• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Personal Tier List (Nov. 2017)

Smash Rookie
https://smashboards.com/tiers/#1,20...,4.D#16,11,15,10.F#1,26,19,21.12,13,11,10,8,0

Completely based off the knowledge I have of melee so far (Been playing competitively since Christmas 16'). I don't expect anyone to agree with this tier list especially since it's my first one. I also didn't put Fox his own tier since i believe that the other viable characters, on a human level, can beat fox efficiently , so long as the person knows the matchup and percentages.
Not saying Fox isn't OP or that he's on the same technical level as Marth, Falco, Shiek, ETC. A TAS Fox can do some of the craziest **** that a TAS Shiek or Marth just can't do, at a AI level Fox is almost unbeatable, he has thee best tools in the game, but when it comes down for a human to execute everything that makes Fox a broken character, like doing perfect legdedashes, shine out of shield, triple shines, ETC. It can be difficult, especially in a tournament setting. (we all get nerves in tournaments, most noticeably when you fight someone who you know is ranked far beyond you)
With that in mind there are still a lot of actions that can be easily done with Fox like, single hit u-air, shine spike off stage, u-smash & u-air at anything over 100% (depending on stage and character) ETC.
Conclusion, on a human level Fox isn't completely unbeatable, or so hard to beat to the point of where I'm worried about having to fight a Fox in my bracket. If you use a viable character and know the matchup, he's not that extremely hard to kill.
I see that on human level any other of the top 8 viable characters can beat Fox, which is why I didn't give him his own tier. He just isn't that unbeatable.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Never in a thousand years would Ness be considered better than Dr. Mario. His match-up spread is atrocious. He has no range or fluid, practical hitboxes to work with.

Ness sucks.

Roy is arguably bottom 5, as crouch-cancelling negates his neutral completely, and he is combo fodder, but he isn't the absolute worst character.

Ice Climbers have very good results with only one unfavourable match-up, which is Peach. Ranked rather low.

Otherwise, it's not too shabby.

:038:

Milky2Milk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
I think you have to rethink some of your placings...

:?:

First, let's start with :kirbymelee:. He has quite a few high level players maining him, but he is definately a bad character. He has no kill power, bad range and one of the worst recoveries in the game! Along with the worst throws in the game.

:roymelee: Isn't as bad as you think he is. He has a good dash dance and grab and has alot more kill power than :kirbymelee:. The only thing that holds him back is his inability to deal with crouch canceling, but his is definately better than :kirbymelee:, :pichumelee: and :bowsermelee:.

:drmario: is actually a good character.
He has good kill power, combos and a really powerful edge guarding move in his :GCR::GCB:. Most people believe he is a solid high tier, but :luigimelee: is a much popular pick because of his wavedash and combos, even though on most tier lists say that :drmario: is above :luigimelee:.

Even though I don't 100% agree with some of your placings, I respect your opinion and think your list is pretty solid.

:starman:

Smash Rookie
Why does Roy get beat by pichu?
I put Roy and Pichu in the same tier? Not implying who can beat who.
If you're asking why i put them in the same tier, it's because they're both pretty bad, Pichu takes damage when doing certain attacks, and Roy has a noodle/dager as an sword.
But Roy vs. Pichu is probably 50-50, I actually have no idea.

I think you have to rethink some of your placings...

:?:

First, let's start with :kirbymelee:. He has quite a few high level players maining him, but he is definately a bad character. He has no kill power, bad range and one of the worst recoveries in the game! Along with the worst throws in the game.

:roymelee: Isn't as bad as you think he is. He has a good dash dance and grab and has alot more kill power than :kirbymelee:. The only thing that holds him back is his inability to deal with crouch canceling, but his is definately better than :kirbymelee:, :pichumelee: and :bowsermelee:.

:drmario: is actually a good character.
He has good kill power, combos and a really powerful edge guarding move in his :GCR::GCB:. Most people believe he is a solid high tier, but :luigimelee: is a much popular pick because of his wavedash and combos, even though on most tier lists say that :drmario: is above :luigimelee:.

Even though I don't 100% agree with some of your placings, I respect your opinion and think your list is pretty solid.

:starman:
Thanks man, yeah i'm aware that kirby is actually a pretty solid low tier, seen some combo videos from TripleR, he makes Kirby look so sick.
I know Roy isn't that bad, he has some decent MUs against some of the cast, but as an overall character a lot of his moves IMO just really suck, all his aerial moves barely do any knockback, but now that i think about it, he could be a D tier
Doc is really good i know this, it just the only person really showing Docs potential is Shroomed, I would definitely put him in B tier if more people could can prove that Doc can consistently beat some of the A & S tiers.

Never in a thousand years would Ness be considered better than Dr. Mario. His match-up spread is atrocious. He has no range or fluid, practical hitboxes to work with.

Ness sucks.

Roy is arguably bottom 5, as crouch-cancelling negates his neutral completely, and he is combo fodder, but he isn't the absolute worst character.

Ice Climbers have very good results with only one unfavourable match-up, which is Peach. Ranked rather low.

Otherwise, it's not too shabby.

Thanks, I don't believe Ness is better than Doc, but i do believe Ness has some hidden potential though and that they're in the same tier, i wanna see Shroomed do more with Doc against the better characters, to really show Docs potential, if so I'd put Doc at B tier. (I know he uses Doc against top level player every so often, but I'd like it if he did it more constantly, like instead of him using Marth as a secondary, use Doc) My opinion on Doc will most likely change the more i see players play him, and the more i see him do really good constantly against the upper tiers.

Last edited:

Ty Gillis

Smash Rookie
I believe that Falco should be higher than Marth considering that falco has an insane dair, the best neutral b in the game, and shine.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I believe that Falco should be higher than Marth considering that falco has an insane dair, the best neutral b in the game, and shine.
Well, Falco is slower in the air than Marth and Fox, and his lasers can be powershielded. This leads to a significant hamper on his neutral; which is admittedly what matters the most at top levels of play. Marth can play so safe, and has beautifully large, sweeping hitboxes that can reliably control space. Marth has the largest non-tether grab in the entire game. It's fast and heavyweight to medium weight characters can easily lose a stock from one.

That's the argument I could present for Marth being second. However, due to Falco's absolutely ridiculous advantage state / combo game, damage output, and kill potential, I think he has a slight edge, personally. Could go both ways.

Smash Rookie
Yes he does, but he's extremely easy to kill when he's off stage, and a lot of other things that factor into it. Pretty much what Yhii said is the truth, it goes either way in a handful of situations, at least in my opinion.

RafsterMC

Smash Rookie
Welp, everyone's back to thinking falco sucks again...

I agree with the jiggs placement though. IDK why anyone would place peach higher.

Smash Rookie
Welp, everyone's back to thinking falco sucks again...

I agree with the jiggs placement though. IDK why anyone would place peach higher.
I know Falco is a good character, we just need PP to help develop his metagame more to be honest, there's so much more potential in Falco.

Yeah, I would normally think the same way about Peach, but Armada makes Peach look like a way better character than she seems, because of his incredible micro spacing, if more people would play Peach similar to how Armada does then, IMO she's 3th-5th best character in the game.
Plus one of her moves give off +40% if you DI wrong, and she just hits like a truck in general, especially in the punish game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Roy isn't the worst character in the game. That's reaching as hell really.

And you overrate Ganon/underrate YLink IMO. YLink and Ganon should trade places. At least with YLink he has pretty good MU's VS Floaties.

IC's shouldn't be that low as well. I would put IC's and maybe Yoshi in A Tier.

And Ness being that high on the list? Not over Link and especially not Doc.

I do like how you have Marth > Falco and Puff > Peach though.

Last edited:

Smash Rookie
Roy isn't the worst character in the game. That's reaching as hell really.

And you overrate Ganon/underrate YLink IMO. YLink and Ganon should trade places. At least with YLink he has pretty good MU's VS Floaties.

IC's shouldn't be that low as well. I would put IC's and maybe Yoshi in A Tier.

And Ness being that high on the list? Not over Link and especially not Doc.

I do like how you have Marth > Falco and Puff > Peach though.
Well this is a personal tier list, I listed what I personally felt about all the characters weakness & strengths and put it in a tier list.
I didn't do research into it, I used my experience.

That being I know I'm wrong on most of the low tier **** as I'm trash at low tier placing, but I understand where you're coming from when you say Ness is too high, or IC is too low.
I barely see low tiers play each other let alone at a tournament lmao.
Wish NC would have more low tier crew battles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom