with it. I don't think I'm going to be a great competitive player because I always want to try something new in a match. I've found a few nifty combos and techs out of doing it, but it creates huge gaps in my consistency. But when Falco is the opponent, experimenting needs to be set aside, preferrably replaced by more n-air. :O

I do have a thing for fire arrows in some cases. I'll usually shoot arrows instead of bombs when I got hit off the stage and recovering. I'll sometimes fire a couple uncharged arrows against a recovering an opponent because I find them faster and more spammable in an open situation. It makes it a little more hazardous to recover amongst a couple arrows rather than a single bomb or boomerang. I should try the Lai-fire attack for kicks, but not on Dream Land. It's kind of big vertically.

Up smash? I used oto use a bit of it, but I quit using it as an offensive option because of its short reach and seemingly small priority. I do like how it has practically zero ending lag, and can follow up into almost anything right afterwards. It seems like Spin Attack comes out the quickest after an Up smash, and it almost looks like a moving combo, swinging the sword up then suddenly whirling around. It gets shielded fairly easily, though. It leaves Young Link vulnerable from the sides and isn't super quick. I prefer up tilt in most cases, since it is a lot faster and arcs almost entirely over his head. I'll try it out a little more, though.

Thanks for the tips with n-air and bomb drops, I might have an opportunity this weekend to record some more friendlies. I'll upload what I can if I get anything cool.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Is there lag when you guys are playing because of the dvd recorder?

If there is, buy some RCA splitters that consist of 3 ends. 2 female ends and one male. It seems that you guys were playing with lag in my view =\ but then again I'm not sure.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I should try the Lai-fire attack for kicks, but not on Dream Land. It's kind of big vertically.
Well. Thats why I have another variation of that edge guard. I call the Lai-Fire spike :O (Creative, I know. lol).
Its literally a bomb drop d-tilt for the meteor smash.
Literally, no one will ever see this coming. Its an awesome trump card.
Its worked against players like M2K and Korean DJ when I played them. Its absolutely amazing, but can only be used a few times against smart players since they'll be able to see it coming after repeated use. But they will ALWAYS be surprised by the first couple of times and which this almost gaurentees that they will usually HIGH LIKELY lead to a free stock :]

Top Bottom