• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Tips for Playing as Kirby/Potential Uses for Kirby

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Well, Kirby is below Pichu on the tier list, that makes me a bit sad. So, I've decided to become a Kirby main to try and bump Kirby up and get people to give the pink blob a chance. So I'm going to post this and share some of the things I've discovered about Kirby. (Note: Some things may have been discovered by others before me, but I'm just posting what I know) (Second note: This is going to be long.)

First of all, let's start with Kirby's signature ability (not the Kirbycide, I'll get to that later): Copy. Now, the few people I've seen use Kirby never use Copy, and they will try to use Kirby like Jigglypuff (sticking to using the moves that they share). Well, I find that Copy is quite usefull, and I shall explain why.
First, Copy does a small amount of damage after swallowing, as well as sending the swallowed victim flying back a small distance, but let's focus on the damage part. Now, I tested how much damage it did and found that it decreases the more you use it, starting off at 8%, then going down to 4%. However, if the swallowed victim is KO'd, it resets to 6% instead, then decreases to 4%. After Kirby is KO'd, it goes back to the original 8% to 4%. I hope that made sense.

But why do we want to swallow (aside from dealing that small damage)? Well, I thought of a strategy to make it usefull for more than just stealing an ability.
The strategy is quite simple: First, use Copy to steal the oponent's ability. This allows for you to change the momentum a bit as the victim is going to have to react to this sudden change. Next, you need to try to knockback your oponent far enough so that you have enough time to taunt, which will get rid of your ability. What do you do after that? Rinse and repeat.

Now that we have Copy out of the way, I'd like to take a short amount of time to mention one of Kirby's most usefull abilities and strategies: His shield.
When you play as Kirby, ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS use your shield, more than you would with any other character. One of Kirby's weak points is that it (Kirby is genderless, so I use it instead of he or she, because I'm a grammar nazi) is easy to KO. So when playing as the blob, make sure to attack of of shield as often as possible. Got it?

I just remembered something about Copy, so I'll mention it now before I forget again.
You would not believe just how many people will run into Kirby while its trying to suck someone in, so try to position yourself where you won't be hit easily, and also try to use it when it wouldn't be expected.

Next, let's talk about grabbing and Kirbycides.
Grabbing is also one of Kirby's best options, as his up throw and down throw can put some distance between the oponent, as well as deal a small amount of damage. And then there's the infamous Kirbycide. Kirbycides are risky and almost always not worth it. It's easy for an oponent to break out of a foward/backward throw (same thing goes for Swallowciding), leaving you die alone. HOWEVER! There is a way to use this to your advantage (the breaking out part, not the dying alone). But before that, I should point out some things about Kirbyciding.
Good uses for Kirbyciding: Making the stocks even (Ex: Both players have 4 stocks, but the Kirby player has 112% while the oponent has 30%). Ending a match in a funny way.
How to use a Kirbycide: Bait the oponent towards the edge, fight them off for a bit to distract them, then grab and back/forward throw off the stage.

Now we're done with Kirbycides, in short: they're risky and have some, but now much, payoff. Try not to use them. So now onto how to use someone breaking out of your back/forward throw to your advantage!
First thing you should know is that you should NEVER try to back/forward throw near the edge, unless you know how far it goes. Keep that in mind as I go over the advantages of someone breaking out of your back/forward throw.
When someone breaks out of your backwards or forward throw, they are forced upwards a bit and have a short period of time in which they cannot do anything. while in the air, they are an easy target for many of Kirby's moves, some of which are kill moves. For more info on that (since I'm too lazy to type it all) I recommend either testing for yourself or reading t!mmy's Kirby guide.

Let's take a break from talking about tips for using Kirby to instead talk about some potential uses for Kirby, or more specifically, how it could be used in teams.
Strategy 1: I thought of a strategy for teams that I recently found out would work. The strategy would be to have a partner that has a good neutral special (such as Captain Falcon, Fox, or Falco to name a few) and use Copy on them at the start of a match. I know it's a bit simple, but I think if it was used with by a Kirby player teamed with another good player whose character has a good neutral special, some damage could be done.
Strategy 2: Instead of using Copy to gain an extra abillity, it could be used to help a teamate recover.
These are just a few simple uses for Kirby, but there are many more that can be used that you should find for yourself.

Back to using Kirby, let's talk about recovering.
Very odly, despite the fact that it makes no sense what so ever, Jigglypuff's jumps are better for recovering than Kirby and in general Jigglypuff, a Pokemon that happens to look like Kirby can recover better than Kirby, who in his own games can fly. Okay I'm getting a bit off track. Anyways, Kirby kind of sucks at recovering. Kirby's Up Special is predictable, it's jumps are low and run out quickly, and if Kirby is off stage in the first place, it was probably knocked off, meaning it's at a high percent, which is bad for a light and easy to KO character. So, do the following if you get knocked off stage:
Step 1: Jump towards the stage and use Fair with your jumps, jumping only when your previous jump has taken you to your maximum height (it's hard to explain).
Step 2: When you get close enough to the stage, air dodge to land on the stage.
Step 3: After landing, roll away to risk getting hit while also moving at a good speed.
If you are on the edge, then there are a few good anti edge guard options to get back on the stage, including the circular hammer (side special while in the air), Uair, Nair, Fair, and sometimes even Cutter (Up Special) works too.

This is all I can really think of now, I'll try to update it with new stuff whenever I think of it.

See Biscuit

Smash Rookie
I too want to try to main Kirby, but so far the only reliable kill move without my opponent being at %200 is mu Uair. Do you know of any other good ways to take stocks from opponents?

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I too want to try to main Kirby, but so far the only reliable kill move without my opponent being at %200 is mu Uair. Do you know of any other good ways to take stocks from opponents?
Kirby has quite a few random kill moves. Sometimes the hammer mutilatates and sometimes it doesn't. Also, Kirby's dair is one hell of a spike. Kirby's up smash can sometimes rival Fox's, but at other times it doesn't. Kirby is wierd like that.

Top Bottom