• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

my tech skill isn't helping me...

red stone

Smash Ace
yeah so i play a couple characters. usually shiek, marth, falco, or mario

anyways, i try to be really flashy with them. i wavedance, wavedash everywhere, fair to waveland, double shine, dashdance, and a bunch of other stuff.

yeah, so i look really fast on screen. however, this doesn't let me win easy. if fact, i do worse.

so instead, i try moving less. i do subtle movements for spacing, and just enough motion for mindgames. whoa, i do much better. i observe my opponent more, and punish them faster.

the problem is that when i play that winning style, i don't look as impressive. so what should i do?

Rock Lobsta

Smash Journeyman
depends on if you like to win or lose. Its up to you.

Im sure if you just played alot more you can incorperate flashyness into winning too, take phanna for example.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Speed and mindgames are two things. They do not automatically integrate with each other. Your slower play is better for now, but more limited in terms of potential. Learn to pay attention to your character when you're moving fast, and try to incorporate your mindgames into your quicker movement.

Adi

Smash Lord
The problem is you're thinking about yourself more than the opponent, once all the flashy jazz becomes second nature to you you'll find it easier to incorporate into your gameplay.

psicicle

Smash Ace
Compromise- do that stuff inbetween stocks. It kinda works as a mindgame too because they might be like "oh crap he's like bombsoldier"

th0rn

Smash Lord
just because you can wavedash and DD really fast doesn't make you good. You use advanced techniques to help you play smart, not to be random.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Its not about looking good, its about winning.
Technical skill and mindgames are totally different.
Techniques are like tools for your use, mindgames are like your priority to win.
That dosent mean wavedashing and the like to look good is bad, but doing it to simply look good isnt the key. Doing whatever you simply can to win is the key.

Top Bottom