• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My range and deadzone for N64 controller...

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
So I just recently got and tested out the N64 usb adapter (the black one with 2 controller ports, from play-asia, same one everyone seems to use). I got the n-rage 1.83 plugin and everything works fine, but I have to have the range on 100% and deadzone at 0% for it to feel normal like on the console. I tried about 70-75% first and couldn't even run or crouch. 100% range makes it feel pretty normal. However, my joystick isn't THAT bad... it feels smooth on console.

Anyone else have similar experiences, or is my stick near the end of it's life? :ohwell:
One of the small screws in the controller pak part is stripped, so I can't even open it to put a new stick in the future. :(

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
Well, there's no problem right now, but anything less than 100% means it will be worse, so as the stick gets even slightly worse, it won't even be usable at all. It still feels better on console than at 100% range on the emulator. I don't know why. The stick isn't too horrible, yet.

Imainlowtier

Smash Cadet
So the option "True N64 Analog Range" isn't working then? I'm thinking of lubricating the stick's insides so it stays good for longer.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
Make sure the adapter/controller is calibrated in the control panel.
That's it! Thank you. I never had to calibrate my xbox 360 controller, and didn't even know they could be calibrated on the computer. The "default" setting is actually really bad for the stick, that's why I was having trouble. The default setting covers like half the actual range of the stick, not sure why. Got it set at 80% range and 5 deadzone know and it feels just like on console.

Top Bottom