• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Slightly Defensive Gen V team

ss118

Smash Master
Before we begin, yes I have extensively tested this team!

The first four members of the team provide the primary core to the team, with the other two providing support in one way or another.

Hippowdon @ Lum Berry
Sand Stream: Impish
252 HP, 28 Attack, 100 Defense, 120 Sp. Defense, 8 Speed
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Slack Off
Roar
This starts off the team if I'm playing Dream World, and even if I'm playing wifi I find myself often starting with it. The EV spread owes an explanation; max HP for taking hits on both side, 28 Attack EVs for guaranteed 2HKO on max HP Deoxys-s. 8 speed to beat other Hippowdon(happens more than you'd think), with the 120 Sp. Defense being nice in avoiding 2HKOs from stuff like randomly mixed Tyranitar. The rest was put in Defense. Earthquake is primary STAB, Stealth Rock and Sand Stream bring the earliest(and best) bits of residual damage into play as fast as possible, with Roar for general scouting and screwing over of stat boosters. Slack Off guarantees that this hungry hungry hippo is here to stay for a while. Lum Berry helps with sleep leads, as well as helping with random freezes/ burns. It also helps if Toxic Spikes ever become popular.

Skarmory @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Sturdy: Careful
252 HP, 4 Defense, 252 Sp. Defense
Brave Bird
Spikes
Roost
Whirlwind
Probably the MVP of the team, handling the majority of Sand Stream sweepers such as Doryuuzu, among others. The Special Defensive spread is optimal for the threats I bring it in on, such as Jaroda, the Lati's, and Shaymin-s, among others. Besides, Skarmory's defensive stats and typing are good enough to take the majority of physical attackers, especially in combination with Hippowdon. Brave Bird hits MUCH harder than people give it credit for, and with Grass and Fighting types on most teams it has surprisingly good coverage. It also helps that all of the newest dragons have terrible defensive stats. I use Leftovers in Wifi(until I hit a Magnezone) and Shed Shell in Dream World, since Shandera is much more of a threat with Shadow Tag.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Liquid Ooze: Calm
252 HP, 120 Defense, 136 Sp. Defense
Boiling Water
Evil Eye
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Raaaaaaaawr I just find this to be too awesome. Toxic Spikes **** the majority of teams, and makes it sooo much easier to wear down on everything. The EV spread I use optimizes his overall defenses and gives me the greatest chance of getting down a layer. Liquid Ooze over Clear Body as an ability because screwing over Leech Seed and Drain Punch users is fun. In wifi battles I find myself going to Tentacruel if not Hippowdon first, since I may find that early-game Toxic Spikes might benefit me more than Sand Stream(which very much hinders Tentacruel, but you can't have everything). Boiling Water provides good STAB that helps cover his physical side, and Rapid Spin helps to keep my side clear of residual damage(though I don't use it very often atm). Evil Eye will generally be in effect since my opponent will often be burned or poisoned, making it easier to keep away ghosts on stall teams.

Doryuuzu @ Balloon
Sand Throw: Jolly
4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Earthquake
X-Scissor
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Wow this is awesome. Hits 604 speed in Sand Stream makes it a super special awesome revenge killer if need be, but it also has the potential to be an incredibly potent sweeper thanks to Swords Dance. What's really awesome is that stall has problems with this because you 4x resist SR and take nothing from Spikes(as long as you have the balloon) or toxic spikes. Balloon also helps with other Doryuuzu and Ditto(in Dream World), as well as general counters. Earthquake is primary STAB, Rock Slide covers flying pokemon, and X-scissor hits grass types.

Burungeru @ Leftovers
Water Absorb: Bold
252 HP, 216 Defense, 40 Sp. Defense
Surf / Boiling Water
Shadow Ball
Recover
Will-o-Wisp / Toxic
Probably the [2nd] most controversal member of the team, this guy keeps all my residual damage around. I prefer the physical defensive spread to accomidate better for the type of pokemon I bring him in on. I'm still working on him, so any suggestions(or replacements) would be most appreciated.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Natural Cure: Bold
152 HP, 252 Defense, 104 Sp. Defense
Seismic Toss
Wish
Protect
Toxic
I use this girl for wifi. I don't like her, but she does the job very well. HOWEVER, when it's available(such as in Dream World battles) I use

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Eccentric: Jolly
252 HP, 4 Defense, 252 Speed
Transform

Covers weaknesses, whatever.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Wow... What's with that Washtom weakness? Well, minus the Blissey ofc. Oh yeah, Washtom can Trickspecs bliss too! Tentacruel and Burungeru are kinda similar dontcha think? Buut whatever floats your boat.

Hi! :)

ss118

Smash Master
hello. =)

Yeah Rotom-w has been the bane of this team on numerous occasions. Unlike Lanturn, it doesn't sport the ground weakness that makes it easy to take out. It has an easy time coming in, and I have a hard time dealing with it once it is in. My only solution I can think of is to include a grass type somewhere, but the first four pokemon are guaranteed, and generally so is Ditto if I have it available. That leaves only Burungeru available for both teams, or just Blissey if I want to replace her... which I might, considering she's a dumb ***** lol

Hmmmm.... both time I started using Erufuun?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Lightingrod Seaking walls washtom... lol
Storm Drain Gastrodon also walls washtom

I never thought Erufuun was that good. Since it has Starmie-like defenses. Which reminds me, some washtoms pretend to be Starmies by running HP Ice. I wonder if Eru's prevo is any better with that Evolution Stone, probably not since Lefties is needed for subseeding to work. Do you think Celebi or Shaymin would be good? They each have Natural Cure to absorb status like Blissey, so they can use Rest to wall forever. Seed Flare and Leaf Storm to kill waters, Leech Seed a- blah, you should know what they do.

Instead of Grasses, Dragons also do well at thwarting washtom...

You know, Rain teams are kinda demolishes sandstorm, since the combination of Ludicolo, Kingdra, and Zapdos just ruins all your dudes. Blissey might be needed to beat them...

ss118

Smash Master
I like the idea of using a dragon over a grass type. I've been using a bunch of random grasses, but to no avail. I'll probably use Latios, since Specs Draco Meteor just ***** everything. Period.'

Or I can use LO with Roost. But that requires thinking...

Erufuun isn't that good. I had yet to use it so I thought I would try, only to be severely disappointed. =/

Top Bottom