• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My thoughts on Dragonball Kai.

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1162]My thoughts on Dragonball Kai.[/drupal]

I'll won't beat around the bush, I am a fan of the Dragonball series. Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Dragonball GT. But to be honest I didn't know what to think when I heard that they were doing a remake of Dragonball Z.

This remake was only announced recently, so details are somewhat sketchy. Apparently, they are making completely new openings and endings. I had neutral feeling for the opening of Dragonball Z. So I just hope that the new opening is good. I also hear that they are updating the animation. This is good, because dragonball Z is looking really aged. Especially when you compare the animation to more recent series.

This is the Dragonball Z opening.

And this is the second opening to Bleach, a more recent anime.

All of the Japanese voice cast that are able are to coming back. Shame, I was really hoping they would get a new voice actor for Goku and Piccolo. They haven't said anything on the music, I'm guessing they're going to rerecord the original score and use that. It's also going to be presented in Wide-screen format. Not the same way that Funimation did it in their Seasons releases of the series, but they're going to draw more to the sides and make it actually wide screen so it won't look stretched if you're watching it on a big TV, that's good. But one thing that kind of bugs me is that there is only going to be 100 episodes as apposed to the original 200 something episodes. I just hope that the reason why that is is because they won't be remaking the fillers.

When times comes for this series to come to the US, I have full confidence that Funimation will do a superb job dubbing it, just as they have with their recent re-releases of the Dragonball Z and GT series. I just hope that they don't air it at some ungodly hour of the night (like most anime is) so that normal people can actually watch it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ok, I'm more curious as to what exactly Dragonball Kai is now.

or whatever...?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, they are basically making a new series of Dragonball Z with better animation but having the exact same story, etc.?

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
and without the stereotypical ima charging my kamehameha for 2 episodes straight? sorry.. but i've never liked this anime due to over stretched dialogue. >_< i can barely watch naruto sometimes due to the dialogue..

i really do hope this gets better

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
and without the stereotypical ima charging my kamehameha for 2 episodes straight? sorry.. but i've never liked this anime due to over stretched dialogue. >_< i can barely watch naruto sometimes due to the dialogue..

i really do hope this gets better
Or like when Goku charged up the Spirit bomb for many episodes only to drop it or something.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Wow I havnt heard about this yet, sounds intersting. I dont know how they are going to fit all that standing around and powering up into 100 episodes though.

Skrah

Smash Ace
I was being too general lol.

At least in Dragonball the dubs were horrible. Compared to mexican dubs in any case. Most animes that I watched the mexican dubs were better, but I'm sure that there are some good dubs out there.

finalark

SNORLAX
I was being too general lol.

At least in Dragonball the dubs were horrible. Compared to mexican dubs in any case. Most animes that I watched the mexican dubs were better, but I'm sure that there are some good dubs out there.
The first DBZ dubs to air were horrible, but they've recently released them uncut with the original music, new dialog, ect. in the US and those dubs are really good. And the only dubs I've seen are US, so.... yeah.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
okay, someone has to explain to me why people would prefer Japanese voices over English voices... seriously... why...?

finalark

SNORLAX
okay, someone has to explain to me why people would prefer Japanese voices over English voices... seriously... why...?
In some cases the Japanese voices fit the character better or are just nicer to listen to. I honestly will watch anime either dubbed or subbed, just so long as the dub isn't heavily edited or just plain off crappy.

Skrah

Smash Ace
The first DBZ dubs to air were horrible, but they've recently released them uncut with the original music, new dialog, ect. in the US and those dubs are really good. And the only dubs I've seen are US, so.... yeah.
Yeah, I seriously hated Goku's voice, and most of them really. Vegeta and Trunks and a bunch of others sounded like they were eternally pissed. And one thing I haven't understood is why do the US dubs do a new opening instead of using the Japanese one?

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, I seriously hated Goku's voice, and most of them really. Vegeta and Trunks and a bunch of others sounded like they were eternally pissed. And one thing I haven't understood is why do the US dubs do a new opening instead of using the Japanese one?
US dubs stopped using new openings a long time ago, now only 4Kids does it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, I see. It's just going to be remastered.

Re-dubbed with some scenes edited.

Eh, whatever. I actually liked the crappy dub of Dragonball Z.

kong_korps

Smash Apprentice
are you guys kidding me? the eng dubbs on dbz was gooood, vegatas voice absolutly PERFECT for him, goku sounded just like the guy he is (always hyper, happy, good hearted). i think the eng dubs are great.

i cant wait for this now!...

is there a release date or sumthing?

finalark

SNORLAX
are you guys kidding me? the eng dubbs on dbz was gooood, vegatas voice absolutly PERFECT for him, goku sounded just like the guy he is (always hyper, happy, good hearted). i think the eng dubs are great.

i cant wait for this now!...

is there a release date or sumthing?
It's coming out in Japan in April, meaning that we'll probably get it at either the end of this year or at the start of next.

Top Bottom