• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My struggle with this game.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
Latley I have been lacking on my gameplay, I usually win 9 times out of ten against my friend, usually win online. But for a while now I have been losing, even to level 9 computers. Its confusing me why im getting worse as I practice more. Often leaving me irritated, and in turn making me worse in general.

HSmileyFace

Smash Rookie
I dunno about you, but I find that if I play for an extended period, more than an hour at one time, I tend to get worse. But all it takes for me is to have a break for a few hours.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The fighter that you choose can play a factor too. I find myself to have less trouble fighting a level 5 Bowser Jr. when I'm using Rosalina than if I were to use King Dedede.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Also, worth noting that level 9s are far more precise on perfect shields and punishes than most humans, making them actually a larger threat than a lot of people. There's also the mental aspect. Some days you win, some days you lose, and passive mood changes can influence your skill in subtle but noteworthy ways.

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes you just have those periods of time where you just lose a lot more (having one of those right now lol). Plus about level 9 CPUS, they are not a good thing to practice with. Go practice against human players instead. Also try not to get irritated when you lose. Learn from your losses. Save replays of your matches and you can try recording it and put it on a video critique thread if you want tips. Hopefully I helped. Have a nice day!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You can get overheated from playing too much. If you find yourself in a situation like this, and if you seriously start to question your skills, it's a good time to take a break and chill out for a bit.

You'd be amazed at how even a simple period of wind-down can help you relax and improve yourself next time you play. Mental well-being is just as important as physical in a game like this.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
Personally, I find that when I take extended breaks (like a weeks or 2) from a certain competitive game it helps me feel refreshed the next time I play and I feel like trying new characters or strategies. I think when you grind too much sometimes your game feels too one dimentional because you've got recent games on your mind. So my advise is take a break for a while, play something that's not a fighting game like cod or wow or whatever you enjoy playing and return when your mind is clear

Last edited:

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Seems your having a "off day",it happens to everyone.best thing to do is take a break,play something else,watch tv,etc.

Kromeste

Smash Rookie
To me, it seems like you are just burnt out on Smash. Try simply taking a break and focusing on "non-smash" related activities for a time or just slow down on the training and play against weaker CPUs (Who knows, maybe turn on items!). Those two strategies work for me. As for the "level 9 CPU" conundrum: I have found that level nines have one or two frame reaction times to human inputs i.e. nearly instantaneous response times. Therefore level nines are fairly unrealistic practicing opponents, instead, try playing against level seven CPUs. Level sevens are the most human-like in terms of reaction times, in my opinion. Hope this helped!

D

Deleted member

I feel like I'm in the same boat. Lately I feel I haven't been up to my potential and I feel I have been lacking. I play too much I think and must have gotten burned out. Everyone suggests to take a break but I personally find it hard to because I feel like I have become addicted and when I'm not playing I'm thinking of when the next time I can play again. I'd hate to not play, you know?

Dark Socks

Smash Rookie
NNID
turtlebizniz
3DS FC
3325-2131-5764
I find myself loathing my time playing sm4sh more and more. And every time I find myself coming back worse and worse. The people I used to beat easily now can two stock me with spam. It's sad because I used to have alot of fun while trying to improve but now I CANNOT see past my failures. It's all I see when I play sm4sh now and I can't even play with friends anymore because my mood would be toxic to their good times.

I've tried secluding myself and practicing via training. I used to play on For Glory but I get destroyed on there constantly and I just can't stop it no matter how much I practice. That and nowadays I get trolls telling me I suck. I was excited to play this game when I got it and believed I would play it well into and past it's time span but now I see myself wanting to quit because now all it does is ruin my day and beat myself down.

It's been like this for a long time and calling it quits for good seems more and more reasonable, but despite this I still remember the love I have for this game even if I hardly feel it anymore.

D

Deleted member

Don't feel bad about losing to level 9 CPU's on Wii U, they are totally cheap as they play by entirely different rules and can counter literally instantly. The same mechanics for fighting real people don't always apply to CPU's for this reason.

But yeah, you win some, you lose some. You can't win all the time but as long as you try to, and put the effort in you'll always come out a winner. And of course, you'll win the matches sometimes as well!

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Latley I have been lacking on my gameplay, I usually win 9 times out of ten against my friend, usually win online. But for a while now I have been losing, even to level 9 computers. Its confusing me why im getting worse as I practice more. Often leaving me irritated, and in turn making me worse in general.
It's worth noting that there IS a behind-the-scenes matchmaking system in for glory. You could just be playing against better players.

Lugihui

Smash Cadet
All the times you have been losing memorize all of the things they did and try do learn new ways to dodge it or counter it.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I don't claim to be good at the game...

But computers are rarely good practice.

I can often beat a level 9 CPU, but only if resort to very simplistic tactics... namely dash attacks the specials applicable, and close with a smash attack. Gimping, ariel combos, or any combo for that matter... and the like are doomed to fail. Oh and grabs... don't even bother as they will always be a tad faster than me and will mash out of it before I even realize I have them grabbed. I have been told, then agreed, that computers read our inputs and react... different than a player who has to see something happen on screen and react, or read what we are going to do and take the risk of being wrong.

This needs to be addressed in a patch imo... Smash is a mutliplayer game, but the single player should be useable training for multiplayer... not something that teaches bad tactics that most human's learn to counter pretty well, relatively early in their training.

In closing... they are a terrible measure of a person's skill so don't put to much stock into it.

Last edited:

Modkiq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Modkiq
Maybe you should try mixing up the characters you play a bit. I myself have to pick different character after I play with the same characters for too long. If you are using your main 90% of the, maybe you should give the character a break, and play for somebody else for a while. You gotta give your mains a wait xD

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Sounds like you've hit 'The Wall'. Best thing to do is save your replays, take a break for a bit and rewatch them as a spectator. You'll be able to be more analytical on your playstyle when you aren't knee-deep in hell. Also, get some of those replays to the your character's video critique thread, as you'll get some vets to assess your style and give pointers on how to tweak it for optimal performance.

Otherwise it's relax, give yourself proper breaks after long sessions so the new sensory data can process in your brain (there is a reason you're supposed to rest after an hour of intense studying in school or gameplay), use spectate mode to watch how others fight or go through the video threads here and see if you can see the same issues the vets point out to others.

You've got a lot of avenues to pursue in order to improve and knock down that wall. We've all been there, and we'll all hit the wall again in the future as our styles plateau and evolve.

PS - don't practice against lvl 9's as they are programmed to cheat. If you can't go online, use 7-8 cpu level or amiibos to train yourself in the different Match-ups.

haydyn

Smash Cadet
That happens to me against level sevens, its probably because you win so much you stop trying as hard but trust me its not just you :p .

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
Sounds like you've hit 'The Wall'. Best thing to do is save your replays, take a break for a bit and rewatch them as a spectator. You'll be able to be more analytical on your playstyle when you aren't knee-deep in hell. Also, get some of those replays to the your character's video critique thread, as you'll get some vets to assess your style and give pointers on how to tweak it for optimal performance.

Otherwise it's relax, give yourself proper breaks after long sessions so the new sensory data can process in your brain (there is a reason you're supposed to rest after an hour of intense studying in school or gameplay), use spectate mode to watch how others fight or go through the video threads here and see if you can see the same issues the vets point out to others.

You've got a lot of avenues to pursue in order to improve and knock down that wall. We've all been there, and we'll all hit the wall again in the future as our styles plateau and evolve.

PS - don't practice against lvl 9's as they are programmed to cheat. If you can't go online, use 7-8 cpu level or amiibos to train yourself in the different Match-ups.
I wish I had a way to post replays. I don't have a capture card xP

Thanks for the tips though. It was good help, I never thought of watching my own replays.

Pyraxy

Smash Rookie
It seems a bit generic but take a break or try to play with something on the line, friendlies are fun and all but if you do too much it just becomes a drag later on.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ Raethien Raethien I've seen replays that are only a camcorder recording the replay from the tv screen/3DS screen. You don't need high quality equipment to record for critique. If you don't have any equipment, than I'm not telling you to run out and buy it. I'm just saying that if you REALLY need some outside critique, you'd be surprised how far a Cell Phone recording will go.
:-)

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Do your Smashing in careful moderation. Long sessions can wear your mental being down quite a bit, so take breaks often.

Also, level 9 CPUs in this game don't make for good training dummies, given how ridiculously precise they are.

BrokenFiend

Smash Rookie
I dunno about you, but I find that if I play for an extended period, more than an hour at one time, I tend to get worse. But all it takes for me is to have a break for a few hours.
It's not hours for me per say, but I've been playing League of Legends for years and I tend to get AWFUL with my play after playing for like 3 months, every single day. I then take a break of a month or so, playing something else, losing interest in the game due to my inability to get better. I come back, and suddenly play more perfect than I ever have before.

So sometimes, yeah, the best way of improving is to just take a break from the game, maybe theorize about plays to make, then come back and just execute them on your first try.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I would suggest taking a break from competitive play for a bit. Try to enjoy yourself more, if you get too mad, you might just abandon the game altogether or simply play without reason. Also, don't practice against level 9s They're practically inhuman, level 8s are much better practice.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
This does happen to me every once in a while when I play against Lv. 9 CPUs as Mega Man and Lucina, mostly her. What I do is just take a break from this ordeal for a little while and do something else.

Top Bottom