• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Triforce of Wisdom in action (Zelda Vids...Advice Wanted)

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)

ssjyoshi

Smash Rookie
Not bad in my opinion, although your zelda is nearly the same as mine, but i would use the down tilt more because it stuns the opponent alot and sets of for combos.

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
hmmm, ssjyoshi you had some sweet moves.....but its hard to judge skill from just a combo vid...im sure it doesn't always work out like that for you, lol. Still some awesome stuff, and if you always do that well....well then ****., haha. I've pulled off some stuff like that, always feels great.

and to FinalKai....some nice vids as well, although you play like me...its kinda stale which is a problem i can't get over myself. Nice use of Dins for spacing though, keep up the good work, both of you. Someday ill make a Zelda vid i hope. But as of right now i am taking a short haitus from using her cause i stopped doing well with her cause i got to predictable. Can't wait for some new Adv. Techs to, that'll make Zelda more versatile and able to use more aggressively!

bobknob

Smash Cadet
final:

no zelda tips, but with zamus, short-hopping her over-B is the best way to attack. basically just shorthop and use over-b as you land, kind of like old falco's shl, and use the time that you're in the air to space the attack.

you're prolly one of the best zeldas on youtube right now.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
That Zamus/Ganondorf game was intense.

Actually most of them were.

Firstly watch the Zeldaport - I'm not sure if you read the thread about 16-way Teleport, but it's good to read. You might have just misjudged the momentum on that one though, but I can't tell.

Overall you're pretty great as Zelda. But you might want to try practicing with the Uair - I think it's a good antipriority Ganondorf's Thunderstomp. Not sure, can someone back me up?

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha...one of my fears is that i'll end up playing Zelda like everyone else...which i guess is kinda happening already considering everyone feeds off of these forums for tactics and strategies...but i guess i just gotta try to keep being unique.

Personally i think i need to work on being patient a bit more and forcing my opponent to attack rather than me rushing in...i noticed i used her dash attack a lot more than i thought...and it's not exactly the best approach.

Also...i want to try to use U-air a lot more as well...but it's really easy to predict...and i have yet to find an effective way to implement it into my game.

Her Dair is another move i want to use more...but it's extremely risky and a lot less reliable than Dyn's fire

but yea...i think i might need to work on being a little less frantic...and implement her tilts more.

And thanks for the compliment Bobknob...i'd certainly like to think that i am...but somehow i feel like i'm only average in relation to the global smash community

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Her Dair is another move i want to use more...but it's extremely risky and a lot less reliable than Dyn's fire
Too risky unless they already upB'd. The sweetspot is so close to her foot it's not worth it at all. In casuals you can probably do this, but it might be a bad habit to learn.

~preCurser

Smash Cadet
I only watched the snake vid, so I'll just speak from that. After down grab, if they arn't getting caught by your neutral aerials than mix up with bair (kinda hard to hit) or running u-smash. Didn't really see any heels, so smeh. If din's spam isn't working, as in they are used to it, mix it up and go in for grab or anything really because nothing is worse than a predictable din's spam. Also, snake is really really open to d-air spike on his recovery. Its almost too easy when you can get above him on his up b. As long as you can easily get above them, dair isn't really isn't that risky at all. It great when they are level or below the stage. It also has a good suprise factor for most people. Tilt workage and use abuse dsmash like you do with usmash, its a lot safer/faster. Its also great for KO if you haven't been spamming it or you just died. Ground game is good, but her aerials are what make her epic (best for KO, imho).

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I watched the Zelda v. DeDeDe and the Zelda v. Ganondorf.

Your self-critique is very good: you are a very very good Zelda player, and the worst thing about your play is use of dash attacks and franticness.
To be honest when i saw those shield grabbed dash attacks, i just thought, that looks really bad but i would have done the same thing. We can't be perfect, and I think many Zelda players probably have that error. Don't feel bad about that, focus on other things.

Since you are a better player than me it seems, read skeptically:
Does Ganondorf's forward B cancel shields? If it doesn't, IMO your ganon game needed a tad more shielding, especially when he's falling back to the stage. When a character falls back to the stage and you are guarding, he will generally try to hit you or take the ledge. And if he wants the ledge, he'll probably get it, so just worry about shielding.
More importantly
In your versus Ganon game, there were lots of places where it seemed to me you could have mixed it up with SH>AirDodge>Grab. It's not the best approach in the world, but it helps mix things up.

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
I only watched the snake vid, so I'll just speak from that. After down grab, if they arn't getting caught by your neutral aerials than mix up with bair (kinda hard to hit) or running u-smash. Didn't really see any heels, so smeh. If din's spam isn't working, as in they are used to it, mix it up and go in for grab or anything really because nothing is worse than a predictable din's spam. Also, snake is really really open to d-air spike on his recovery. Its almost too easy when you can get above him on his up b. As long as you can easily get above them, dair isn't really isn't that risky at all. It great when they are level or below the stage. It also has a good suprise factor for most people. Tilt workage and use abuse dsmash like you do with usmash, its a lot safer/faster. Its also great for KO if you haven't been spamming it or you just died. Ground game is good, but her aerials are what make her epic (best for KO, imho).
Yea i didn't use her heels too much cause i didn't really feel like i had any good opportunity to hit with them...at least while playing...looking back on it i guess i could've tried a few of them in some places...but i guess i was just defaulting to more reliable attacks rather than trying to be precise with my heels.

I feel like Snake doesn't give you much opportunity to dive in and stomp his face with heels.

I think i prolly need to work on implementing her heels a bit more...but spamming them really kills their knockback...so i don't use them liberally. I once was able to get 4 heels in a row on my friend's Wario...and i was only able to do so cause he wasn't at a very high percentage and the knock back on them was already significantly reduced...regardless...doing 4 heels in a row is still very epic...but that kinda defeats the hole purpose of them to begin with...i feel like they're supposed to be meant for killing and not comboing

Also...i'm trying to implement Dair when fighting snake a bit more but usually players (or at least the one's i've played) like to use his upB way above the stage so getting above him doesn't seem like a possible option.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Also...i want to try to use U-air a lot more as well...but it's really easy to predict...and i have yet to find an effective way to implement it into my game.

Here's an idea: You can jump at someone, and either use Uair for the dropped Uair technique (only on tall characters), or input a Din's Fire with C-stick DI backwards (you don't necessarily have to B-stick to do this).

This will look the same up until a time where you'll either be a moment away from blowing them up, or you'll suddenly reverse your momentum and cast a Din's at them, which you can aim into the ground, or in the air, or whatever.

The difference in timing means they can't perfect shield, uhh, perfectly.

I just thought of this. Like, the moment I read the quoted sentence.

I also happened to come across your Snake vid before and my critique of your play is. . . in another castle thread. The aptly named "Zelda vs Snake (matchup strategies)".
... I was pretty harsh, but I stand by my comments.

Top Bottom